“nice stay” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #9 of 18 Hotels in Monteverde
leicester england
“nice stay”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 23, 2013

we stayed here for three nights it is a nice location to town the food was good the staff were helpful and friendly. we were doing coast to coast so we were taking the hotels good to bad just going with the flow the room was basic over looking the pool and the fields were there was wild life all the time we stayed in room 34 yes I would stay here again

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (70)
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 23, 2013 via mobile

Great hotel at a reasonable price. Beautiful view. Quiet even though it is in the middle of town. Room was lovely, service friendly and professional. Nice spa. excellent breakfast. Location was perfect near town and lots of restaurants and half way between the two reserves.

Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
San Carlos, California
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 18, 2013

The Restaurant and Pool Areas were great. The rooms, not so much. It took three flushes to flush the toilet, at least in the afternoon. Our room had no desk, chair, closet or wardrobe to hang clothes. There was a small cabinet with hangers, part of a dresser. It was very short, about two feet high. We were unable to hang a shirt in it without it dragging on the floor. We did get one guest towel for the two of us, two bath towels, and two wash clothes. I will say that the shower was very nice and appeared to be new. The first room we were shown had a missing slat in the outside door. The first night, at the hotel, dogs barked late into the night. We found out that there are three of them on the property next to the hotel. The paint, in the rooms was drab and dark and the furtniture appeared old. The staff appeared somewhat indifferent and during the nights there is only a security guard on the property, should you have a problem. We met some other guests who were so unhappy with this hotel that they considered leaving, when they first arrived, and later cut their stay short by a day, after seeing Monteverde. We later found out that this is a "green hotel" which reuses the toilet water to water their plants. A machine removes the toilet paper from the water and this may account for the flushing problems in the afternoons. We both thought that the restaurant had great food. The short walking distance to town was a plus. The mattress was great.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Santa Rosa, California
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 15, 2013

Good Things: close to downtown
Not so good things: We had no hot water. When we told the front desk at 5:30am, they said maintenance would be in soon and they would take care of it. At 7am, they still had not checked on it. We said they could enter the room, if needed, as we were headed out for the day. When we arrived back at 4:30pm, they said they checked the property hot water heater and it was working fine. I checked the room....no hot water. I finally got the general manager who didn't believe there was no hot water......I brought him to the room and said that I would go to the spa and take a shower if it wasn't hot. He came in the room and ran the water for a good 5 minutes.....came out and agreed there was no hot water. He said he would solve it while we were out to dinner, or we could shower in the spa. Turns out we had to shower in the spa. Biggest frustration was that for ~$250/night, they did not even offer us a free dinner at their restaurant or a bottle of wine or anything. The hospitality was definitely lacking.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Colorado
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 9, 2013

We hadn’t planned to stay here – we wanted to try Arco Iris, which was booked, – but my husband, myself, and our 5-year-old son really enjoyed it. The pool was delightful – nice design, covered (from sun and rain), with a small swim-up bar, along with a hot tub. There was a kids playhouse (equipped with a kid-size toilet, btw) that my son adored playing in, the grounds were lovely, the restaurant served yummy food, and we enjoyed our 3rd floor room, where we felt like we were sleeping in a treehouse. It was a little more than we wanted to spend, but we think it has one of the few pools in Monteverde, and the convenience of having an onsite restaurant that was excellent (we opted not to have a car on our visit) was really nice. A little refrigerator in the room would have been nice to have, but, for two days, that wasn’t a problem for us.

Room Tip: Higher up rooms like Number 48 are a farther walk from the lobby with many steps up, but are wonderf...
Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
Atlanta, Georgia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 7, 2013

I read many of the reviews for this hotel before my trip to Costa Rica and I feel like I stayed at a totally different hotel. My room was lovely. Every window had a screen and my sliding glass door to a deck also had a screen. There were no bugs of any type in my room and everything was extremely clean and well laid out. My room was super quiet and I loved the large shower. The noise some people described was there when I checked in, but the noise was coming from the open windows in the shower, which were high on the wall shared by a common hallway. All I had to do was close those windows and close the bathroom door and there was zero noise in the sleeping area.

I loved that this hotel had a music theme. There was an acoustic guitar entertainer in the lobby when we checked in, and there were rotating entertainers in the restaurant/bar area playing mostly acoustic guitar but also other instruments. Try the drink "Pura Vida". It's like a great lemonade with a kick. Their breakfast bar was ok but not great, with only a few options available. There were never any breads displayed, but I asked and the waitstaff brought me toasted bread from the kitchen to have with my breakfast.

I would definitely stay here on a return trip, and the ladies at check-in were very friendly and helpful with any questions I had during my stay.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
Las Vegas, Nevada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 4, 2013

Stayed 2 nights while spending 10 days in Costa Rica.
Rooms are quaint, but close to main road.
Noise from traffic, hotel dining room staff leaving, and dogs almost most of the night.
On the plus side, short walking distance to markets and options of dining.
Most of the staff were courteous.
Except one (taller and bigger of the two) in the dining room. When we went to dinner, dining room was less than half full. We were rudely told all the tables were reserved, only one table was available. By 9 PM (dining room close at 10), did not see any other quests arrived for those "reserved" table. So we were the last guest.
My wife asked for hot water (as she only drinks hot water), again the same waiter (or dining room manager) rudely told her that they only serve cold or bottled water.
Our waiter was good, he was even clever enough to get us some hot water. The food was good and entertainment (a guitar player) was very entertaining.
We were treated once again by the staff who does not know you can serve hot water (just without tea bag) when we decided to pay by credit card. May be he never seen a Chase Sapphire card before.

Room Tip: Ask for room further from main road.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Hotel & Spa Poco a Poco? Share your experiences!