“Great Experience” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #2 of 29 Attractions in Monteverde
Type: Horseback Riding Stables
More attraction details
Attraction Details
Owner description: Horseback Riding Stables in Costa Rica . Horse Trek Monteverde is based in the beautiful area of the Monteverde Cloud Forests. For over 18 years, Marvin Anchia and Janet Ellis have been offering horseback riding tours on well-loved and cared for horses. Rides include: 2.5 hours Mountain & Farm View Ride; 4 hours in the Clouds Ride; Eden Falls Secret Waterfall and Hike Combo; All Day Cowboy Ride and Multi-Day, 2-8 day Horseback Riding Holidays.
California
“Great Experience”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 15, 2012

This was recommended to us by our hostel and it was a great experience! I had never ridden a horse before and I got a lot of experience from this activity. Marvin shows you the basics and then you're off, riding around the back roads of Monteverde, even trotting and galloping. If you've never ridden a horse before, just give it a shot. It's much more exciting than a gentle walk around the town.

Visited December 2012
Marvin A, Owner at Horse Trek Monteverde - Horseback Riding in Costa Rica, responded to this review, December 16, 2012
We are so glad you enjoyed your tour and please come back again for another riding adventure, this time you will be an expert, no longer a beginner!

Los Angeles, California
“Loved my horse and Marvin is so patient and an excellent guide!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 12, 2012

I have very little experience horseback riding. This was my second time on a horse during my week long trip. Marvin is an excellent guide. He picked me up and dropped me off at my hotel. He was very patient and he showed me how to properly mount my horse how to get it to speed up and stop and how to turn. He gave great instruction for a beginner and it made my experience very memorable and easy. I did the four hour "In the clouds" tour which took me to the continental divide. Marvin was really good about pointing out different plants and animals and giving info about coffee plantations. We got to take a break at a cute little café where I got some juice and pastries and coffee. There were hummingbirds there and the owner of the little cafe place was very nice.

Marvin also taught me how to gallop my horse I think that was one of the best experiences. I got to gallop it several times and I'm a newbie and I was able to do it under his guide and that was very exciting. The views were amazing. I loved my horse. He was the cutest and nicest thing in very well behaved. Towards the end, though not part of the tour---but because I asked---Marvin showed me his new baby stallion and also his prized horse---a show horse that does tricks. That was so cool. Marvin also told me how he feeds and cares for his horses. Amazing experience and guide. I gave him an extra tip. Also the ride was extremely affordable. I will definitely use Horse Trek Monteverde again when I come back to Costa Rica.

Visited December 2012
Marvin A, Owner at Horse Trek Monteverde - Horseback Riding in Costa Rica, responded to this review, December 13, 2012
It was a great day to ride and I also had a lot of fun, despite guiding for years and years.. I never get bored. Horses are my passion and I always appreciate when a rider goes home happy and I have made another convert!
Whistler
3 attraction reviews
“So much more than just a horse ride!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 7, 2012

While visiting Monteverde my sister, and friend decided to Extremo Zipline, and I decided that was not for me, so I opted for a horseride. It was interesting in making my booking as I had told the booking agent I wanted a ride that was for outgoing people who knew how to ride. I'd read the brochures, and this Horse Trek Monteverde looked like the best fit for me, but I had to talk the booking agent into booking it for me. He was trying to persuade me to a couple of other options, which I later found out was not for my benefit but for his pocketbooks, as the others paid higher commissions.

Anyway, I finally booked my ride. First of all Marvin, our guide (and the owner), gave great instruction on how his horses needed to be handled. You could tell right away that this wasn't just some guy trying to make a living off of trail rides. His horses followed him around like puppies. His horses were magnificent, healthy, spirited, and well loved family members to him. His horses are some of the most beautiful I've seen, and it turns out many come to him looking for horses of their own, and I can see why. I rode Maximo, and he was very spirited! The ride itself was alot of fun, and we had ample opportunity to gallop, canter, and not just be doing to single file typical ride that I've had so many times.. We saw a sloth, great views, hummingbirds, wild horses, and lots of other cool sites along with way.

Just before we got back to the stable we took a little detour into Marvins riding ring at the back of the property, and he asked if we wanted to meet one of his babies. His name is Gladiator! We had no idea what we were in for, as little did we know Marvin is a true horsewhisperer, and getting the chance to see this in action was AMAZING! These horses really love to work for Marvin, and it shows. I would very highly recommend this. Make sure you ask to see him work with his horse in the ring. He actually gets invited to do exhibitions all over Central America I later found out from a local in town. I could go on, and on but I'm sure you get my drift. :)

If you are a horselover, and you are comfortable in the saddle this is the experience for you. You will not leave disappointed. Oh, and it is VERY resonably priced!

Thanks for the great experience Marvin, and Horse Trek Monteverde!

Here's a link if you want to check out some of the ride options.

Visited November 2012
Thank you much for your comments and we do hope you will be able to visit MOnteverde and go on some new routes!
La Fortuna
6 attraction reviews
“Marvin the Horse Whisperer”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 29, 2012

We've known Marvin for a long time now and use his company for our horseback tours in Costa Rica -- he's modest, humble and soft-spoken -- recently we were invited over to his corral to meet Gladiator -- his handsome "Costa Rican Criollo Paso Fino." Turns out the modest Marvin is actually a world-class horse whisperer! Gladiator and Marvin have an amazing bond and are beautiful to watch together! Our daughter loves riding with Marvin. Class act operation -- great horses -- very well-taken care of and well trained by Marvin the Horse Whisperer, his friendly guides and his wife Janet! Can't beat Horse Trek Monteverde! - Christine of Desafio Adventure Company

Visited September 2012
Thank so much your wonderful comments. We look forward to the next time you can visit and I am sure you will love our new foals due to be born late late Jan 2013
North Myrtle Beach, South Carolina
3 attraction reviews
“Favorite part of trip twice in a row!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 14, 2012

We have been to Monteverde twice in 3 years and we have done the 2.5 hour tour both times. After we returned to the States from our first trip to Costa Rica, the horseback riding tour was one of our favorite stories to tell, and it will be after this trip as well. This company is very personal and observant. After riding for a bit, the guides will tailor the remainder of the ride to your experience level. The horses are healthy, happy, and the best behaved horses I have ever encountered! Unlike the States, you can run the horses for a bit if you feel comfortable doing so, which to me makes the experience way more fun! This is not the normal nose to butt horse ride, it is so much more than I expected!

Visited October 2012
Marvin A, Owner at Horse Trek Monteverde - Horseback Riding in Costa Rica, responded to this review, November 6, 2012
Thanks you!