My family and I stayed at El Establo about a week ago. As we were being dropped off at the hotel by Gray Line, our driver said, we were staying at the nicest hotel in the Monteverde area. It's a beautiful, rustic looking hotel with buildings built into the mountainside. We were in the 500 building, probably about half way up, a little far for me to walk up and down, but my daughter had no problem walking up the paths. There are shuttle buses that constantly run up and down. Whenever we called for a shuttle, there was one waiting at the door, before we could even walk down the hallway. The room was a good size with a large bathroom. It did get a little warm in there at 4:00 when the sun came through the window. There was no air conditioning or ceiling fan, but there are vents above the sliding door, so if you left the curtain open at night, you did get a little breeze. Free breakfast was included, but restaurant was closed that week for lunch/dinner. Breakfast included a nice selection of food and it was pretty good. There is also a more expensive restaurant on property, Laggus. We had desserts there one night - a trio of petite desserts for $8 (ordered a couple). They were tasty and we devoured them in no time flat. There is also a bakery/sandwich shop at the bottom of the hill which was pretty good. ATM machine too. You could walk down the street about 10 minuets and find a few shops and restaurants. We also took a cab into town for a few dollars. I believe the hotel had 2 pools and a tennis court, but we didn't get a chance to use them. We did do the Night Walk for about $25 per person. You were given a flashlight and walked around trails at night looking for animals. It was fun. We saw a really beautiful sunset from on top of the mountain. We also saw a couple of Coati roaming the grounds during the daytime and there are some peacocks and other birds along one of the paths. They also have zip lines/canopy tour. Wi-fi was available in "common" areas. I would stay here again.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Nestled in the misty cloud forest of Monteverde, El Establo offers the best quality services that will make your trip an unforgettable experience: The area`s best view, heated indoor pools, spa, restaurants, café-bars, special events center, internet access, souvenirs shop, tennis court, basketball court, mini soccer court, hiking trails, canopy tour and the most charming staff. This half Costarican – half Quaker, family owned hotel, will allow you to share the best of both cultures. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Booking.com, Hotels.com, Travelocity, Orbitz, Cheap Tickets, Priceline, Odigeo and Despegar.com so you can book your El Establo reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- El Establo Hotel Monteverde
- El Establo Monteverde
- El Establo Costa Rica/Monteverde