“An unforgettable experience in the positive sense” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #13 of 28 attractions in Monteverde
Type: Nature/ Wildlife Areas
More attraction details
Attraction Details
Owner description: The Monteverde Wildlife Refuge is committed to the preservation of our native flora and fauna. It features animal views, guided family walks, and guided sunset nocturnal toursSit under a shady tree and watch Quetzals, Bell Birds, Umbrella Birds, Snakes and a variety of other birds in their natural habitat.Monteverde Wildlife Refuge is a private sanctuary, staffed by nature lovers and is the newest Wildlife Refuge in Monteverde Costa Rica.
United States
“An unforgettable experience in the positive sense”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 25, 2013 via mobile

There are a lot of night tours in Monteverde, but I was very happy with this outfit. Night tours are their exclusive specialty, and you can tell. The price is not $23pp and although I had to pay more for an out of the way pickup, it was worth it. (Transportation from almost all hotels is complimentary). Sights in such a tour aren't guaranteed for obvious reasons, but out guide Jorge/Koky was what made this such an excellent activity. Tons of information, bilingual even to the idiomatic level, funny, and he was happy to take photos for our group (which led to many spectacular shots). They have a 6pm and an 8pm tour, the latter of which is not offered by most outfits in case your schedule requires a later walk. As for sights, they included all assortment of insects, tarantula, green pit viper snake, sloths, toucans, coati, kinkajou, among others. They also provide complimentary coffee which is nice in the chilly damp evening. I do not hesitate in recommending this place for your obligatory cloud forest night hike.

Visited October 2013

Bern, Switzerland
3 attraction reviews
“great informative tour”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 11, 2013

even though it rained during the whole tour i did enjoy myself.
this tour was everything i hoped for: good guide, a lot of information, a lot of wild life.

Visited October 2013
Arlington, Virginia
“Worth doing”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 16, 2013

I enjoyed this night tour, choosing the Spanish speaking group rather than my native English, just to continue my immersion. There were just four of us including the guide and that was good for different reasons. Although we didn't see as much wildlife as I hoped, it was worth it. The tarantula was the most memorable. The guide was excellent.

Visited April 2013
Cincinnati, Ohio
55 attraction reviews
“Night Hike”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 31, 2013

I liked that the company will send a van to pick you up from your hotel. Once there, we got seperated from another group of friends and were told that we could not wait to be in the same group. They moved pretty fast and wanted to get people out on the trails before the darkness set in. Our guide was friendly enough, but not very talkative. He did give little bits of information here and there about the animals we saw, but didn't really talk in between sightings. It was really neat walking in the jungle at night. The noises were incredible to listen to. I wasn't sure what to expect. We did end up seeing a couple of insects (walking sticks, sleeping butterfly, praying mantis, beetle), 2 vipers, 3 toucans, an oilbird, bats, a quetzal, an agouti and a kinkajou. I wish we would have seen more and spent more time learning about the wildlife. I liked that we had flashlights to guide our path as needed, but I would have liked to be able to use it to scan for animals on my own. Overall, it was an interesting walk and gave us a chance to be in the jungle at night. It was pretty tiring, especially after a busy day of running around and sight seeing. I would definitely recommend the earlier trip over the later one.

Visited August 2013
Hamilton, Canada
6 attraction reviews
“Night hike in rain”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 28, 2013

Not very expensive; flashlights supplied and hot coffee; saw woolly possum, keel bill toucan, spot shoulder frog, tarantula in its nest, oil bird, numerous insects, bats, kinajou...and a bright green pit viper.
Not bad in the rain. A good experience. Recommended.

Visited August 2013