“Great excursion on well loved horses” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #2 of 30 Attractions in Monteverde
Type: Horseback Riding Stables
More attraction details
Attraction Details
Owner description: Horseback Riding Stables in Costa Rica . Horse Trek Monteverde is based in the beautiful area of the Monteverde Cloud Forests. For over 18 years, Marvin Anchia and Janet Ellis have been offering horseback riding tours on well-loved and cared for horses. Rides include: 2.5 hours Mountain & Farm View Ride; 4 hours in the Clouds Ride; Eden Falls Secret Waterfall and Hike Combo; All Day Cowboy Ride and Multi-Day, 2-8 day Horseback Riding Holidays.
Winnipeg, Canada
“Great excursion on well loved horses”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 21, 2013

A horseback tour was one of the things our 14 year old daughter wanted to do on our Costa Rican adventure. We watched and helped a bit as Marvin bathed and saddled up his "babies." They are obviously well loved and carefully tended to. Marvin was a good natured, fun guide with who has been "training horses longer then he has been alive!" It showed, they are all well trained and easy to ride, even for novices like us. He had us galloping in no time, but never pushed us past our comfort level. The scenery is awesome. Marvin pointed out a sleeping sloth. We stopped at a little bakery for a rest and a refreshment and enjoyed fabulous banana bread while we were overwhelmed by the number of humming birds that were flitting around the back deck.

Even though I am a little achy this really was a highlight of the trip. Be sure to ask Marvin to show you Coyote's dancing act. Its an amazing performance.

Visited March 2013
Marvin A, Owner at Horse Trek Monteverde - Horseback Riding in Costa Rica, responded to this review, July 27, 2013
So glad you enjoyed the horseback ride.. I hope you keep up with the riding when you go home and come back soon!

Costa Rica
“Awesome Horses ! Great Guide ! Top Notch !”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 16, 2013

Marvin is a true horse whisper, he has so much love for his babies ( as he calls them ) that they are happy to be with him on the ride, you can tell. An amazing person that will show a good time on the ride, off the beaten path on horses, Monteverde the local way. We went with our group, the ride had it all, the best part is being on such a loved animal, all of his horses are in the best shape and well taken care of - you can see it in the way that they ride, his passion is horses, his life has his horses as part of his family. We were fortunate to get the invite to go to his home to meet his prize and Joy "Gladiator" a trained horse by him that just needed to talk and he will be able to do just about anything that Marvins asks him to do...WOW !! You have to to meet him to understand the level of this unquie horse, his tricks his manners his skills, this is one trained horse. A true treat - Thank you Marvin !!! If you want to meet a local guy from Monteverde that can show his backyard and ride healthy horses, call Marvin Anchia. You will not go wrong on booking a half day ride with him - money well spent. We were all touched by his passion and his love for his babies. Enjoy Monteverde !!!

Visited March 2013
Marvin A, Manager at Horse Trek Monteverde - Horseback Riding in Costa Rica, responded to this review, July 27, 2013
Seattle, Washington, United States
“Beautiful, friendly and adventurous”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 15, 2013

My friends and I were advised to take this trek and couldn't pass it up! I have never road a horse yet felt like an expert (sort of) by the end. I still feel the reminders of how hard I worked on that horse and it was all worth it. We saw beautiful views, took a lengthy ride on a variety of levels of road/terrain.

Our cowboys/guides were fun, encouraging and had great senses of humor. The language gap was no problem at both since they spoke english! Either way it wouldn't have mattered much if they didn't. I felt scared at first but the confidence they had in me really brought up my confidence in myself. I left the ranch craving more. At the (2nd) ranch which we road to, the owner gave us a beautiful and hilarious display with his sweet beauty of a show horse Gladiador. Laughs and pictures were had during a memorable sunset. It was a short ride back to camp afterwards.

Not only would I recommend the adventure but I am excited to try my luck at riding Cosmos (my well trained soldier of a horse) again. He may have taken most of the lead but it felt safe and controlled. He knew exactly how to handle a inexperienced tourist like me!

Muchos Gracias Horse Trek Monteverde!

Guildford, United Kingdom
5 attraction reviews
“If you love horses or even are a complete novice, you'll love this.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 12, 2013 via mobile

I was forced into this trip by my wife who is horse mad!! And have to say it was one of the best experiences I've ever had on holiday!!! Even myself who is not a particular horse lover couldn't fail to be impressed by the love an attention Marvin puts into the horse riding experience. The horses were very easy to ride without being boring for my wife and we did several canters on the very scenic 2.5+ hour ride. Afterwards Marvin took us to his stables and put on an excellent show with his special horse. All in all a top experience, even if like me you have little or no previous experience . Just go for it you'll be well looked after!!

Marvin A, Owner at Horse Trek Monteverde - Horseback Riding in Costa Rica, responded to this review, March 14, 2013
Always great to convert a non-rider into a fan! Come back soon
“Fantastic experience”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 10, 2013 via mobile

We booked a tour with Marvin after reading the reviews here, and they are spot on. The trek is beautiful and Marvin is a unique guide. Recommended without reservation.

Marvin A, Owner at Horse Trek Monteverde - Horseback Riding in Costa Rica, responded to this review, March 11, 2013
Many thanks I appreciate all feedback and happy to have such good comments. Come back to Costa Rica soon!