This is a great destination in Monteverde. It's close to the cloud forest and also the town of Santa Elena, where you'll find restaurants, a few bars, etc. The gardens behind the lodge are gorgeous, and there's a path to the private reserve. You can also keep hiking and visit the butterfly gardens and another biological reserve. Both hikes and the butterfly garden are beautiful and worthwhile.
The Lodge is nice and staff are very helpful and cordial. There's a large restaurant and bar and a nice whirlpool. The restauant opened at 6 am, making it convenient to use since we left early to see the sights. We ate all breakfasts, along with some lunches and dinners at the lodge. All were good and, while not a bargain, reasonably priced. We didn't have a problem with slow restaurant service as some other reviews indicate.
We stayed first in a "standard" room--no. 214. It was very nice--gleaming "hardwood" floors (it's fake hardwood, but looks nice,) windows overlooking the gardens, 2 queen-sized beds, big bath. Unfortunately, we had to leave that room after 2 nights because it was booked. We then moved to room 113--a "garden" room. Avoid the garden rooms. They are much smaller, darker, and have flimsy doors that open to a narrow, dark hallway. There's a door that opens to the gardens, but there are tables and benches just outside that are open to any guest. It was awkward when a small group was sitting just outside our door talking. We could hardly tell them to leave, but.... Between the flimsy door on one side and the door to the garden, we felt virtually no privacy.
Don't let my comments about the garden room deter you from booking the lodge--just avoid the garden rooms.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- 12 Forest View Downstairs Rooms. 12 Forest View Balcony Rooms. (A little more expensive, but worth it. See What Reviewers have said by clicking on "room tips") 1 Downstairs Room is Wheelchair Accessible. • Beds: 2 Downstairs Rooms and 2 Upstairs Rooms have 1 King Bed. 10 Downstairs Rooms and 10 Upstairs Rooms have 2 Double Beds. • All rooms have: In-room safe, hot water, coffee maker, ceiling fan, reading lamps, hair dryer and free wireless internet. • All rooms don't have: TV, AC, or mini-bar. • Service Style: Personalized, informal, caring. • Restaurant: Cuisine: What a Costa Rican Grandmother would cook if she was also a creative and contemporary professional chef. •Atmosphere: Quiet, laid back and tranquil. No background music. Open fireplace. • Suggested activities at Lodge: Butterfly and Hummingbird Garden. Plan 1-2 hours. Main Bromeliad and Fern Gardens and La Posa de Yolanda Solar heated Pool. Plan on spending a morning or afternoon. • 3 Computers with internet for guest use at no charge. Spend as little time as possible. You're on vacation. • Suggested stay: 2-4 nights. • Owned and Operated by Costa Rica Expeditions ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Travelocity, Cheap Tickets and T4B so you can book your Monteverde Lodge & Gardens reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Monteverde Lodge And Gardens
- Monteverde Lodge & Gardens Hotel Monteverde Cloud Forest Reserve
- Monteverde Hotel Gardens
- Gardens Hotel Monteverde
- Monteverde Lodge & Gardens Costa Rica