“Good value for money and friendly service” 5 of 5 stars

You added Hotel BellBird to your Saves list
Hotel BellBird
Contiguo al CPI, Costa Rica   |
London, United Kingdom
“Good value for money and friendly service”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 22, 2010

I stayed at the Bell Bird for a week while attending the CPI school next door. The room wasn't huge but it had everything I needed and was clean. The free wi fi was a bonus. There's a nice communal room and the breakfasts were varied and good. Really good value and Alex, the owner, was really helpful and friendly. It's located outside of Santa Elena but walkable (or cheap taxi) into town. It's nearer to Monterverde itself which is nice and quiet and has its own forest reserve, gift shops and cafe.

• Stayed November 2010, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (4)
UK
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 30, 2010

The hotel has relatively small rooms, which have solid wooden walls. They can look a little dark but then we were only sleeping there anyway.

There is free table tennis in the balcony area, and free internet access on the PC.

The owner, Alex, was incredibly helpful, even phoning our next hotel to make sure they had made a reservation for us.

We stayed at Bell Bird for 2 nights so that we could visit the Biological Park nearby. It's about a 40 minute walk to the main park but you can get a taxi for a dollar or two.

We ate at Johnny's (Italian restaurant) which is a 5 minute walk west along the main road. You'll need a torch to walk there and back as the road is dark and quite busy.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled as a couple
Garner, NC
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2009

I did a homestay with Alexis and his wife, Cecilia, and their two adorable children. Although I can't comment on the accomodations of the hostel next door to their home, I can attest that these are wonderful people, extremely accomodating, and Cecilia is a great cook! I traveled with my 14yo daughter, and we took Spanish classes at CPI next door. I can't wait to go back and take my husband and other daughter. I will definitely look into staying at the Bell Bird as a family, and Monteverde was one of the most awesome places I can ever imagine going!

Stayed July 2009, traveled with family
Madison, Alabama
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 20, 2009

The owner was fantastic. I had a problem with my phone and he was very accommodating, letting me use his computer and phone even when he wasn't in the office. Not all of the rooms had bathrooms and showers, but it wasn't a problem. I never had to wait to use the bathroom or shower. The rooms were clean and comfortable. The hotel is right off the main road and a minute or two from town. I believe we paid about $20 US for the rooms. It is an awesome deal and I will stay there again when I go back.

• Stayed January 2008, traveled with friends
Edinburgh, Uk
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 23, 2008

The Bell Bird Hotel in Monteverde is a great place to stay. We got the double room, ensuite, I think it was $24 a night including a tasty breakfast. Alex the owner is a great guy and the place is really nice and clean. It's near the village (about 30 mins walk or a $2 taxi) but it is near the road, which is not busy but some vehicles can be noisy so you might want to use ear plugs at night.

There's lot's of communal room and space, and we mostly had the place to our self. No TV, and no kitchen you can use. It's not a place to make bnoise, but if you want a cheap, clean place to stay I dout you can do much better. Alex can organise trips, taxis etc.

I'd certainly stay there again.

• Liked — Value for money.
  • Disliked — No fridge in room, but you can ask for things to be stored in the kitche fridge.
  • Stayed May 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Been to Hotel BellBird? Share your experiences!