“Awesome experience” 5 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Ranked #7 of 39 Activities in Monteverde
Type: Horseback Riding Stables, Sports
More attraction details
Owner description: Horseback Riding Stables in Costa Rica . Horse Trek Monteverde is based in the beautiful area of the Monteverde Cloud Forests. For over 18 years, Marvin Anchia and Janet Ellis have been offering horseback riding tours on well-loved and cared for horses. Rides include: 2.5 hours Mountain & Farm View Ride; 4 hours in the Clouds Ride; Eden Falls Secret Waterfall and Hike Combo; All Day Cowboy Ride and Multi-Day, 2-8 day Horseback Riding Holidays.
London, United Kingdom
“Awesome experience”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 11, 2013

Horseback riding in the beautiful surroundings of Santa Elena is definitely a must do...and even better when you discover that the horses are well treated and in good health! It was obvious that Marvin, the owner of the stable, has a real passion for horses and absolutely loves what he does. Marvin came to pick us up at the hostel and took us to his stable where we met our 5 new friends. Given some of us were pretty much newbies to horse riding, it took Marvin's patient explanation to get us started...made us feel safe and we felt confident to start exploring the natural beauties of the area, trotting and even galloping (so exciting!!). The change of perspective is well worth it and we thoroughly enjoyed it!!

And if that in itself is not enough, Marvin also took us to see a newborn horse (supercute!!) and Gladiador, a very well trained horse...

Would recommend it to anyone who loves horses and wishes to meet someone who knows how to to treat them!! Whether you are a seasoned rider or a beginner you will have a great experience!!

Visited January 2013
Marvin A, Owner at Horse Trek Monteverde - Horseback Riding in Costa Rica, responded to this review, February 15, 2013
Thank you for your response, we appreciate it! Come back and ride soon!

San Diego, California
“Horseback Ride and Waterfall Hike were Spectacular!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 16, 2013

Everything on this adventure exceeded our expectations. The horses were gentle yet responsive, our guide Davis was knowledgeable and patient, and the waterfall hike was incredible! We rode through beautiful rain forest with amazing views. After, the owners treated us to a visit with their 2 day old colt and a private horsemanship demonstration by Marvin, Costa Rica's version of the Horse Whisperer.

Visited January 2013
I am so glad you enjoyed it all. The foal is quite well now, recovered from his injuries!
“one of my favourite travelling experiences of all time”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 6, 2013 via mobile

Marvin came and picked us up from our hotel and drove us to his stables. From arrival you could tell the immaculate horses were part of his life not anything to do with making money.

Neither of us had experience but Marvin introduced us to his "babies" and the basics of riding his horses. The horses behaved incredibly and obviously had been trained by a real expert. My horse Darwin had incredible control and power when asked to use it.

With his capable and friendly assistant they made sure everyone was looked after from nervous beginner upwards while pushing our boundaries at the same time for a exciting ride with breathtaking views.

Without knowing much about horse riding I had the suspicion that this guy was something a bit special when it came to horses and after popping to his house to see his "special horse" that was confirmed. After reading up on this its of no surprise that Marvin is considered a world class trainer and we would have paid to see his demonstration with Gladiator, alone.

Lovely people, fantastic value and incredible talent from Marvin and his "babies". If you want to go riding anywhere in Costa Rica this must be the place to do it.

Marvin A, Owner at Horse Trek Monteverde - Horseback Riding in Costa Rica, responded to this review, February 28, 2013
It was great meeting you too! I hope you do more riding wherever you go and send us the recommendations! Pura Vida from Marvin
California
“Great Experience”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 15, 2012

This was recommended to us by our hostel and it was a great experience! I had never ridden a horse before and I got a lot of experience from this activity. Marvin shows you the basics and then you're off, riding around the back roads of Monteverde, even trotting and galloping. If you've never ridden a horse before, just give it a shot. It's much more exciting than a gentle walk around the town.

Visited December 2012
Marvin A, Owner at Horse Trek Monteverde - Horseback Riding in Costa Rica, responded to this review, December 16, 2012
We are so glad you enjoyed your tour and please come back again for another riding adventure, this time you will be an expert, no longer a beginner!
Los Angeles, California
“Loved my horse and Marvin is so patient and an excellent guide!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 12, 2012

I have very little experience horseback riding. This was my second time on a horse during my week long trip. Marvin is an excellent guide. He picked me up and dropped me off at my hotel. He was very patient and he showed me how to properly mount my horse how to get it to speed up and stop and how to turn. He gave great instruction for a beginner and it made my experience very memorable and easy. I did the four hour "In the clouds" tour which took me to the continental divide. Marvin was really good about pointing out different plants and animals and giving info about coffee plantations. We got to take a break at a cute little café where I got some juice and pastries and coffee. There were hummingbirds there and the owner of the little cafe place was very nice.

Marvin also taught me how to gallop my horse I think that was one of the best experiences. I got to gallop it several times and I'm a newbie and I was able to do it under his guide and that was very exciting. The views were amazing. I loved my horse. He was the cutest and nicest thing in very well behaved. Towards the end, though not part of the tour---but because I asked---Marvin showed me his new baby stallion and also his prized horse---a show horse that does tricks. That was so cool. Marvin also told me how he feeds and cares for his horses. Amazing experience and guide. I gave him an extra tip. Also the ride was extremely affordable. I will definitely use Horse Trek Monteverde again when I come back to Costa Rica.

Visited December 2012
Marvin A, Owner at Horse Trek Monteverde - Horseback Riding in Costa Rica, responded to this review, December 13, 2012
It was a great day to ride and I also had a lot of fun, despite guiding for years and years.. I never get bored. Horses are my passion and I always appreciate when a rider goes home happy and I have made another convert!