“Excellent hospitality and room” 5 of 5 stars

Rovignon Bed and Breakfast
Rue Verhas 11, Schaerbeek, Brussels 1030, Belgium   |
Ranked #10 of 16 Schaerbeek B&B and Inns
Austin, Texas
“Excellent hospitality and room”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 16, 2014

This B&B was excellent. When we checked in, the host told us that one of his larger rooms was not in use - he moved us in there. He asked us when we would want breakfast each day (breakfast consisted of pastries, bread, jam, yogurt, fruit, coffee, tea). The room was a nice two-story loft with a great view of Brussels and a living room.

Understand what type of place you're booking. Save for one exception, this could be a four/four-and-a-half star accommodation. But the bathroom is shared with another room. We literally never saw the person in the other room and the bathroom was always clean. If I hadn't been told it was shared, I would have never known. Overall, this fact was out of place with the quality of the place.

The host, again, was excellent. Each morning, he helped us plan out our day. He recommended chocolateries, friteries, waffleries, Belgian beers, museums, good walks, bike rentals, fun neighborhoods, etc. He knew a LOT about Brussels. He helped us plan a trip to Bruges and Ghent. He could not have been friendlier. He was very conversational and made himself available for his guests.

I have read a review that says the place was covered with dust and that the bathroom was dirty. I didn't really notice this. Perhaps it was cleaned up in light of that review. Overall, the place was very clean.

I really liked the neighborhood. After travelling to a lot of European cities, they start to run together for me. This was a very friendly, multi-cultural neighborhood about 20 minutes (by foot) from the city center. There were plenty of nice restaurants around there. The architecture is beautiful. You'll see a side of Brussels you wouldn't normally get.

In terms of a price-quality ratio, this is unbeatable.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room Tips
brussels
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 11, 2014

Adi is host of hosts. He is attentive, knowledgable, thoughtful, energetic and funny. He is the kind of person you will never forget (in a pleasant way). The housing is vintage and situated a bit far from the center of Brussels if you want to do everything on foot but several modes of public transportation are nearby and will connect to the center very easily. The room I stayed in was large (maybe 12 sq. m) with vintage furniture. The room was clean and functional. The exterior lighting was provided by skylight, which allowed one to see the sky but nothing else. The room and bathroom during a sunny day are well lite. The host is very attentive to detail. This is reflected in the room and in the breakfast. The accommodation is a good value and the host will do everything possible to make sure your stay is enjoyable.

Stayed June 2014, traveled on business
Budapest, Hungary
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 19, 2014

I have just spent 4 nights at Rovignon B&B but I wouldn't recommend it to anyone. It is fairly cheap but if I had known in advance what I would have had got for this price, I would have rather chosen something aroung 80 euros.

The owner lives in the house on the ground-floor and rents the very top two rooms on the 4th floor out. One of the rooms is a duplex while the other one is a single room exactly bellow the sleeping area of the duplex. Rooms look friendly but coated with dust. You have to share the bathroom that is filthy and has literally never been really cleaned up.

The street where it is located is quite but not easy to find at all. Even locals in the nearby streets couldn't help me out many times when I couldn't find my way to the house.

The owner seems to be friendly and nice but I think this is only the sugarcoating of his real thoughts and nature. He serves the breakfast every morning in his dining room that follows the same routine each and every day: jams of different fruits, slices of bread, left over coffee heated up from yesterday, some real fruits and butter. The owner is a good guide, though, to give you suggestions on places to see and go but I think that's all that can be said in his favour.

In all honesty, it could be an okay B&B to stay for a fairly good price but the dust and dirt ruins everything. I would rather go for something else where you can be on your own. Now I know that there're also far better vicinities in Brussels.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
sherlockbe, Owner at Rovignon Bed and Breakfast, responded to this review, May 20, 2014
sorry the guest didn't like his stay- my website provides directions on how to reach and i provide maps with detailed directions on how to reach the city center and place of location- my rooms are in a private house - no wonder other people dont know where the b&b is- breakfast in belgian continental as described and coffee is brewed daily (even the guest commented on the good taste)
bathroom as well is cleaned daily and as for sharing the bathroom - it was advertised
i try my outmost best to provide my guest the information directions with suggestions and propose itineraries of places to visits and things to see .. i even provide train information, and tram
i am not known for sugar coating anything
i guess one can't please them all :-(
Brussels, Belgium
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 19, 2013

I began a new job in Brussels last year and found myself at Rovignon for, as I initially imagined, for a couple of weeks. This period began to stretch longer as I realised that not only is Rovignon within easy walking distance of the North Station but if you step out of the front door and walk in the opposite direction you pass the magnificent Town Hall and find yourself with a whole host of decent restaurants to choose from. If you had the common sense to ask Rovignon's owner, Adi, for for some advice on this matter you will pretty much know in advance what to expect, as his knowledge of the local eateries is encyclopedic and his recommendations were spot on. Rovignon was always clean and tidy, Adi's family are nice folk and I even got on well with the cats.I can't imagine much better value for money, an opinion that I sense that was shared by several regular guests that I met during my stay, all of whom had stayed at Rovignon previously. Plus the breakfast was always fresh. I stayed on and off for five months and I only left when my family moved across to Belgium. If that's not some kind of a recommendation I don't know what is...

