“Nice views” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Sabine's Smiling Horses

Sabine's Smiling Horses
1 km oeste del cementerio de Sta. Elena | follow road sign from cemetary to us, Costa Rica
+506 8385 2424
Website
Improve this listing
More attraction details
Owner description: Sabine who speaks English, French, Spanish and German and offers a variety of horse treks, from $ 22 US per hour to day trips to specialty tours including a Full Moon Ride. Several multi-day treks are also on offer. Sabine's Smiling Horses is a true destination in Costa Rica.
Carp, Canada
25 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 59 helpful votes
“Nice views”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 27, 2012

While staying at Hidden Canopy, the hostess Jenn suggested going on a horseback ride at Sabine's. My wife is an experienced rider while I am a beginner. We were out for about 2 hours. My horse was well behaved and had a nice gait (I am still learning to post, so the gait is important to the well-being of my anatomy...). There was another couple with us. Most of the ride was on dirt trails, with a bit on a back road. We stopped twice at vantage points where the view was spectacular. We also stopped at the waterfall; again, nice and refreshing if you want to wade. Interestingly, the waterfall is fed by an underground spring just a few miles upstream.

Our guide did not really speak English, and my Spanish is rudimentary. We managed to communicate, and the other couple spoke Spanish fluently so that we could always communicate. I found the guide to be very friendly. Sabine was also very nice.

All in all, a nice experience. You do not need to be an experienced rider to enjoy the ride. And those views are priceless.

Oxford, United Kingdom
19 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 54 helpful votes
“It's not just the horses that smile :))”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 4, 2012

You only have to take a look at the beautiful horses and ponies at Sabine's Smiling horses in order to see why it's by far the best stables in the area.

Add to this the welcoming smiles of Sabine and Guy and you are in for a treat and will leave with memories that will keep you smiling for years to come.

I would give them a six star rating if I could!

Amsterdam, The Netherlands
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“Perfect ride!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 2, 2012

We took the 3 hour ride, accompanied by a friendly guide, as well as Tico, the german shepherd. The views were the most spectacular yet, and the horses were very well trained. A perfect ride!

Watertown, Massachusetts, United States
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“Excellent for first time and experienced riders...great people, beautiful trip.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 30, 2012

My husband and I are newbies and were a bit nervous to ride, but my dad was really looking forward to a horse back adventure so we got the recommendation to Sabine's from our hotel and we could not be happier to have gone on such an awesome adventure. The scenery is absolutely stunning. We took the 2.5 hour tour. Our guide was great, not overbearing or lax but right in the middle. At first I was pretty nervous but quickly learned that the more relaxed you are the more the horse is relaxed and the more fun you will have. We were able to take many breaks to take pictures, and you stop at a hilltop above the clouds. The owners are super down to earth and nice. They also grow and roast coffee, and gave us a quick tour of their coffee farm. They even helped us push our car from a ditch when our 4 wheel drive stopped working. All in all, these folks are great and we would go back in a heartbeat.

Visited November 2012
Ashland, Oregon
4 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 8 helpful votes
“Great horses, beautiful views”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 14, 2012

We returned to Sabine's several times during our stay in Monteverde. (And we loved the hand-roasted coffee from her farm, too!)

Visited November 2012