“A Magical View From our Breakfast Table” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Avocado Grove B&B

You added Avocado Grove B&B to your Saves list
Avocado Grove B&B
4.0 of 5 Guest house   |   10 Carramar Court, Flaxton, Queensland 4560, Australia   |
Ranked #1 of 5 Flaxton B&B and Inns
West Tamar
“A Magical View From our Breakfast Table”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 29, 2012

We were made feel welcome by John and Sonia from the moment we arrived for a 2 night stay. We were a bit jaded having missed a turnoff and the one hour late afternoon drive became two and night had fallen. We were shown into 'our' lounge which is large, very comfortable and well equipped with a large flat screen TV, DVD player, CD player and books and a tray of tea was laid before us and much appreciated.
Our room was delightful, the bed wonderfully comfortable and having a sliding door onto the verandah where breakfast was served was an additional bonus. And what a breakfast!! Every seasonal fruit imaginable, locally made yoghurt, a jug of fruit juice, unlimited pots of tea or coffee and then John quietly reappeared and asked us if he may cook a hot breakfast for us! Unable to refuse, in spite of all the fruit and yoghurt, we enjoyed beautifully cooked eggs, bacon, mushrooms and toast. Then out came the home made jams and marmalade.
To have a leisurely breakfast in such peaceful surroundings is a wonderful way to start the day. The view from our table was over the tree tops to distant mountains, for Tasmanians like us, it was easy to imagine we were perched above the jungle.
Avocado Grove was the perfect place for us to stay in. The purpose of our visit was to attend a family wedding at nearby Flaxton Gardens. The wedding was wonderful and our accomodation just flawless and the return drive to Brisbane was brilliant with the incredible views towards the coast.
John and Sonia take care and pride in all that they do, we highly commend Avocado Grove.

Room Tip: If a view is important to you, then there are 2 rooms to choose from on the 2nd floor. The downstai...
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (52)
Ipswich, Queensland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 29, 2012

My husband and I were very impressed the hospitality , service and food. A very pleasant stay...and great value for money. I would recommend staying here just for the sake of it... John and Sonya thank you.

Gold Coast, Queensland, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 19, 2012

Thanks guys for making our stay so easy. You guys went above and beyond the normal to give a very hospitable feel to our stay. Nothing was too much trouble for you and your service was impeccable. I will definitely recommend you to others. Oh, and thank you for the amazing breakfast, it totally ROCKED!!

• Stayed March 2012, traveled on business
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 19, 2012

We stayed at Avocado Grove recently for a birthday surprise and took our little dog along with us. John and Sonya were very accomodating to our needs and that of our four legged friend.

We stayed in the Sharwil suite downstairs, and we were welcome to have our dog with us in the room as well as at dinner and breakfast.

We had time in the afternoon to relax next to the pond at our own private table outside our room and sip on the lovely champas provided as complimentary. We then had a lovely stroll in the gardens and picked avocodos to take home with us. (When the avocados were ripe enough to eat, they were absolutely delish and reminded us of our lovely stay.)

John prepared us a 3 course dinner at our request as we didn't want to leave. The meal was abosolutely above all expectations and was very very well priced!

Breakfast was just as devine and the room was a perfect size for the 3 of us.

My only complaint was that we were only there one night!!! We will definately be back but will be for longer next time!!

Thanks again John and Sonya.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 11, 2012

My husband & I, brother & sister-in-law recently (Feb 2012) stayed at Avocado Grove for our son's wedding at Flaxton Gardens just 5 minutes along the main road. Our stay was absolutely perfect, nothing was too much trouble for hosts John & Sonya. John will drive you to and from Flaxton Gardens if required. We stayed in the Sharwill room which is very clean and private with an African theme, has coffee, milk and bikkies provided, is self contained with a small kitchenette and on the lower floor with a separate entrance and a table setting outside. Breakfast was fabulous - plentiful and varied - served on the deck overlooking the beautiful gardens. Our accommodating hosts were kind enough to let our daughter use our room for her children to be looked after whilst we were all at the wedding. All in all a most pleasant stay and highly recommended.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled with family
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 24, 2012

We stayed at Avocado Grove for a wedding at Flaxton and found the service to be impecible.

Sonya and John are excellent hosts, they are warm, welcoming and provided us with everything we needed and more for our stay.

Their lovely home overlooks beautiful gardens and a previous avocado plantion, and as an added bonus it is in very close proximity to the wedding venue at Flaxton Gardens.

We pleasantly surprised by the fabulous breakfast they provided for us the next day and would not hesitate to recommend Avocado Grove to others who are looking for a weekend getaway, or are attending a wedding at the nearby Flaxton Gardens.

Fraser Coast
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 24, 2012

Upfront – the idea of B&Bs horrifies me. This (irrational) fear stems from not wanting to impose on other people’s space. Moreover, I need my personal space when I am travelling and do not generally want to interact with other people too much. I just want a nice bed, good bathroom and privacy. I also project too much - the thought of hosting strangers in my home just scares me – so I transfer my own neurosis on B&B owners ☺

However, my experience at this B&B has really given me cause to reassess my (flawed) mindset.

One word summarises my experience at this B&B – John. He was brilliant. I could rave here in an embarrassing way, but this gentleman was the key to our stay (we did not meet Sonya – I am sure from other comments here she is equally special). I really felt I was not intruding; he made my partner and I very welcome – which given my previous comments, was very important.

We stayed in the Sharwil Suite, which is under the house – please don’t think subterranean hobbit burrow or anything, as it is quite light and airy. But the attraction was the separate entrance – so we were not upstairs in the main part of the house. This is, quite obviously, silly, but the separation factor was my “gateway drug” to the B&B experience.

The room was clean, good linen and even chocolates in the fridge – sadly, we lacked the time to devour these! We were staying for a single night to meet friends for dinner. John insisted on driving us to the venue and even offered to come back and get us after we finished (an offer that was exceptionally kind but I’d never take up).

However, it was the next morning where the magic really occurred. As I gradually woke up, I caught a glimpse of a silent figure laying the breakfast table outside. Not a sound! On emerging, the table was set, complete with a fruit platter and other goodies. After booting-up on some coffee (good coffee grinds provided in the room), John appeared to take the order for the cooked breakfast – and it was lovely.

In conclusion – this property is great value, with good facilities and in a really beautiful setting. But for B&B sceptics like me, it is also a good first experience with such wonderful hosts – I can’t recommend this highly enough.

PS - they put on a fantastic sunset too!!!

• Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Avocado Grove B&B? Share your experiences!