“Simple bed in good location” 2 of 5 stars
Review of Hotel Derby

You added Hotel Derby to your Saves list
Hotel Derby
2.0 of 5 Small Hotel   |   24 Avenue de Tervueren | Etterbeek, Etterbeek, Brussels 1040, Belgium   |
Ranked #7 of 9 Etterbeek B&B and Inns
Innsbruck
“Simple bed in good location”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 8, 2012 via mobile

Received a room with only a sky light and no window. Got used to it as was cool and quiet on the back off hotel. Every thing worke including excellent wireless. Breakfast delivered in roon was funny and quick.

• Stayed September 2012

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (9)
  • Polish first
Stockholm, Sweden
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 18, 2012

Stayed her in March 2012 for three nights, thanks god not longer.
First of all I would never call this place for a hotel. It is dirty and old and there is not much of service. Me and my friend got a room on the top floor and since the elevator was out of function we had to carry our suitcases by ourselves (no help from the personal). Wouldn't have been a problem in a normal hotel but the stairs at this place were really narrow and I didn't trust the railing..
The standards on the rooms vary alot. Some of our friends were lucky with ok rooms, we on the other hand got one of the worst ones. There were large stains of dirt on the floor and in the bed and inside the bedside table we found hair.. We had brought our own sheets etc with us which I recommend if you'll stay here since I wouldn't call the ones in the bed clean.
The bathroom was the worst part. I never dared to shower (!) since it was full of dirt and the toilet (which also had hair on/in it) felt like it never had been cleaned. There was something yellow in it and when we flushed some of it went away, not all of it though. The floor was full of dirt aswell so we didn't like to enter without atleast socks on our feet. There were no towels for showering, only small hand towels and also there was no soap next to the washbasin (my friend had brought her own with her though).
We had one "window" in our room which was a little gap so high that we even couldn't look out without standing on the bed. This made the room pretty dark and made it look even worse.
As I said the standard depends alot of which room you get, some had mold in the bathroom, others had bathrooms looking pretty new and clean.
The two best things on this hotel is the location and the breakfast. You can walk to the most places or take the bus (bus stop just outside the hotel) or, if you prefer, the subway which also is close. The breakfast wasn't great but better than I expected: 1 cup of tea/coffee, 1 croissant, one breakfast bun and some marmalade. You will need to eat again in one hour or two but at least it was fresh and tasted good.
I would never recommend to stay on Derby but if you do, bring your own sheets, towels, soap and some cleanser for the bathroom.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled on business
Brisbane, Australia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 4, 2012

I will never stay here again! We were required to pay for our stay up-front.... it was fairly cheap and looked okay from the outside. Our room was old, but looked clean. It had a large, modern bathroom that was clean. Upon going to bed I noticed some small bugs near my pillow, I killed them and thought nothing of it.... until my friend pulled her sheets back and screamed. We were HORRIFIED to see a whole lot of tiny insects. They were mainly at the end of the bed but some were also under the pillow. There were bugs in all 3 of our beds. We headed straight down to reception to inform the hotel. The man working there asked us what we wanted him to do, as if we were annoying him, and said he could give us some bug spray. This was obviously not acceptable... we asked if our sheets could be changed and he gave us one single bed sheet each. We complained to another member of our group, who went and spoke to the man at the reception further.... he eventually agreed to move us to another room. It was the worst experience I've ever had in a hotel. They truly didn't care that there seemed to be a bug infestation and were not happy about moving us to another room. The rudeness of staff combined with the filthy bedding made our time in Brussels difficult and uncomfortable.
The only upside is the location but even that's not worth it. Worst hotel I have ever stayed in. Go elsewhere.

