“Bedbugs bite” 1 of 5 stars
Review of Hotel & Spa Poco a Poco

You added Hotel & Spa Poco a Poco to your Saves list
Hotel & Spa Poco a Poco
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Santa Elena Centro, Frente Al Centro Comercial Plaza Monteverde, Costa Rica   |
Ranked #9 of 19 Hotels in Monteverde
Leicester, United Kingdom
“Bedbugs bite”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 26, 2013

Although the welcome was great and the value was ok our 2 night stay here was very memorable for all the wrong reasons. My wife and I awoke the first morning covered with a total of 105 bedbug bites between us. After telling the staff about this they laughed it off before changing our room.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
GuidoMontero, Director General at Hotel & Spa Poco a Poco, responded to this review, March 30, 2015
Dear trip advisor user: thank you for giving us this opportunity to improve our quality and services, We try really hard to provide the best service possible, sometimes, things just do not turn out the way we´d wish, Your patience and understanding are both highly appreciated,
I know how important is to provide our guests with the quality and service they expect, and sadly, there are not second chances for a first impression.
Please be sure we are doing everything on our behalf to deliver the best service possible,
Each negative feedback, creates a new opportunity to make things better next time.
Thank you.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (78)
Annapolis, Maryland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 25, 2013

From the moment I was greeted at the reception desk by Lilliana, who made me feel totally at home, I knew that I had chosen the right hotel. I was not disappointed. When I told Lilliana that I was studying Spanish in San Jose, without missing a beat, she switched from English to Spanish, while making sure that I understood everything that she was explaining about the hotel.

Lilliana set up my Selvatura hanging bridges tour for Saturday morning and later arranged for an afternoon tour as well as transportation to the Monteverde Coud Forest Reserve. Later another receptionist set up a Santa Maria night walk tour, which was also excellent. She also advised me about which activities I could fit into my schedule on Sunday morning. (I wish I could remember her name!) Overall I found the front desk staff exceptionally responsive to all of my questions.

When booking, I had asked for a room with a view and I had a lovely sunset view from my room - room # 40 – spacious, quiet (except for the wind) with one double bed, nice bathroom, & balcony.

The restaurant worked well for me traveling solo. I enjoyed vegetarian dinners, which were quite delicious, and the young guitarist who entertained on Saturday evening added charm to my dining experience. Breakfast was also substantial and satisfying.

The grounds, pool and exercise room were well-maintained & lovely. The hotel is just a short walk from the small town of Santa Elena, the Monteverde serpentarium, and the Monteverde orchid garden.

Based on my experience as a woman traveling solo, I highly recommend Poco a Poco.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled solo
Dear Mrs Molly, on behalf of all our staff we want to thank you for ypur stay and for being so kind and outgoing. it was great meeting you.
: Thank you very much for your comments and review.
We are very glad you enjoyed your stay at Poco a Poco, the best value hotel in Monteverde.
Our location, added values, facilities, details, and specially the service are all up the best standars.
Spokane, WA
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 18, 2013

I stayed here with my husband and two children (ages 6 & 9) for one night in January 2013. We have been in Costa Rica for 6 months and there were some nice things about this hotel:
1. They greeted us with fresh smoothies while we were checking in.
2. They quickly arranged for us to take a night tour that started within 2 hours and included transportation as well. It was a good tour, although I don't know that it was the "best" night tour available in the area. They also arranged our tour of Monteverde for the following morning, all while we were checking in.
3. Everything in the room was new and looked very modern. The shower was awesome and huge.
4. The included buffet breakfast was really nice and perfect for us since we were in a hurry in the morning. It included gallo pinto, lots of fresh fruit, hot eggs, different breads, juices and coffee.
5. The staff helped my husband change a flat tire and arranged a new tour time for us in the morning.

However, there were some bad things as well:
1. We were on the top floor of the tower, in an end unit. The wind was crazy strong that night and the window next to the door had curtains that were actually billowing because so much wind was getting in. It was also really cold next to the door, so whoever slept there got chilly during the night (me).
2. We had a lot of noise from the road, since we were right next to it. Those trucks and motorcycles are really loud! They were even louder than the wind rippling along the metal roof.
3. The room was the tiniest room I have ever seen with two double/queen beds in it. One bed was actually perpendicular to the other to squeeze it in.

The pool area and jacuzzi looked really nice, but we did not have a chance to use it. We did go across the street to the grocery store for some light snacks for dinner.

I would try this hotel again, especially since it is one of only 2 hotels with a pool in the area, but I would definitely ask for a different room.

