“Great horses, guide and tour!” 5 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Ranked #2 of 30 Attractions in Monteverde
Type: Horseback Riding Stables, Sports
More attraction details
Owner description: Horseback Riding Stables in Costa Rica . Horse Trek Monteverde is based in the beautiful area of the Monteverde Cloud Forests. For over 18 years, Marvin Anchia and Janet Ellis have been offering horseback riding tours on well-loved and cared for horses. Rides include: 2.5 hours Mountain & Farm View Ride; 4 hours in the Clouds Ride; Eden Falls Secret Waterfall and Hike Combo; All Day Cowboy Ride and Multi-Day, 2-8 day Horseback Riding Holidays.
Stockholm
“Great horses, guide and tour!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 26, 2013

I took a tour of a few hours in December, and I really enjoyed it, the horses were so well trained and it was awesome to also get to see the guide Marvin in action training his horses when we stopped by his home. I hope I can go back sometime for a longer tour!

Visited December 2012
Marvin A, Owner at Horse Trek Monteverde - Horseback Riding in Costa Rica, responded to this review, August 29, 2013
I am so glad you enjoyed the ride... thank you so much for taking the time to write a comment. So appreciated!

Chicago, Illinois
5 attraction reviews
“Amazing Experience! Great Guide!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 23, 2013

Our horseback riding experience with Marvin was great! He's a true horse expert and local who knows everyone in town. I hadn't ridden a horse since I was a kid at camp, but he made me feel like I knew what I was doing as we went up and down the hills around Monteverde. I was a little worried that I wouldn't make it for the 3 hour ride, but Marvin did a great job breaking it up with opportunities to take pictures, stopping at a road side café for drinks and humming bird watching and finally ending at his house to see his special horse do some tricks It was neat to see how great a relationship Marvin has with his horses and how trusting he was to allow us to also do some tricks with the horses. I got a chance to ride Gladiator without a saddle, lay on top of him while he laid down and more. All of it was really fun. I would definitely recommend this to anyone who is in Monteverde!

Visited March 2013
Marvin A, Owner at Horse Trek Monteverde - Horseback Riding in Costa Rica, responded to this review, July 27, 2013
So glad you enjoyed the horseback ride.. I hope you keep up with the riding when you go home and come back soon!
Winnipeg, Canada
“Great excursion on well loved horses”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 21, 2013

A horseback tour was one of the things our 14 year old daughter wanted to do on our Costa Rican adventure. We watched and helped a bit as Marvin bathed and saddled up his "babies." They are obviously well loved and carefully tended to. Marvin was a good natured, fun guide with who has been "training horses longer then he has been alive!" It showed, they are all well trained and easy to ride, even for novices like us. He had us galloping in no time, but never pushed us past our comfort level. The scenery is awesome. Marvin pointed out a sleeping sloth. We stopped at a little bakery for a rest and a refreshment and enjoyed fabulous banana bread while we were overwhelmed by the number of humming birds that were flitting around the back deck.

Even though I am a little achy this really was a highlight of the trip. Be sure to ask Marvin to show you Coyote's dancing act. Its an amazing performance.

Costa Rica
“Awesome Horses ! Great Guide ! Top Notch !”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 16, 2013

Marvin is a true horse whisper, he has so much love for his babies ( as he calls them ) that they are happy to be with him on the ride, you can tell. An amazing person that will show a good time on the ride, off the beaten path on horses, Monteverde the local way. We went with our group, the ride had it all, the best part is being on such a loved animal, all of his horses are in the best shape and well taken care of - you can see it in the way that they ride, his passion is horses, his life has his horses as part of his family. We were fortunate to get the invite to go to his home to meet his prize and Joy "Gladiator" a trained horse by him that just needed to talk and he will be able to do just about anything that Marvins asks him to do...WOW !! You have to to meet him to understand the level of this unquie horse, his tricks his manners his skills, this is one trained horse. A true treat - Thank you Marvin !!! If you want to meet a local guy from Monteverde that can show his backyard and ride healthy horses, call Marvin Anchia. You will not go wrong on booking a half day ride with him - money well spent. We were all touched by his passion and his love for his babies. Enjoy Monteverde !!!

Visited March 2013
Marvin A, Manager at Horse Trek Monteverde - Horseback Riding in Costa Rica, responded to this review, July 27, 2013
Seattle, Washington, United States
“Beautiful, friendly and adventurous”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 15, 2013

My friends and I were advised to take this trek and couldn't pass it up! I have never road a horse yet felt like an expert (sort of) by the end. I still feel the reminders of how hard I worked on that horse and it was all worth it. We saw beautiful views, took a lengthy ride on a variety of levels of road/terrain.

Our cowboys/guides were fun, encouraging and had great senses of humor. The language gap was no problem at both since they spoke english! Either way it wouldn't have mattered much if they didn't. I felt scared at first but the confidence they had in me really brought up my confidence in myself. I left the ranch craving more. At the (2nd) ranch which we road to, the owner gave us a beautiful and hilarious display with his sweet beauty of a show horse Gladiador. Laughs and pictures were had during a memorable sunset. It was a short ride back to camp afterwards.

Not only would I recommend the adventure but I am excited to try my luck at riding Cosmos (my well trained soldier of a horse) again. He may have taken most of the lead but it felt safe and controlled. He knew exactly how to handle a inexperienced tourist like me!

Muchos Gracias Horse Trek Monteverde!