“Roy Porros Great Guide!” 5 of 5 stars

Monteverde Cloud Forest, Costa Rica
Website
Improve this listing
Annapolis, Maryland
“Roy Porros Great Guide!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 14, 2012

We just returned form the cloud forest where we had the most wonderful guide. Roy new so much since he grew up in the jungle. He was very informed and sensitive to all the wildlife. We thoroughly enjoyed our time with him. He also helped us take photos with our small cameras or iphones through his scope. I have a beautiful picture of the quetzals we saw.

Visited December 2012

San Jose, Costa Rica
6 attraction reviews
“Adrian Mendez NOT a nature lover...”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 10, 2012

We went on a tour with Adrian Mendez in Curi Cancha reserve and he was awful. The first insect we found he actually CAUGHT, TORE OFF IT'S WINGS AND STOMPED IT TO DEATH. We obviously told him we thought that was terrible, we payed to see the wildlife, not to see it killed by our guide. He got really angry and wanted to give us our money back, and not give us the tour...We would've gladly accepted but knew we would't find another guide in time, so we had to wait for him to calm down and hope the rest of the tour would be better. It wasn't I spotted a Giant Anol (very rare lizard) and he jumped in front of my girlfriend, who was taking a picture of it, because he wanted to take his own pictures, completely blocking her shot. Then he wanted to catch it, but we kept him off it, with the memory of his last victim fresh in our mind. It was a good thing we did this because we followed it and witnessed it hunt down a cicada, which was incredible, we would have never seen this if he had caught it... Later he found a grasshopper but we didn't get to see it because again, he tried to catch it and it escaped. The rest of the tour we watched him tear mushrooms out, break the thorns of plants to poke other plants with them, heard his stories of how to kill animals and his complaints about the other guides because they called us to give us the location of a two toed sloth and he didn't like how the other guide had explained the location, even tough it was only thanks to that call that we got to see it, he had passed it right by. All this talking was done by him in a very loud voice so obviously we didn't get to see much else. We were really shocked at his very aggressive and invasive way of "nature guiding" it was like being guided by a small destructive child, to the point that we were actually hoping not to find wildlife because we knew he would interfere in some way.
After he left we went back in the reserve and did it very quietly, just watching and letting things happen, without interfering, the way it's supposed to be. Walking quietly we got to see 3 agutis (guatusas), a very large king snake, tons of amazing insects and much more.
Honestly I don't know what happened to him because we had actually heard good things about him, but he was a huge disappointment and is definitely not what the reviews say he is, not anymore that is.

Visited October 2012
Waco, Texas
“Adrian Mendez, nature guide, bird expert”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 5, 2012

Adrian was our guide on a tour at Monteverde Cloud Forest Reserve one late August day, and at Curi-Cancha Reserve on the following day. He was a stellar guide, and focused on maximizing our experience for the tour. He remembered our names, and worked at including each person's interest during the tour. I'm 60, and my Dad is 81. In my photo, you see my dad, a Dutch brother and sister, and Adrian with his spotting scope. Adrian knew Dutch names of some birds and flowers, which added value to the experience for the younger couple. It was our group's experience that Adrian knew how to better operate our cameras than we did. Additionally, he would take pictures with our cameras through his spotting scope, so I ended up with my prized close-up pictures of the 3 wattle bellbird and a male quetzal. I was at the Curi-Cancha park an hour and a half before hooking up with Adrian, and I obtained no good pictures. I could hear the bell bird, BONG from the hilltop, but I never could find it. Hearing it was joy for my soul, but having my pictures to relive those two days in the cloud forest is sublime. I highly, highly recommend Adrian Mendez as your nature guide in the Monteverde area. He now has over 20 years experience in guiding, and he still gets excited when he hears one of the birds call, and starts scanning with his spotting scope, so that in 3-5 seconds time, you can see it up close. I would never have seen the abundance and variety of flora and fauna that I did with Adrian. He knows his hummingbird species, zip-zip. Besides all that, he's just a really nice person.

Visited August 2012
PA
44 attraction reviews
“Adrian Mendez, our Number One Birding Guide”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 6, 2012

We booked an entire day of birding/ nature/ wildlife tour directly with Adrian after reading great reviews about him on Tripadvisor. We wanted a full day tour, not just the morning, and we communicated via e-mail a few times until close to our visit, when he called us at home to make sure he knew what we were interested in so we would be happy with our day. He picked us up, and took us to our first park. He knew the parks in and out, the links from one park to another, and is a wealth of information. In all, we saw and heard 30 bird species, and spent a good deal of time watching a female quetzal and 3 male quetzals fighting for her attention, preening, and flying from tree to tree. We were also lucky enough to see an umbrella bird, which is a rare find. He set up his scope and helped us take pictures through the scope with our I phone. We have wonderful memories with the pictures to show for it. I was so glad we were with him all day, as the birds don't just magically appear for you in the mornings only.

Visited June 2012
Chicago, Illinois, United States
29 attraction reviews
“guided tour with Andres Alvarado”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 4, 2012

After looking into recommendations on trip advisor, we booked a private tour with Andres Alvarado. It was freaking awesome. We read that it was hard to spot the animals or know what you are seeing without a guide. So, I contacted Andres (Andy) through his website forestalive.com. We asked him to guide us every day and also for night tours. He arranged an AMAZING trip for us. He is such a special person. He speaks perfect English and German. He is so well educated and has a deep respect and love for animals and the rain forest. We actually asked him to guide us both in La Fortuna and Monteverde, and he agreed. He even helped arrange a rental car for us and drove us in it (driving is pretty scary there!). He picked us up from the airport and took us personally to La Fortuna, then arranged all of our trips and our trip up to Monteverde. He MADE our trip. We loved talking to him and learning. We saw more animals then you can imagine. We learned so much from him, everywhere we went, and by the time we came home we felt like he was a part of the family. If you want to get the most out of your trip, I would highly recommend hiring Andy as your guide, and hiring him before you come to Costa Rica. He is AWESOME!!!!!!!!! We would never go to the La Fortuna area or Monteverde without him. He even took us to the attractions, such as the hummingbird garders and the bat house, and we would have never gotten so much out of those without having Andy host us. He even taught my daughter how to have a hummingbird land on her hand! And 3 of them did!!

Visited June 2012