“Beautiful rustic cabins with a great host!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Cabins El Sol

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Monteverde
Cabins El Sol
Save Saved
You added Cabins El Sol to your Saves list
La Lindora, Costa Rica   |
Ranked #3 of 30 Monteverde B&B and Inns
Wauwatosa, Wisconsin
“Beautiful rustic cabins with a great host!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 4, 2013

My husband and I spent two nights in the large cabin in early May. The cabin was a work of art-- rustic, unique, beautiful and had all the amenities you might be looking for. Yes, it is down a bumpy road, but by that point, we had been on hours of bumpy roads in Costa Rica and no longer noticed. We did not have a car-- Elisabeth was very helpful in helping me plan our stay and she had arranged a taxi-boat-taxi trip from Arenal that went smoothly! We had some geckos sleeping in our cabin every night, but we thought it was part of the experience. The pool was gorgeous and had an amazing view.

Javier was awesome... we really enjoyed spending time chatting with him and learning about his life. He is also a great guide! He took us on a night hike which was great! We saw sloths, a porcupine, a walking stick, a mouse opossum, a tarantula, and many other awesome animals. Javier is extremely knowledgeable and passionate about animals, plants and Costa Rica. We were a bit bummed when he was busy the next day and could not guide us on the hanging bridges, but he hooked us up with a different tour guide friend of his, Andres, who was equally awesome!

Javier arranged for us to eat many meals from the neighboring family. We had breakfast, lunch and 2 dinners. The meals were quite good, but if you eat a lot of them, expect to eat a lot of the same thing-- rice, beans, a meat, etc... If we had a car, I would have probably liked to eat in town for a meal or two to change it up a bit. The meals are also big! They usually gave us enough food for at least 1-2 more people... so consider ordering less or saving the left-overs.

One note about El Sol in general-- it is really quiet and peaceful. We did not see anyone else besides Javier and his kids the whole time we were there. This would be a great place for meditation, a spiritual retreat, a place to read or write a book, etc... not for a wild time.

For some reason, I had a hard time tracking down their e-mail address, so here it is in case you are in the same situation: info@elsolnuestro.com

Overall, great experience!

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple

146 people have reviewed this hotel

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (20)
Washington DC, District of Columbia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 31, 2013

You know you're in the right place after talking to an upbeat, friendly and accommodating bilingual host who offered to meet us down the road. A spacious domain with several private cabins facing the mountain. It only takes one step into the cabin to see the
For U.S. standards, this high quality wooden cabin could be a luxury one with a regular rate. The large bay window facing the mountains strikes right away. The balcony gives the feeling of being part of the mountain - with 3 blue birds perched on the tree, and a few hawks circling around through the clouds.
The cabin has electric plugs, a very stylish bathroom, kitchenette and comfortable bed. Beautiful furniture done with guanacaste and cypress wood.
I collect photos of infinity pools from around the world, and this one made the top 3 list; right next to a beautiful wooden sauna.
Tired of driving and hungry, the neighbor cooked some nice fish and natural chicken and brought it to the house for a decent price. Otherwise, there are restaurant 15 mn away. Woken at the sound of the rooster, a few hungry cows and early birds was the call for 'the' breakfast...not to miss.
This was the first time I felt like ridding a horse through the mist, wearing a round black hat. Next time with Javier.
If you want to hear the sound of silence, this is for you.

Room Tip: They all are beautiful, but we stayed in 'the big house' with the bath tub.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 8, 2013 via mobile

I was a little nervous booking this place based on some reviews and photos. But we were soooo happy we did...this place is truly a slice of heaven!!! The people that gave bad reviews have probably never even camped before!
There was four of us that stayed in the villa, which was huge with a great back patio and kitchen. We made daiquiris and dinner one night in the villa! The pool has an amazing view and the sauna is great too! You are in the cloud forest so there are bugs but they do such a great job keeping them out of the cabins.
Recommend having a car cause it is about a 15 min drive into monteverde but well worth it. Truly is one of the most amazing places I have ever stayed!
Javiour is the son the owner and the most amazing tour guide...he really is there to make your stay the best. We took a private night tour with him and it was amazing!

• Stayed May 2013
Vancouver, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 7, 2013

In March my wife and I stayed for a week in the larger cabin at El Sol with my 2 sons and their girlfriends. We are always looking for the unique "road less travelled" accommodations on our trips and El Sol did not disappoint. The big cabin is the original family cabin on the property with so many interesting personal touches that you feel right at home as soon as you arrive. Javier was there from the beginning to help us find everything and offer his services for anything we might need. We had the neighbours deliver a delicious dinner on our first night until we could get in to Santa Elena to stock up the kitchen. El Sol is so authentic and relaxing that wandering around the property in the morning with your first cup of coffee is really a treat. I asked Javier if there was a trail where we could head off for a walk on the property and he sent us down a small lane where we ran in to a troop of white face monkeys hanging out in the trees. I forgot to take my camera. Note to self when out for a hike in Monteverdi. During our stay we took the horse back ride down to a waterfall / swimming hole. Great fun, good lunch, lots of pictures and a little cliff jumping for excitement. Javier was our guide for the cloud forest and a night walk. He is so knowledgeable that you will never walk in a forest again without a greater appreciation for the plants and wildlife. Javier's enthusiasm is infectious. The incredible natural beauty of the Monteverdi region is awe inspiring. Santa Elena is a fun little town to wander around in. Lots of good restaurants and interesting things to do. Like other folks mentioned in their reviews, we also enjoyed the Don Juan coffee tour. And no stay at El Sol would be complete without taking time to hang out with Elisabeth. Thank you Elisabeth for sharing your love for life with us for a couple hours while we enjoyed the incredible view. Thank you Javier and family for helping us enjoy a memorable week in Costa Rica. Cheers!

