“A little Piece of Paradise” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Cabins El Sol

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Monteverde
Cabins El Sol
You added Cabins El Sol to your Saves list
La Lindora, Costa Rica   |
Ranked #4 of 31 Monteverde B&B and Inns
Hollywood, Florida, United States
“A little Piece of Paradise”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 9, 2013

From all the places my wife and I have visited in Costa Rica Monteverde was our favorite by far. The cabins at El Sol are like something out of an old Hollywood western movie, built with a lot of love. It’s nestled on the top of the mountains where you can enjoy endless sunsets views and waking up to the sounds of toucans outside, are just a few things that makes this place so special. It’s a place to be in peace and connect with nature, no internet, no tv - just the beauty of Montverde at it's best!

There are some amazing tours available, Javier can help you set up. One of our favorites was the horseback tour to Don Pilo's farm 2 minutes from El Sol. While on the tour we saw white faced monkeys, took a dip in the hot springs pool overlooking a river. This is a must see we didn’t want to leave the hot springs, it was truly beautiful.

Javier is the real deal when it comes to Naturalist guides. He is passionate, super smart and knowledgeable - a walking encyclopedia. He knows every bird by its call, knows about all types of plants and insects, he even knows the scientific names - now that’s impressive. My most memorable moment was the morning we went looking for the Quelzal, the most beautiful bird in America. This was something that without Javier's knowledge of the forest would have been impossible, especially since there are only 150 pairs in Montverde. When we did find it, it was one of the most magical experiences in nature I’ve ever had. I was overwhelmed with emotions and almost couldn’t keep my hand steady to photograph this amazing animal. It’s really hard to put into words you just have to experience it. I will always be grateful to Javier for that and I know in him I met a kindred spirit. For me Its just a matter of time before I return again because I left a little piece of my heart in Monetevrde and El Sol.

If you're looking for a rustic experience, want to connect with nature and really live the essence of Costa Rica I recommend the El Sol in Monteverde. It will be an experience you will never forget.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (20)
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 27, 2013

We spent three nights here and had a great time. Xavier is a very nice guy who has grown up in the area and was very happy to give us recommendations for restaurants and activities. We were upgraded to the large cabin, which is beautiful and has incredible views over the valley. The pool is also lovely - everything is self-built with a great eye for detail.
Overall, a great stay.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
Baltimore, Maryland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 9, 2013

The experience at El Sol was incredible. Javier is an extremely friendly and knowledgeable guide . He took us on an unforgettable night hike and a wonderful hanging bridges tour. On these hikes we saw plenty of wildlife, e.g. sloths, monkeys, rare birds etc. Javier told us all about these animals and all of the vegetation and how the entire ecosystem worked. We stayed in the large cabin that was immaculate. We didn't have any trouble with bugs, but a few moths snuck in at night. The beds were not luxurious, but for a camping like experience they were perfect. We ordered breakfast which was delivered on time and delicious, other than the fly in the syrup, but that was part of the experience. The cabin had everything we needed from coffee, cocoa, sugar and cream. The cabin even had a fridge and freezer with an ice machine, stove, plates etc. Overall we truly enjoyed our time at Cabins El Sol, it was a great experience. I would definitely stay there again if I am ever in the area and I hope I will be soon!

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2013

I stayed here for two nights with my husband and two boys. We loved everything about the villa we stayed in. It is quirky and super cosy, with personal touches throughout. It feels like a hand-made log cabin, constructed with a lot of love and attention to detail. It was originally the owner's home. We'd intended to stay only one night, but once we got there couldn't bear to leave. The bedrooms are gorgeous, and the house has plenty of comfortable corners to sit and curl up with a book, or laze outside in a hammock. The kitchen is equipped with utensils and coffee, tea, hot chocolate are provided, which is a nice touch. We ordered meals in, which were not bad and reasonable value. The pool is beautiful, with stunning views. Javier could not have been more helpful, and was on hand for any questions we had. He also fixed the sauna for us so we could use it at night. He can organise trips into the cloud forest, horse riding, etc, so it's easy to make the best use of your time there. I'd highly recommend this place for warmth and personal service. The only thing that could be slightly better is the hotness of the water, which was a bit on the cool side for a shower/bath for me. But that's a small detail for an otherwise enchanting place. Overall, great value.

Room Tip: We stayed in the villa, which is gorgeous, but doesn't have a view over the valley, as one of th...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 30, 2013

We had the most wonderful time at El Sol- it is absolutely beautiful and wonderful for relaxation and getting away from it all. We stayed in the villa, which was wonderful value considering that no one else was staying there at the time!
Javier and his family could not be more attentive, and Javier is an absolutely brilliant guide- you can tell that he is extremely experienced and passionate. He also organised a great horseriding trip for us, and we really feel that we left as friends.
Don't stay anywhere else in Monteverde!

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Leidschendam, The Netherlands
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 21, 2013

We stayed 3 nights and enjoyed the wonderful view from the veranda. The amount of birds, butterflies and other animals was fantastic. We highly recommend an evening or day hike with Javier, next to a great host, he is an highly skilled nature guide - kind of a mix between David Attenborough and Steve Irwin! The breakfasts and dinners were super tastefull.

Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 30, 2013

We stayed there three nights.

Our stay with my son at cabina el sol was fantastic. The place is neat, quiet and the view is breataking

Just off santa elena but enough near to do all the activities.

Food served by locallocale was good.

Javier and his wife were really welcoming and helpfull.

We will come back for sure.

Charles

• Stayed July 2013

Been to Cabins El Sol? Share your experiences!