“Lovely hotel” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #1 of 4 Hotels in Etterbeek
Cincinnati
“Lovely hotel”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 30, 2009

I got a great weekend rate for this hotel which included breakfast. Also, I am an Accor hotel privileged guest, so we got a coupon for free drinks from the hotel bar. All in all, the hotel was a great value for us.

From the airport, it was very easy to get to the hotel. We took the airport shuttle bus number 12 to Shuman station. You have to cross the roundabout to Froissart avenue. (That part was a little tricky. A lovely woman saw us looking lost and told us that was the way she was headed and walked us almost all the way to our hotel.) It is only about a 5 minute walk downhill to the hotel (once you find Froissart avenue!)

When we got to the hotel around 10:00 a.m. our room was not ready, but they did take our luggage and hold it for us. We returned later in the afternoon, checked in and had our luggage brought up. The hotel itself was wonderful. We were in room 403 which has been reviewed in an earlier review, so I won't repeat the information. All I will say was that it was clean, large, fantastic bed and gorgeous. I wanted to take it with me for the rest of my stay in Europe.

As mentioned, breakfast was included in our package. It was delicious. We had eggs made as we requested. They did have a difficult time with making crisp bacon, though. On our last morning, I left my purse in the restaurant. When I realized it, I went back to the restaurant and the waitress had taken it and put it away for me until I came back to get it. We went to the bar that evening. The bartender told us any drink on the menu was included with our coupon. So, we had great drinks, some free snacks and a place to relax and discuss our first day in Brussels.

The concierge desk and everyone at the main desk were extremely helpful and friendly. When I asked directions about how to get to where a tour we had booked was located, the concierge called them and they came and picked us up. I even saw him go heat up a bottle for an infant that was staying with a family at the hotel.

This hotel is a little farther away from the center of the city but not so far that you cannot enjoy what Brussels has to offer. We walked much of the way around Brussels, but also took the metro from Shuman metro stop to get around.

This definitely should be rated the number one hotel in Brussels.

• Stayed May 2009, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (91)
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 25, 2009

I went here for a business trip last year and decided to give it a go since we were in Brussels visiting friends since the rate on offer for the bank holiday weekend (averaged out at EUR 80/night) was very reasonable. I was delighted with our choice. The service was professional and discreet the whole time. We were particularly happy with the upgrade to a suite, which I suspect was because the hotel caters mainly for business traffic during the week and is quite quiet at the weekend. Although our suite was only on the fourth floor, the lady on reception also kindly let us use the sun terrace on the seventh floor (generally reserved for guests on that floor) which offered a great view out over the rooftops and a super way of taking some rays.

Comments in my previous review still stand and I have to add that the shower and bed were both outstanding.

Although not located in the heart of Brussels, the city centre is still only a 30 minute walk and there is easy access to some of quirkier corners of eastern Brussels including the Sunday morning market (recommended!) on the Place Jourdan itself.

Lancashire, UK
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 24, 2009

We received a very warm & professional welcome to this first rate hotel & given a complimentary upgrade to a suite, which was superb. We ate in the restaurant for dinner, which was good, but the breakfast (even at 30 Euro’s) was simply superb. The beds are huge and extremely comfortable & together with the quiet location makes for a great night’s sleep. Well done Sofitel – a superb experience overall.

• Stayed May 2009, traveled with family
UK
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 18, 2009

well, definately one of the most pleasent hotels i stayed in Europe, we booked through tripadvisor an got a good deal, hotel is around 10 mins walk from Schuman metro station which itself only 4 stops from the central station, we stayed there 4 nights and enjoyed it, plenty of restaurants around, staff very polite and helpful, there is sauna,gym,etc, overall we had 100% satisfaction

London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 12, 2009

We booked the Sofitel Europe through Expedia and got an excellent rate over the weekend. We chose a superior room and had a great stay.

This hotel is absolutely first class: from the moment we checked in the staff were pleasant and helpful. The room itself was stunning, with heaps of space, a huge bed and a stunning bathroom with walk-in monsoon shower and separate bath.

The only fault I could find was with the coffee machine - it was broken when we arrived, and despite reporting it, it wasn't fixed. That aside - this place is first class, and you really can't go wrong.

There were some superb little touches too, like complementary mineral water (replaced every day) and the pictures of Tintin in the lobby.

Our guidebook suggested this part of Brussels is quiet at the weekends, but our experience was quite the opposite. The hotel is situated on Place Jourdan, a lively square with plenty of bars and places to eat.

There's even a market there on Sunday, and if you don't want to have breakfast in the hotel (it's nice, but as in most hotels the restaurant is a bit soulless) there are a few cafes serving coffee and pastries.

It's about a 30 minute walk up to the Grand Place and the centre of town (you can hop on the metro too), though to be honest I'd recommend eating near the hotel as there are fewer tourist traps and the prices are more reasonable.

Make sure you try Maison Antoine on the square too. The frites are well worth queuing 30 minutes for, and the bar on the corner has a good range of beers and will happily let you much your chips inside!

North East England
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 11, 2009

A great weekend in a first class hotel. We arrived at the hotel after lunch to find we were on the 6th floor in a luxury room when we had paid only for a classic room, we were very impressed. The room was spotless and the bathroom was to die for. The bed was the biggest bed that I have been in! We never used the bar as we went into the square on a night in front of the hotel, we had the famous Maison Antoine frites and took them into the best bar on the square that was very welcoming to us called L'espérance - Chez Bernard.
It was only 10 minutes walk to the metro station to get into the centre of Brussels and it was only a couple of stops away.
The room had toiletries, hairdrier and bottled water. We also found BBC1 on the tv !!
We would definately stay there again.

• Stayed May 2009, traveled with friends
london
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 23, 2009

I was apprehensive about the Sofitel Hotel on Place Jourdan, as I had stayed beforehand when it was new and had felt it wasn't quite up to scratch on the service and atmosphere.
Also, having known the area beforehand I felt somehow a large modern chain hotel was out of place in the district. This may still e true, but I did find my 1-night stay here (2.5 yrs later) to be excellent - made particularly special by the excellent service I received.

The location is perfect for a short stay- a supermarket, nice restaurants, bakery, bars and the most famous belgian frites kiosk are all must moments away. The EU institutions and Parliament are also just 5 mins walk away. Metro is also close. Taxis are also easy to find in the square.

The corridors feel a little cold and unfriendly, but the rooms are comfortable and the showers are great. Service was really friendly but at the same time professional and cordial.

The coffee machine in my room was already broken, but was replaced right away by a very helpful and courteous staff member (might it be easier to just have free coffee/tea?!)

The breakfast was expensive, but excellent. One of the best I have ever had! I did have to ask for eggs, even though they were included - I only realised this was the case when I realised the staff were asking others for their choices -
but the quality of the food, coffee, and buffet (delicious mango fromage frais thing..mmmm) more than made up for it.

I was also pleased to see more staff at the checkout - last time the queue was really long - everyone trying to make the first morning meetings - but hopefully that has been resolved.

All in all, a lovely place to stay esp on business but also for a nice weekend if one wants to get a feel for a more modern, trendy Belgium. The area is a bit dead at weekends and the hotel could have more facilities (the gym is tiny and so is the steam room - nothing much else and few public areas - although the roof terraces are fantastic).
But it has improved greatly in the past few years, so hopefully the minor problems I had last time were just teething problems - I'd stay here again without hesitation.

• Stayed April 2009, traveled on business

Been to Sofitel Brussels Europe? Share your experiences!