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Raleigh, North Carolina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 1, 2013

El Sol. No words will do it justice :) I felt like my stay was straight out of a storybook -- it was just that perfect.

My boyfriend and I stayed here for what was to be the second to last part of our trip and we decided to extend our stay to 3 days because it was just that beautiful, relaxing, and interesting.

The LOCATION itself couldn't be better -- the cabin is beautiful and covered in warm, colorful fabrics, joyful artwork, and multiple hammocks outside where you'll be greeted by hummingbirds during your afternoon nap or read. The B&B is located on the top of a mountain -- one of the most beautiful views I've ever seen and has a pristine infinity pool which is great for a sunrise/sunset swim (I've included my sunrise picture). Also, it's only a couple minutes drive to the beautiful town of Monteverde (which was so fun!), but was separate from the town providing an oasis from the day's activities. I mentioned that Monteverde was fun, and it is! I saw the smallest orchid in the world at the Orchid Garden, learned about and drank the most delicious coffee and cocoa (not hot chocolate) on the Don Juan Coffee and Cocoa tour, went zip-lining on the 3rd longest zip-line in the world and jumped off a bridge on a tarzan swing, enjoyed the most delicious fresh ice cream at the Monteverde Cheese Factory (you could say my cheese was moo-ing), and hiked through the Monteverde Cloud Rainforest where there's a hummingbird garden (all you hear is the buzzing of the wings --- the feeling of happiness is impalpable).

The FAMILY who runs the B&B was incredible as well - they're so beautiful and joyful (the most adorable and endearing children!). Javier in particular was so helpful and kind. He sat down with us for three whole hours when we first arrived helping us plan our stay and helping us learn about Monteverde. So generous with not only his time, but in general. I got the most awful sunburn while on vacation (sun poisoning to the extreme) and he brought me aloe leaves for me to put on my sunburns. I was cured within days. He also offered us fresh mango juice he had made while we were there. Really nice guy. In addition, we got some of our meals made at El Sol and we ate authentic Costa Rican food that came in a basket from the next door neighbors. I don't know that much Spanish, but I do know "muy rico," and that it was!

By far, the best part of my trip to Costa Rica was when I stayed at El Sol -- that B&B made my vacation. I returned after my trip feeling relaxed and happy.

If you go to Costa Rica, go to El Sol. I certainly will on my next visit.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Fort Wayne, Indiana
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 17, 2013

My husband and I spent two nights in the large cabin at El Sol and were so pleased! It was peaceful and quiet - a great way to end our vacation in Costa Rica. Elisabeth and Javier were very welcoming and worked with us and our crazy schedule. The view off the cabin balcony was amazing both during the day and as night fell. We were awakened by the sound of hummingbirds and howler monkeys and loved relaxing in the hammock on the porch. Having the kitchen with the sink and mini refrigerator really worked well for us as we always had leftovers from eating in town. While El Sol was farther from town than we had expected (about 15 minutes), we had a rental SUV and just managed our schedule so that we didn't have to run back and forth. Overall it was a wonderful experience and we would highly recommend El Sol to anyone who is looking for something more authentic then generic hotel rooms. We loved it and are so glad Andres from Forest Alive recommended it to us!

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Austin, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 10, 2013

Our 3 nights in the small cabin, with Javier guiding us by day, was a definite highlight of our 2 weeks in Costa Rica. Some reviewers from years ago suggested that the cabin was run-down or buggy...if that was the case then, it has certainly changed: Everything was totally charming and in great condition.
The owners, Elizabeth and her son, Javier and daughter-in-law Dema, are wonderful hosts, catering to our every request: late-day laundry, meals delivered at appointed times, and, most importantly, *outstanding* guiding by Javier in both a rain forest and cloud forest. He is very knowledgable about flora and fauna, plus is able to *listen carefully* to your priorities and goals, thereby taking you to the places most likely to meet your needs. We asked for a rain forest hike with the least likelihood of crowds, and he took us to a place where we saw only 4 other hikers but five resplendent quetzals (now you're under pressure, Javier!). Incidentally, he also knows a lot about the use of digital cameras and, if you're interested, can help you maximize the capabilities of your camera.
Finally, we are ever grateful to Elizabeth for telling us that we'd do fine in Costa Rica without a car. Each place where we stayed happily set up a driver to take us to a trail head or to our next destination, thereby avoiding the exhausting experience of driving in CR. Thank you, Elizabeth!

Room Tip: Look at other's photos of the big and small cabins: both charming; get big one if you need the...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Cabins El Sol? Share your experiences!