“Excellent hotel, highly recommend” 5 of 5 stars

Hotel El Viandante
2.5 of 5 Small Hotel   |   Frente Hotel Sapo Dorado, Costa Rica   |
Ranked #9 of 30 Monteverde B&B and Inns
Ontario
“Excellent hotel, highly recommend”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 23, 2010

We stayed at El Viandante for two nights. The couple that owns the hotel are very pleasant and extremely helpful. They gave us great suggestions for things to do and helped us book two tours and a shuttle van to our next destination as well. The room was spacious and bed was comfortable. The water in the shower wasn't very hot but it didn't bother us. The breakfast is fresh and tasty. This hotel is a quick 10 minute walk to the town below where there were some very good restaurants. A great value for the price, I highly recommend this hotel to all travelers.

• Stayed December 2010

171 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (18)
NYC
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 14, 2010

My boyfriend and I spent a night at El Viandante last week. The owners (and their young daughter who we met) were lovely and made every effort to be helpful. The room was spacious and clean, and the bathroom had several packaged bars of soap and a hair dryer. The decor left something to be desired (e.g., a very cheap lamp that looked like it was purchased with no regard to its appearnce), but that was not a problem. Breakfast was good (cereal, fruit, eggs, toast, coffee, juice) though the milk was starting to turn (I admit I'm especially sensitive to this). Computers, books, and magazines were available for general use.

The biggest problem was that we were there on a cold night (55 degrees F outside) and there was no heat on in our room. We had to sleep in several layers of clothing. There was also no air conditioner, though that of course was not a problem. There was limited warm water. Finally, while trying to be helpful, several pieces of information the owners provided about major nearby attractions were inaccurate (e.g., group tours at Monteverde Cloud Forest are only available at certain very limited hours, but when we showed up there were official guides standing ready to take anyone for the group rate).

So while these were not my favorite accomodations in Costa Rica, we found El Viandante to be suitable and a good value.

• Stayed December 2010, traveled as a couple
San Francisco, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 6, 2010

My husband and I traveled to Costa Rica for our Honeymoon in Feb. 2010. We rented a car and explored the country with no itinerary in mind. We just rented a car and where our Frommers book took us is where we went. We found Hotel El Viandante in our Frommers 2010 book. We decided to call a few days in advanced and booked our room. The service over the phone to book was excellent. They were very nice and booked us without any issues. Once we arrived at Hotel El Viandante the welcome was nice. We had a lot of questions about tours in the area. They suggested the Zip Line tour and a Coffee tour. Which were both excellent experiences. I’m so happy they suggested those tours because we had so much fun. The rooms were cozy and looked recently remodeled. The bathrooms were clean and the hot water was nice! (we just came from Arenal where there was no hot water in our hotel). The beds were comfortable and we slept well through the night. We watched the sunset from their dining hall and it was a beautiful view! Breakfast was delicious and service was excellent. I highly recommend staying at this hotel.

• Stayed February 2010, traveled as a couple
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 11, 2010

I feel like Monteverde/santa elena has either really nice hotels or backpacking hostels. This is a nice solid middle budget option. I was there for one night with one purpose - to see the reserve. Its a no frills place, but the breakfast room and a reading room above the reception area is really nice. Had I spent more than a night there I could see myself wanting to sit and read my book there. The website is more put together than the place but I still have only good things to say. The foam mattresses are amazing - they conform to your body nicely and I slept like a baby. Breakfast in the morning was filling. And the wifi worked in my room. The cable TV worked as well. There is an uncanny fascination with pine wood - even the ceiling was pine wood. I wish there was a sign from the main road!! If there is, I didnt see it. And also, as with most places in CR, you need to bring your own toiletries like shampoo. And like most places in CR, the towels are thin but get the job done.

• Stayed November 2010, traveled with family
New York City, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 1, 2010

We stayed at El Viandante for 3 nights and were very pleased; the front desk employee (bilingual) was fantastic and very helpful in his recommendations, calling to book tours/transportation, and he also was the designated cooker of our breakfast each morning! We are very early risers, and he was able to accommodate us without a hesitation. The rooms are very simple -- just a place to lay your head; but in Monteverde, that's essentially the function of the hotel room, so it wasn't much of a drawback.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled as a couple
Lugano, Switzerland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 1, 2010

I liked this place. VEry nice attention from Renzo that gave me important info's on how to visit the area in the best way. Rooms are soooo big, everything work out very well!

• Stayed April 2010, traveled solo
Rochester, Minnesota
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 31, 2010

We enjoyed our stay at El Viandante very much. We were welcomed by the owner, Renzo, who was very helpful and accommodating. He gave us some trip advice and all of his recommendations were well received. When we had to wake up for an early tour, he changed his breakfast hour just to accommodate us. The room was very spacious with comfortable beds and a nice shower area. There were hummingbirds outside our window feeding on dainty purple flowers. There was free internet access, which was nice for us to contact our families about our travels. We recommend El Viandante!

• Stayed August 2010, traveled as a couple

Been to Hotel El Viandante? Share your experiences!