“Nice Place” 4 of 5 stars
Review of El Establo

You added El Establo to your Saves list
El Establo
3.5 of 5 Resort   |   Diagonal to Escuela Rafael Arguedas | N 10° 18.7836 / W 84° 48.9587, 60109, Costa Rica   |
Ranked #5 of 18 Hotels in Monteverde
Utah
“Nice Place”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 28, 2013

Enjoyed one night here in early April. The room was nice, the bed was comfortable. Loved the balcony and the night air. Breakfast was good. Beautiful area! Lot's of green everywhere. We did the sky tram and sky walk in the Monteverde Cloud Forest.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (183)
Miami, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 26, 2013

Large family size suite, in 300 building, sleeps 5-6 people, but only one bath, downstairs. Comfortable plush beds, very clean and modern with wonderful views. Great buffet breakfast included. The resort has a canopy tour, night walk, trails, spa, two restaurants. My husband forgot to put our money away in the safe when we left for the day. When we got back the money was on the dressing table, and all of it was there. Kudos!!!!

Room Tip: They all have views.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
San Diego, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 25, 2013

This is a most she you visit Costa Rica, large clean rooms, breakfast is included and is good, friedly staff, they arrange all your all your visits to the different attractions in the area, (zip lines, guided tours, etc). Great place to visit.

Room Tip: Ask for a room in the top of the hill, the views and the sunsets are incredible
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Westerville, Ohio
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 22, 2013

We loved Hotel El Establo. The family suite in the 300 block of rooms was perfect for my family of 6 and also close enough that we could walk easily to the grocery and Johnny's pizzeria, which my kids loved! My 4 sons (ages 6-15) and I did a nighttime canopy tour at the top of the hotel property with headlamps and that was a rush! The pool at the top of the property is a great place to hang out and there are great views of the incredible sunsets from every room.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
San Francisco, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 21, 2013

Comfortable, clean, and refrigerator in the room. No extra charge for watching the sloths in the trees on the property. They have their own zipline (extra charge) and also provide a night nature walk (also an extra charge). Take the night walk! We saw frogs, praying mantises, walking stick insects, a tarantula, a coatimundi, and many other critters. They provide flashlights for the night walk.

Yes, it is on a steep hill, but they provide a shuttle bus, or you can get some exercise. We took the shuttle bus up the hill, and walked down. They have a nice breakfast buffet.

The restaurant is about 2 miles from town. The shuttle bus is on the property only, but they can call a cab which arrives almost immediately. Cab fare to town is about $2. The cab can also take you to the local parks, restaurants and sites - anywhere in Monteverde will be less than $5.

There are three restaurants right across the street, in addition to the hotel's own restaurant. Or go into town at eat where the locals eat - Soda La Amistad. It's hard to find, but the food is very good, large portions, and dirt-cheap.

The power goes out every night, so bring your own alarm clock or use your cell phone to wake up in the morning.

They use toilet paper that is very heavily perfumed. If, like me, you are allergic to perfumes, bring your own unscented paper and get theirs out of the room and far away.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Pomona, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 16, 2013

This is a beautiful hotel in the mountains of the Misty cloud forest of Monte Verde Costa Rica, the rooms are very spacious and with a big balcony with a beautiful view to the cloud forest, where you can seat and enjoy having a drink at the end of the day activities.

The hotel offer the service to come to your room and pick you up and take you back to the room until 10:00 PM we enjoyed the wild life one night going back to our room, we saw a armadillo, and a coati (raccoon) family and a fox.

It has a great restaurant bar where the have a happy hour daily and excelent food!, and the breakfast consist of a varity of cereals, yogurts, fruits, juices, eggs, sausages and of cours gallo pinto.

If I ever comeback to this region of Costa Rica for sure I would love to stay here again!

Room Tip: All rooms have a great view!
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
Redmond, Oregon
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 16, 2013

I read a few comments that indicate some of the visitors think it was a steep location in an out of the way place. I don't know what you would expect when you go to a country that is narrow and has a steep mountain "backbone" running down the center, especially when your destination is located in a remote mountain village. It’s steep and it’s remote. Know that before you decide to go. However, it is a wonderful place to visit. At least it was for me, my wife, my son, his wife, and their two teenage daughters.
My wife and I visited Monteverde in 2003. Primarily because she likes flora and I like fauna - especially birds. Costa Rica is chuck-full of both. On Dec. 31, 2012 we found ourselves again in Monteverde, only this time we brought one of my sons and his family. Again, the trip was for the scenery and to give the girls the experience of traveling to Costa Rica. We had traveled from the Tabacon Hot Springs Resort which resulted in a boat ride across Lake Arenal, and many miles of poor road to finally arrive on the side of the mountain at El Establo.
Some people might not appreciate the fact that the buildings containing the rooms were spread up the steep hillside. We were in the very top building - 900, on the top floor. My two teenage granddaughters had no problem when they wanted to go to the restaurant at bldg. 500 (mostly for the WiFi hotspot). I'm 73 and I had no problem the time we went on a canopy tour and had the driver let us off in town on the way back. Sure, it was up and down - mostly up, but once we got to the reception desk in the bottom building we could ride a free shuttle van to the top. If we were at our room we could call for a van and it would usually arrive before we could get the 6 of us organized and outside. I had no problem when my son (a geocacher) said, "Hey Dad, there’s a geocache at the top of that mountain by the radio towers. Wanna go with me?" I did. It was steep and we probably covered 5 miles round trip from the lobby. We found the geocache as well as a guan, several other birds, and an agouti.
Did I like the resort? Yes, but we knew we were going to a remote village on the side of a mountain. We also knew that Costa Rica is not Paris, New York, or any large, grand, tourist trap. I found the two restaurants at the resort to be adequate. I found the scenery and views to be excellent. Keep in mind that flat-land doesn't offer much of a view.
PS: I added 4 new birds to my lifetime list. We also discovered a baby mussurana snake. Look it up. They are rare to find, fascinating, non-venomous, and they eat vipers!

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family

Been to El Establo? Share your experiences!