“More good than bad” 4 of 5 stars

3.0 of 5 Lodge   |   Santa Elena de Monteverde, Costa Rica   |
A TripAdvisor Member
“More good than bad”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 7, 2006

We stayed for one night, which was perfect. That way, we were able to walk the incredible trails (the one to the waterfall is awesome) and experience the spectacular view (we could see Volcan Arenal right out of our window!) I wouldn't consider the Mirador for an extended stay because it is damp and uncomfortable. And the on-sight restaurant is way overpriced for what you get. But whatever, we just split a couple of meals there and hit up the heavenly santa elena bakery on our way out of town. It was definitely worth the stay, but I was satisfied with the one night.

• Stayed March 2006

Solo
Business
United States
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 27, 2006

The El mirador Hotel has a great view, offers many activities, and has a friendly staff, but if mildew bothers you, I would avoid this hotel. The pillows and bed linens are extemely mildewed. My husband, who doesn't have allergies, was bothered. After a horrible night, we checked out early and found another hotel. We had no problem getting our refund and the staff was very nice about it, but we wish we had been warned.

Southern Cal.
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 2, 2006

We had reservations for 2 nights and when we got there (after a tough ride from San Jose), they said they did not have room for us and moved us to another hotel. Same thing happened to 2 other couples we met at the other hotel. The other hotel was not so great but from what I am reading about the Mirador here, it seems that the Mirador is overrated too.
I emailed them after I got back for an explanation and they said that they were expecting that some new cabanas there were building would be ready by the time we got there but they were not. I wish I had checked so I would not have been in the position to take whatever place they put us because we could have stayed in Arenal or in Santa Elena for a lot less and had a better time.
Be careful and read the other reviews for an accurate description of the place before you book.

Stayed February 2006
New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 22, 2005

Yes, it's isolated but you have to know that coming out. We loved it here. Our place at El Sapo Dorado in town was way too noisy with construction and had a nothing-view so we went to Monteverde and then came out to El Mirador for an escape. It's hard to find, but IS marked with signs if you look closely. The last few miles are on a one-lane dirt road that looks like it wouldn't last long in a rain storm. I kept thinking "it CAN'T be this far" but indeed it was. The day we arrived the view was absolutely magnificent. You're looking off the top of a mountain over Arenal Lake and the volcano. It seemed like we could see for miles. We went for a hike on one of the trails leading to a waterfall which was very nice. However, the next two days it was cloudy and we couldn't see anything. We kept busy by going to Selvatura for a suspended bridges walk (it's very close by). The fog and mist appears to only be on the very top of the mountain. The cabin was cute and comfortable (we didn't have a wood stove) but rather noisy at night when it poured rain and the wind roared. We found it cozy but probably not everyone would agree. The food was good but not cheap. Our only problem was the hot water because our water tank kept failing. They were very accommodating though and did fix it. The manager doesn't speak any English so brush up on your Spanish, but he and his staff were nice and helpful.

• Stayed December 2005
Toronto, Canada
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 26, 2005

While this hotel does have nice looking cabins, and great views, it also comes with plenty of problems. Firstly the views are only possible 20-25% of the year due to the fact that it is a "cloudforest" afterall. During our 2 night stay it rained almost constantly, and although it did look "etheral" there was definately no view of the volcano.

Mirador is highly overpriced for what it offers: cold, musty rooms, wood burning stoves that are difficult to get going since the staff offer no kindling, only wet wood, and firestarter cubes. The fireplace is very smokey once it gets burning. The food is mediocre as is the service. And most importantly you are WAY out of town. As another reviewer mentioned, I normally like places that are kind of out of the way, but for that to work well, the accomodations must be welcoming with lots to do nearby, which is not at all the case here. We had to do the almost half hour drive into town every day to eat and do activities.

All in all not worth the time or money!