Room Tip: Don't choose any rooms here!!!
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends
Constanta, Romania
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 12, 2012

What would you do if you have to travel in Brussels on a day like 09th May - The Day of Europe ?
Trying to make a booking, availability is vanishing quickly and the prices are increasing.
Yet, is urgent to arrange a room and this has to stay within budget - but how to do that ?
For a reasonable price, most of hotels are at periphery . For me The Location is important.
This is how I found Hotel Derby - located in a central area at 10 min walking by European Commission and of only few min close by Parc of Cinquentenairie relaxing when walking, visiting but most of all for jogging. There are also lots of shops and few restaurants around. Neighbourhood include also the buildings of embassies.
Transportation: the metro station Merode is at the door step of hotel Derby.
I stayed in the single room 17 very small but comfortable with the minimum necessary: bed, wardrobe, table, chair, TV, telephone in the room. Situated at the third floor. There was an elevator that could fit only two persons, but I prefer to take the stairs.
The bathroom contained shower and toilet separately in two separate rooms. Cleaning was not within standards I refer to furniture and walls dirty.
The only clean things were towels and bed sheets.
The view on the window it was facing an internal yard with depressing aspect. Nevertheless, I found that useful because it was not noisy and I wasn't there on a holiday.
Check-in was possible after 12:00 noon time and check-out at11:00 AM. Cost per night 75 Eur.
Breakfast included in the price of the room, was brought IN the room - each room announcing at reception at what time they want to serve the breakfast. Content of breakfast was more than enough. Additional items may be ordered (omelette, or boiled eggs) at separate price.
Personnel is very helpful and nice.
I read the previous reviews but forced by circumstances I had to book it.
It was worthy for Location and services of personnel.

Room Tip: No air condition.
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled on business
Grenoble, France
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 23, 2012

Great location, but terrible hotel.

I was assigned a room which was not vaccuumed at around 13h30. The reason being: "Rooms are only ready at 14h". I had stated my arrival time at 12h. My duvet also had holes in it, and bathroom was old and dirty.

Due to an emergency, I had to leave early. The hotel owner refused to allow me to cancel the rest of my stay 1 day in advance. He did not even allow me to cancel my breakfast 2 days in advance!

I would definitely not stay there again.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled solo
Maynooth, Ireland
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 2, 2011

The Hotel Derby is very well located and in an impressive part of the city. It is next to Merdo Metro, 10mins from Montgomery Metro and the tram runs past the front of the building.
The Hotel is very much at the budget end; my room cost €72 per night which included breakfast. My room was in the attic 5th floor had a flat screen TV single bed and basic pine furniture. The shower was in a bit of a mess with the plug whole stained and damaged. The security of the hotel rooms was a concern; the reception was unmanned on 2 occasions you could easily access to room keys hung up on a board. The hotel is very dated and looks a bit of a mess, although there was decorating going on at the time this was long overdue. Breakfast was ok and severed in the room .Overall I would have expected a bit better standard for the price.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled on business
Canberra, Australia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 3, 2011

If you are looking for a cheap accommodation, there are much better options. If you are looking for a good hotel go somewhere else. Derby is both very expensive for what you get, and bad news as a comfortable place to rest. Apart from its good location, these are some of the problems I experienced. Internet was not reliable. You have to re-connect often and the signal is weak most of the time. My room had a very strong cigarette smell, even after two days of leaving the windows open day and night. The morning after my first night there I felt my throat very dry and my lungs as when you have been smoking (or close to someone doing it for a prolonged period of time). The bathroom was dirty, the toilet falling apart. The quilt on the bed had stains. When I asked for it to be changed they told me they couldn't do anything, so my option was not to use the quilt. The telephone wire was about to come off the device, so I had to be very careful when handling it; the telephone itself was notoriously dirty. The stand to put the luggage on didn't stand, so I ended up taking it outside the room. The employees at the hotel were relatively kind, but did (maybe could) not do anything to solve the problems, as something that wasn't up to them. Definitely do not go there, it looks a lot nicer on the photos, you'll be very disappointed once you get there.

Room Tip: Don't choose a room in this hotel! There are many other options with good location and relativel...
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled on business

Been to Hotel Derby? Share your experiences!