“Unique and Beautiful Place” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Cabins El Sol

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Monteverde
Cabins El Sol
La Lindora, Costa Rica   |
Ranked #3 of 30 Monteverde B&B and Inns
Boston, Massachusetts, United States
“Unique and Beautiful Place”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 2, 2013

We stayed for two nights in the big cabin with our 7 yo son. From the moment Javier opened the door and we saw the view (jaw-dropping), I knew we were going to love it. El Sol is a really unique place and I would 100% recommend it to anyone looking for lodging in Santa Elena / Monteverde.

The good: Again, the view. You're on the side of a mountain with nothing blocking you. Really doesn't get better than that. The deck has a table and benches where you can sip wine (if you're me) or color (if you're my son) and watch the sunset. There's also a hammock :).

The cabin itself is adorable and cozy. A lot of thought and care went into building it. Inside, we found everything we needed for a comfortable stay: dishes, blankets, even coloring material for my son. Javier arranged everything for us, too, and was incredibly accommodating while still giving us total privacy.

The food was wonderful. We told Javier we'd like dinner and breakfast and at what time. That was it. At the designated time, our meals arrived in a basket. They were delicious!

The not good: Honestly, the only thing I could say that wasn't great was the occasional bugs (a spider or a few ants here and there). It's a log cabin, so yes, there are small cracks where bugs can enter. Plus, you're in Costa Rica, so there are insects all around you. Can't really fault El Sol for that.

Highly recommend it! (And I am fairly picky :)

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family

144 people have reviewed this hotel

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (20)
Oxford, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 28, 2013 via mobile

El sol truly is one of the best places I have been too, it's so tranquil. The cabins (and villa) are absolutely beautiful, so rustic and full of charm. The food from the neighbours was also excellent and good value for money. Javier and his family made us feel very welcome and were extremely helpful. We went ona night trek with Javier, horse riding to the waterfall which was stunning and the zip wires over the canopy were exhilarating. All in all we highly recommend this place and hope to return one day. Couldn't have asked for more.
Thanks el sol for making our stay so special.

• Stayed February 2013
Washington, District of Columbia, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 5, 2013

1) Javier is the MAN and if you don't take at least 2 tours with him, you are missing out.
2) His wife Dema is one of the lovliest ladies I have ever met.
3) His children could not be more adorable/welcoming/engaging/friendly.
4) This is by far the coolest place my boyfriend and I have ever stayed in and we are pretty well traveled.

It is a gem-of-a-find and you will have a hard time leaving Monteverde after your stay at El Sol. The cabins are so incredibly unique and made with such thought for detail and loving care. The view from each cabin is breath taking. If you can, stay in the large cabin that overlooks the entire mountain. You will enjoy a huge panoramic view of the mountain vista, sun filled wooden cabin, hammocks galore, sky lights, lounge area, etc.

The meals they provide are also amazing and everything that is done at El Sol is just so laid back, leisurely, comforting, and familiar.

Javier made the best recommendations and took only took us on amazing tours of the forest where we interacted with wildlife, but recommended awesome tours like horse back riding to the hot springs, milking cows, and ziplining through the cloud forest.

Also, don't forget to visit the infinity pool (freshwater) and the beautiful sauna.

It was a trip I will never forget and I cannot wait to head back there!

Room Tip: The large cabin or shared cabin! Both are beautiful!
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Leigh-on-Sea, England, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 19, 2013

We had an action packed Honeymoon to Costa Rica, and our stay at 3 night stay at El Sol was stunning and relaxed. We went on a number of trips arranged by Javier including horse back riding to the waterfall, and day and night hikes and zip lining - these were great and highly recommended. We stayed in a beautiful cabin over looking the mountain view which felt totally secluded, and it was like a home away from home.

The hosts were extremely friendly and helpful and helped make the trip as special as it was.

Thanks El Sol

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
sedona
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 19, 2013

Everything about El Sol exudes comfort, peace and relaxation, from the shuttle drivers they recommend (Ernyk) to the trips they suggest. We stayed in the larger cabin with amazing views and took advantage of a few of their many suggestions - The Cloud Forest (Javier is a most knowledgeable guide) and the horseback riding to the hot springs. We ordered dinner one night which was enough to feed us for two!! The nurturing yet not cloying caretaking of every single person we met at El Sol, from Elisabeth, to Javier and his wonderful family, to the groundskeepers couldn't have been more welcome. One of the highest compliments we can pay is that El Sol felt like a home away from home and Javier and his family felt like our own. We'd highly, highly recommend El Sol if you're looking for a "loving embrace" in a very relaxed atmosphere.

Room Tip: There were three of us and we loved the "big cabin." The privacy and views from this cabi...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
Toronto, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 10, 2013

We loved our stay at El Sol. The cabins were so cozy with incredible views.
The grounds are gorgerous. We had the breakfast and it was so delicious and more than filling.
We travelled with 2 young children (7 and 5) and the set up of the cabin was perfect.
Javier was so very helpful and made fantastic recommendations for activities that were also kid appropriate. This is great place to stay if visiting Monteverde - close but away from the tourist hub. I would highly recommended it. It was my favourite place to stay in all of our travels in Costa Rica

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Hobart, Indiana
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 2, 2013

Of all of my travels, El Sol was the most relaxing beautiful place I've ever been. I stayed at El Sol for 4 days in July 2012. Javier and his wife were excellent hosts who even borrowed my son a pair of socks for a horseback ride with the neighbors. The neighbors took my son and I on on a horseback ride down the mountains that was an adventure of a life time. Javier always offered ti take us into town so that I wouldn't have to call a taxi. I decided on El Sol by reading comments written by others and it is a place I will remember for the rest of my life. I highly suggest you read reviews on this place and visit yourself. This place really lives up to all of the wonderful things said. El Sol will forever be in our hearts.

Room Tip: The small cabin has a great view.
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with family

Been to Cabins El Sol? Share your experiences!