• Stayed November 2005
A TripAdvisor Member
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 10, 2005

I agree with the above review - Mirador is a nice location, but there are some problems with the accomadation. They advertise and price their services as a high-end lodge, but they don't follow through, which is where my problem with them lay. They are one of the more expensive lodges in the area but you don't get what you pay for.

First off, they are way, way out of town. My husband and I both prefer out of the way locations, but this was a little far even for us.

Also, it was a bit more primitive than they gave the impression of being. I was ok with losing power at 10pm every night (again, we tended to fall asleep earlier than that). My problem was the condition of what they did provide. The bedspreads were ripped in places. The mattress was new by the look of it, but was mildewing (we could tell from the strong smell everytime you lay down on it). There was a large hole in the side of the wall in the bathroom, which we didn't notice until the 2nd night. By that time we both had lots of bites - we hadn't been wearing bug repellant inside the cabin, thinking the mosquitos and spiders couldn't get in. Lastly, the wood stove in the cabin let most of the smoke into the room. The next morning I woke up feeling like I had smoked a pack of cigarettes the night before - not a great feeling for your lungs if you are planning on hiking at Monteverde that day.

Overall, I think you can find equal or much better accomodations for a better price in that area.

• Stayed November 2005
Austin, Texas
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 19, 2005

This hotel is about 30-40 minutes outside of Santa Elena - past the Sky Trek. It is a rough road, but you will be used to that by the time you reach Monteverde and Santa Elena. Oddly, our Interbus driver didn't know where the hotel was could not find anyone who did. Fortunately we had the phone number so someone called them for us from Santa Elena. They will pick you up behind the Banco Nacional in Santa Elena. Once we finally did arrive, the first thing we noticed was that the view of the volcano was magnificent!!! The second thing we noticed was that it was almost painfully quiet. If you are looking for quiet, you MUST stay here. We were the only guests at this hotel with probably 6 or 7 duplex-style cabins. Yes, it is "rustic"...no tv, phone, a/c, radio - the power even goes out at 10pm each night. That wasn't a problem for us, because we fell asleep way before that each night. One night it just POURED and we didn't get much sleep due to the noise on the metal roof and the fact that the bed kind of sunk in the middle. There were candles and a wood burning stove in the cabin. The peace there was unlike anything I have ever experienced, and the view was awesome (except when the clouds rolled in - though that was not too often). For being such a small, primitive hotel the prices were pretty steep. Two typicos, a plate of fruit and two aguas de fruita were $28US. A beer was 1000 colones. Cooked-to-order breakfast was included which was pretty nice (can't really have a buffet for 2 guests!). It was also a little weird the way everyone was just standing there waiting for you to need or desire something when you were in the office/restaurant. A little creepy...especially with the quietness. Of course the butterflies were almost as thick as the evening clouds and in the morning there was a great variety of insects (including a couple cool millipedes!) that were trying to get back to their homes after a busy night or had expired while fluttering around the lights at the walk way. What seemed like millions of birds and 2 hiking (not walking) trails - one which I believe leads to a waterfall - which are supposed to be fantastic though we didn't have time to go far enough. Also, Leon (the hotel owner) also owns the horses for the horse/boat/jeep to Arenal which leaves from the Mirador. We did that too. It was very very hard on the horses and not for anyone who doesn't believe horses are work animals. I'm very glad I did that though as the horses were fine and the views were even better than from the hotel. Crossing the river was sooo cool on the horses - wear jeans and waterproof shoes (they provide ponchos if it starts raining). Also, no taxis came up to Mirador, but the hotel would shuttle you in their van for about $7US round trip to Monte Verde. The Sky Trek was also so Great!! It is $40US per person ($45 if you add in the suspension bridges - Sky Walk) and "only" about 20 minutes from the hotel...no credit cards accepted. I don't know that I would stay at the Mirador again. Too far from town, too few activities, and just too quiet. But now that I'm home, I'm glad we did stay there this once.

Been to Mirador Lodge? Share your experiences!