• Stayed June 2012, traveled on business
Leicester, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 17, 2013

I have just spent a fifth time visiting Rovignon, and would warmly recommend this bed and breakfast to anyone. For a start, Adi is a first-class host and is happy to help with suggestions on places to visit in and around Brussels as well as on good places to eat in the area. He makes a point of making you feel at home, and on my visits there I have got to chatting with some of the other guests, some of whom are regulars and extremely interesting, internationally-minded, likeable and intelligent people. The breakfast is wholesome, the house is warm and the rooms are clean, cosy and comfortable.

The bed and breakfast is on a quiet street, near the beautiful neo-Gothic town hall of the Schaerbeek (a suburb of Brussels) and is 15 to 20 minutes from the centre of Brussels. There is good access to public transport (trams, buses and the railway) and there are plenty of shops and a good choice of restaurants in the area.

Excellent value for money, too. You need look no further.
Michael

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
St. Louis
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 21, 2012

We traveled for 3 1/2 weeks throughout Europe and tried to stay at B&B's throughout our trip. I came across Rovignon B&B and will admit that I didn't do my research ahead of time. But the price was right, etc. We were oinly going to be in Brussels for a short period of time (we arrived around 2 pm and left at 8 am the next day). It was a little difficult to find as the directions I was given did not make a whole lot of sense. However we found a nice young man you by me pointing to an address was able to point the direction we should go. We arrived a little early and thankfully there was another guest ready to check in (who had called Adi) because we did not have cell phones with us. Adi left work to come let us all in.

Like I said, I didn't do my research so some of this is our fault.... House is older but in good condition and there are many steep stairs so if you can't do stairs or have heavy luggage don't stay here! We had oversized backpacks, so it was okay. Plus the German guy who stays here quite often was kind enough to carry our items to the top floor.

We were on the top floor and shared a bathroom with ther German guy we had just met. Bathroom was clean and we didn't run into any issues with having to share the bathroom. Big drawback is that the rooms do not lock. The bed was not comfortable at all.

House has cats however we only saw one briefly as we came in the door.

When we arrived, we dropped our bags and went to go find the Grand Center which turned out to be a further walk than we thought through areas that I was not at all comfortable in. I can truly say this was the only place on our tour of Europe that I felt uncomfortable and felt like everyone was watching us to see what they could take). I stopped at two separate places (one being a travel agency) to get directions and no one was willing to help. We finally found the Grand Center in time to take a quick tour around and walk back as it was getting dark and I didn't want to be walking around after the feeling I got walking to the Center.

Overall the place was okay--the morning of our departure, we had breakfast which was your typical European breakfast and all was good until I saw the cat's water bowl on the floor that was moldy and looked like the water hadn't been changed in weeks. (I am an animal lover so was dissapointed in this). Just left a feeling to make you wonder what else hadn't been changed.

Overall the stay was decent but not sure I would stay here again.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 20, 2012

Very restful stay of four nights at this pleasant five-storey house in Brussels. Well situated in a quiet street close to tram and bus routes. The attic duplex with a firm comfortable bed gave attractive views over Brussels to the Atomium by day and inspiring views by night to the nearby floodlit church. The lower floor of the duplex was made up as a sitting room with sofabed, radio and library. The owner tells me he is trying to create a haven of calm in the midst of the life of the city and it was entirely that.

The owner, Adi, was entirely charming and provided a wealth of travel information, advice on local restaurants and general conversation on life in Belgium and Brussels: all a very welcome change from budget hotels. Breakfasts were an elegant confection of breads, yoghurts and fruits with quince & raspberry jam, coffee and classical music.

The owner is also a keen patron of the arts and I very much enjoyed conversation ranging from the bywaters of English & French literature to Baroque music and opera, as well as an invitation to join him at the local concert hall to see the Leipzig orchestra. A delightful stay.

Stayed May 2012, traveled on business

Been to Rovignon Bed and Breakfast? Share your experiences!