Room Tip: I would ask for a room far from the road to cut down on noise. I also would ask for a room that is...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
Dear Trip Advisor member: Thank you very much for your comments and review.
Concord, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 16, 2013

We stayed at the Poco a Poco in Monteverde for 2 nights, as part of a tour. We were greeted as a group with a welcome drink and enthusiasm from the staff. In walking through the paths to get to my room (room 20) and going by the spa and hot tub and bar and pool, it reminded me of wandering through Hansel and Gretel land. Gardens and interesting plantings and circuitous decking and sculptures in the gardens.

My room didn't have a view and most rooms don't, so "expectations being everything," don't expect one. The reddish sunsets up on the deck are stunningly beautiful and colorful, but most people wouldn't see them from their room.

I liked my room. It had everything. The only issue was the bed was way too hard. Beyond that, the room had a 32" flat screen TV, an iron/board, plenty of storage, a FANTASTIC bathroom/shower and the bedding and drapes were this *very cool* micro-fiber fabric in natural colors --- light greens, beiges and browns. Accents of natural wood, on both the doors and ceilings. Floors were tile.

Let's face it ---- this is not a FANCY resort, but it is a very nice *green* resort, with modern conveniences and wi-fi in the rooms (thanks Poco a Poco) in a stunning setting which can take your breath away.

There is a computer in the lobby for those who didn't bring their own tech-apparatus. There is also a breakfast buffet in the morning (not the best we saw in 10 days of wandering Costa Rica) but it sufficed. The fruit on the buffet was abundant, and that's mostly what appealed to me.

One thing that is special about Poco a Poco is "music." They seem to be into music. There is music in the lobby sometimes (equipment set up there) and there is music of some sort in the restaurant each night. The first night we were there, it appeared to be "wailing" (fortunately it was over at 9pm) but the second night was nice soft guitar. Obviously, the owners of PocoaPoco appreciate music and offer opportunities for local people (or maybe visitors) to play. Frankly, coming from a music family ---- I appreciate that gesture from the owners of this hotel and would stay there again, just for that. Maybe the music is not so good some nights, and better other nights ---- but there is LIVE music at their hotel. Wow. Very much appreciated, even though the music might not be to people's tastes. Live musicians need a place to play and Poco a Poco has offered a venue in Santa Elena and the Monteverde area. Keep this in mind (and bring earplugs) if live music keeps you from sleeping. They don't play too late though.

The hotel is near town and you can walk downtown easily, for restaurants and souvenir shopping, if you don't mind a steep incline. There is a huge grocery store about a block away (no fridge in the units though) and down the steep hill are a collection of local restaurants. We ate at the Tree House, which has a varied menu.

My benchmark of anywhere is --- would I return? I would definitely stay at this place again. Staff was friendly (slow, but with smiles) and there is a happy hour from 4 to 6pm. It's a very comfortable place -- centrally located to town and plenty of amenities, while being "green".

Room Tip: Get a room away from the bar/restaurant
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled solo
Dear Trip Advisor member: Thank you very much for your comments and review.
New York
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 11, 2013

The hotel is just ok. This hotel is so basic and offered nothing above average. The staff had no knowledge of the area. They did not recommend or suggest anything and you had to really prompt them to respond to you. The wait staff were poor at best. We ordered a bottle of wine from our waiter but he left and never told the other waiter..we sat for sometime before anyone could figure out that we needed to finish our order and get our wine. Yet the wait staff spent a lot of time setting up and waiting on a bunch of high school students who were there on a class trip. Our room was right outside of the laundry room but again the high school students who could care less were in rooms with a view. The hotel has so much potential someone needs to take charge! The owners were there when we were but never as much as thanked us. Unlike the hotel we left where the owners thanked us and called us by name!

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear trip advisor user: thank you for giving us this opportunity to improve our quality and services, we try really hard to provide the best service possible, sometimes, things just do not turn out the way we´d wish, Your patience and understanding are both highly appreciated,
each negative feedback, creates a new opportunity to make this better next time.
thank you.
Oundle, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 11, 2013

The only thing that was excellent in this hotel was the Staff. Rooms are tired and dated and beige. More of a motel as very noisy with traffic. Pool and jacuzzi ok but small. Restaurant expensive and average. Good live music though. Nothing else worth mentioning!

Stayed February 2013, traveled solo
Thank you.
Los Angeles, California, USA
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 7, 2013 via mobile

Having never stayed in a motel 6, I am probably giving this hotel to high a rating. The rooms are terrible. Ours was on the forth floor with no elevator. The wind noise was unbelievable making it impossible to sleep. The bathroom was ancient. I have to say the staff was great as was the breakfast.

Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear trip advisor user on behalf of our staff, thank you very much.
Thank you for giving us this opportunity to improve our quality and services, we try really hard to provide the best service possible, sometimes, things just do not turn out the way we´d wish, Your patience and understanding are both highly appreciated,
thank you.

Been to Hotel & Spa Poco a Poco? Share your experiences!