“4 gardens and an insect house!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Monteverde Butterfly Garden (Jardin de Mariposas)

Monteverde Butterfly Garden (Jardin de Mariposas)
Near Pension Monteverde Inn | On road to Monteverde, Costa Rica
2645-5512
Website
Improve this listing
Visit like an insider
Top Rated
$135*
and up
Monteverde Cloud Forest and Butterfly Garden from...
Ranked #5 of 43 things to do in Monteverde
More attraction details
Owner description: The Monteverde Butterfly Gardens has been teaching people about the marvels of insects and arachnids for over 20 years. Our mission has always been to change the way people view these small but fantastically diverse animals. It is not hard either- with 4 different butterfly habitats housing up to 30 species of butterfly, a leaf cutter ant colony and over 20 species of live Costa Rican insects and arachnids in our nature centre we have something that will melt the heart of even the most devout bug crusher! A dedicated and passionate group of staff and volunteers will guide you on a tour through our three acre facility where you will see just some of the amazing insects and arachnids Costa Rica has to offer! The property is lush and full of other Costa Rican favourites such as capuchin monkeys and agoutis! Birders will not be disappointed with wrens galore and common visits from Keel Billed toucan, blue crowned motmot and the occasional appearance of the famed bell bird. We are open 365 days a year, so drop by whenever you can!
brimes
6 attraction reviews
“4 gardens and an insect house!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 30, 2015 NEW

David, one of the owners, was our tour guide. Each house represented butterflies in different areas of Costa Rica. He was very knowledgeable about the butterflies and CR.

Visited April 2015

Denton, Texas
20 attraction reviews
“Wow! The Variety is Great!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 28, 2015 NEW

Very enjoyable stop. We would recommend it if you have a bit of time. The butterflies are fantastic to see "up close and personal". If you have any interest at all in this sort of attraction, it is worth a stop.

Visited May 2014
Toronto, Canada
3 attraction reviews
“Educational, engaging and wonderful experience! Highly recommend it!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 21, 2015

The Monteverde Butterfly Gardens is a great attraction for all ages. The staff and guides are friendly, informative and quite funny when it comes to teaching guests about insects and arachnids. The fee to visit the gardens includes a guide - definitely take advantage of this! The tour started in the Nature Centre where the guide shared amazing facts and anecdotes about different insects and arachnids that are native to Costa Rica. You leave the Nature Centre with a a better appreciation and understanding of the complexities of the insect world. You also get to view a variety of butterflies in their chrysalis stage, and if lucky, can watch one emerge right before your eyes. The guide was great at explaining the different life cycles of butterflies. After the Nature Centre presentation, we toured through four different butterfly habitats that signified different ecosystems within Costa Rica. Each garden has a variety of species and the guide was sure to point them out and share a few facts about each one. I was able to take some great photographs and was encouraged by the guide to stay longer to get a variety of shots. There were some children in our tour group, and the guide was very attentive to their questions and kept them engaged. Overall, a wonderful experience and I would highly recommend visiting the Monteverde Butterfly Gardens - plus the view from the balcony of the Gulf of Nicoya is the best in Monteverde!

Visited May 2014
New York City, New York
3 attraction reviews
“One of the highlights of trip to Costa Rica”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 21, 2015

This place is great but was honestly enhanced in that my wife and I had a great tour guide there who successfully goaded me into handling all of the insects which, of course my wife was too scared to do (I don't recall the guide's name for sure (maybe Camille?) but I do recall she was an Italian biology student).

The variety and quantity of the butterflies there was unparalleled for me (that said, I can only compare it to the butterfly garden at the Bronx Zoo which I thought was pretty good until I saw this).

The other highlight besides the creepy crawlies and the exotic butterflies was the open leaf cutting any colony which I found fascinating.

Visited March 2015
Glendale, Arizona
7 attraction reviews
“Very Informative, Great for Kids and Adults alike!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 20, 2015

This butterfly garden was part of our Monteverde Could Forest Day Tour April 2015, and we were so glad it was! Our 11 year-old twins enjoyed our very funny guide, Camilla, who made learning about the butterflies very interesting. She led us from one garden to another, each garden representing a different level of the forest. Before the start of the tour, we even saw a toucan on one of the trees. Our guide was gracious enough to wait for us while we took pictures of the toucan, and she also gave us ample time in each garden to take great photos of the butterflies. In addition, we also learned about the forest ants and other insects brought to us at the end of the tour - a tarantula, beetles and a huge cockroach! At the gift store, our daughter loved the butterfly frames and we bought some of them. We were glad we did because in the airport the next day, we saw the same framed butterflies and they were 100% more expensive at the airport! Daughter now has her butterfly frames in her room. I later learn that this garden was the creation of a pair of Canadians living near the cloud forest reserve in Cerro Plano, Costa Rica. I made a video of this beautiful place and placed it on their Facebook page - owner Bryna Belisle was thankful and I think it is great that they are helping in educating people about these beautiful butterflies and helping in their preservation. Truly a great place to visit, good for adults and kids alike, specially for those who love to photograph butterflies.
My YOUTUBE video link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DY5KlmKkdzg&spfreload=10