“No garden but who cares!!!” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Hotel Jardines de Monteverde

You added Hotel Jardines de Monteverde to your Saves list
Hotel Jardines de Monteverde
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Cerro Plano | 350 meters northeast of Cerro Plano Public School, 00506, Costa Rica   |
Ranked #14 of 18 Hotels in Monteverde
Escazú, Costa Rica
“No garden but who cares!!!”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 18, 2014

Ok, I must agree that the place is somehow difficult to acces but only if you are driving a 50 seats bus, if you are driving a small vehicle there is just no reason to complain.

Place is small, but the way staff welcomes and makes you feel that is what makes a difference, they are always open to help and move you to another room whenever it is available. Breakfast is limited but God knows it tastes good!!! so let's stop complaining and let's start enjoying your trips!!!

Room Tip: Rooms outside the main place (cabanas) are definetely quieter!
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (15)
Canada
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 16, 2014

I stayed here as part of a group tour, and this was the worst hotel on the trip. It's inconveniently located outside the town up a steep hill. It's not impossible to walk anywhere from here, but you'll want sturdy shoes and a bottle of water. Actually, you need sturdy shoes and bottled water in your room as well. The building is shabby with many cracks in the walls/floors/doors/windows, so all the local insects will come in to visit you. The tap water is not safe to drink. The room was reasonably clean, but very run-down - plumbing falling apart in the bathroom, looks like it hasn't been painted in decades, paper-thin walls, etc. My roommate and I were lucky as we actually had hot water in our room - most of our group didn't.
Not the worst hotel I've ever been at.... but probably the 3rd worst. Avoid.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled with friends
Tulsa
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 4, 2014

This hotel has a great view from the top of a ridge. The reception lady, Natasha, was very helpful and made several calls for us to help set up activities and had lots of helpful advice and brochures. Heads up: they only accept cash. The room we had on the second floor was spacious with nice wood paneling. The TV was useless but we didn't have time to watch it anyway. The bath had a great shower with good water pressure but the sink was very small. Another heads up: Garmin couldn't find the hotel, be prepared to ask for directions.

Room Tip: Ask for the rooms on the second floor with the wrap around porch
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled with family
Los Angeles, California
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 19, 2014

Going on a group tour of Costa Rica, I expected the rooms to not be so great, and was open minded. I was pleasantly surprised in most towns. This hotel, however, should not be in business, and I have no idea how they have such high reviews.

I know this review may sound over dramatized, but it is absolutely not. The place should be avoided at all costs.

I stayed there for two nights in March 2014 with a group of 17 people on a country-wide tour. Every single person in our group was appalled and tried to book a room in another hotel, had it not been that most were booked.

The place itself was filthy, filled with bugs, thrown together like a shack. Seriously, we were all wondering whether it was just a small home that had shanty-like rooms added on and called a hotel. The location is outside of town on a hillside, so no walking to town. The beds were absolutely horrible.

When we arrived, 50% of us had no hot water. Two people changed rooms, and still had no hot water. Those that did have hot water, it only lasted halfway through one person's shower, at most. The toilets all had a sign not to throw toilet paper in them, but to use the waste bin...grose. When I tried to use my bathroom sink, it pulled right out of the cabinet. We didn't have to worry about the shower draining slow, because the floor had become separated from the wall, with a big crack.

No hotel should be on septic, let alone septic and well water. I would not even use the water to brush my teeth, and recommended to our group not to use it. Some still used the water, and a few got sick...I'm not sure if it was from the water or not, so I can't confirm.

There were no windows to the outside, only a hallway (which obviously was outside at one time and had a filthy plastic roof). There were cobwebs everywhere, spiders everywhere, and my roomate was getting bitten by red ants that were coming in through a crack in the floor by his bed.

The walls were paper thin, you could full-on hear conversations in the next room. In the room next door, they must have killed at least 10 spiders the first day. In another room, the girl found live termites.

I tried to watch a little TV, but there was no cable. There was one channel that barely came in. When I tried to adjust the rabbit ears, the antenna just fell off and fell to the floor.

The food was horrible, so don't buy the breakfast for $7. When I checked out after the second day, the woman at the front desk must have screamed everybody's name at least three times to get their money for the breakfasts before they left. I paid $28 for myself and my roomate for the two days' breakfast, only to find out later that my roommate had already paid for the both of us the first day so we ended up paying twice for that day.

I paid to have my laundry done, and one of my nice shirts came back too small, and another missing. I knew it wasn't even worth mentioning, because every time someone complained, they just said "oh, okay". No hot water...."oh, okay". We've got spiders...."oh, okay". They were pleasant, but not helpful.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled with friends
Boston, Massachusetts
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2014

I stayed here with my husband for 2 nights in January 2014. Grace and Natasha are both absolutely lovely. From the time I called to make the reservation (same day!) to the time we checked out they were full of smiles and offers to help with anything we needed. Since we were not planning to spend a lot of time in the hotel, we were going to take one of the small rooms downstairs, but Grace upgraded us to one of the spacious rooms upstairs on the balcony. Being January, it was VERY windy, but the wind actually was nice to sleep to. Grace said that was typical for December and January. Both mornings we awoke to amazing rainbows that we could see perfectly from the balcony, and one night we even saw a moonbow, which I didn't even know existed until then! After getting chilled spending a day in the cloudforest (which is very damp, as you would imagine!), we came back to nice hot showers before walking to dinner (there are at least 3 restaurants within walking distance). Our breakfast time was arranged the night before (included in price) and the table was set for us when we went down to eat. The cook is very sweet, and the breakfast and coffee was good. Can't beat fresh Costa Rican fruit! The wifi connection was good both in our room and in the dining room, allowing us to research local activities. My only suggestion would be to improve the signage to the hotel, and if possible, make the signs reflective so it is easier to find at night for those driving.

Room Tip: Go for a room off the balcony.
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
Seattle, Washington
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 18, 2014

When we pulled up we thought, uh oh. But the lovely lady at the front desk checked us in and took us upstairs to our room, huge with beautiful wood ceilings, a terrific view (except for the Power lines and tower) and a sweet little sitting area on the shared balcony. 2 beds, fairly comfortable and clean and a small but clean and workable bathroom. I must say, the sunset from our room and balcony was amazing!

Our first night, the wind was howling and I thought the roof would blow off, but curiously there was almost no wind on our balcony! There was no heat in the room, which I was worried about, but we were fine. There was also no closet, but the room was so big it wasn't a problem, we didn't have fancy dresses for Monteverde! The garden was very pretty with beautiful local wood furniture.

There were tiny cramped rooms downstairs that we passed, so be sure to request one of the upstairs west facing rooms.

Breakfast was ok, it filled the hole, coffee was delicious! Desk staff was courteous, helpful and very nice. Breakfast staff did the job.

I would recommend this place for travelers on a budget who don't want to stay in a hostel

Room Tip: Choose an upstairs west facing room
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled with family
calgary
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 1, 2014 via mobile

We stayed at this hotel from dec 27 to 28. It is within residential area and farway from downtown. You need taxi to downtown.
The hotel is not professional maintained but run as family business. You can see they cut corners in a few areas. The breakfast is modest. The room is not clean . Some rooms are refresh painted and have very strong smell. Water is leaking from a few ceiling places . The light is on and off. What's more, they will mess up how many rooms you have booked. The front desk has no customer service attitude. They are leaning toward "take it or leave it" mindset.

All in all, it is more suitable for singles Who can live up with modest condition. It is not suitable for family with kids. We will not return to this hotel. By the way, the road to Monteverde is very bumpy. It is called "costa rica massage". The tour guide told us that the local people were against building new road because they worry tourists would not stay here but do day trips instead once the new road is built and easier to reach.

• Stayed December 2013

Been to Hotel Jardines de Monteverde? Share your experiences!