“Strange Place...” 1 of 5 stars
Review of Scandinavia Hotel

You added Scandinavia Hotel to your Saves list
Scandinavia Hotel
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Chaussee de Mons 115-117, Anderlecht, Brussels 1070, Belgium   |
Ranked #5 of 6 Hotels in Anderlecht
Nottingham, United Kingdom
“Strange Place...”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 5, 2014

I stayed here for two nights in the hostel part of the hotel, which is located a few doors further down the street from the hotel. The first thing I noticed which was odd is that I didn't get a key. Instead I had to ask at reception in the hotel to be escorted to the hostel by a rather unpleasant man. He let me in then departed, and I had to go through this process each time I left and returned. As the area of Brussels itself is rather run down and feels kind of unsafe, I can see this could be an issue for solo female travelers.

The hostel itself had two segregated dorms for men and women on the ground and first floors of a large building; huge rooms with strange, creepy pictures on the walls. I must say the atmosphere there was not pleasant.

The men's dorm contained between 20 and 30 beds, both bunk and single, which were crammed into it. They clearly wanted as much revenue as they could get. Thankfully during my stay there was just one other guest, and he went on the other side of the large partition between my half of the room and his. If it had been full to capacity it would have been awful. There were no recreational areas, no food available, and sleep was interrupted by the continual beeping of the security system all night; very annoying!

There were no lockers that I could see so I had to carry my valuables with me each day.

Any plus points? Well, it was cheap; you get what you pay for I suppose, and it was reasonably clean.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (9)
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Sydney, Australia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 22, 2014

The was one of the worst hotel I have ever stayed in. When I unplugged my phone from the wall socket electricity was still surging. The bed that was in our room was broken and housekeeping hadn't been bothered to fix it the leaned up the missing beams up against the wall. The wall were cracked and this was a horrible hotel I would not recommend this to anyone. The only upside was the receptionist they were very helpful and nice.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
Copenhagen, Denmark
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 31, 2013

I reserved a double room as I was travelling with my friend. Then, around 2 days after, I changed the room into a triple room without any price difference which I really appreciated. The hotel location was quite difficult to find. The hotel staff was not really friendly compared to other hotels I have been to. The room is really spacious and clean and worthy of the price.The map they gave for travellers was not helpful at all (it is only a photocopy! i dont know if they have budget for printed maps). Breakfast is too expensive. There is a television, hair dryer and enough electrical outlets. Wifi has to be paid even at the lobby. May it be a group or solo traveller, find better alternative than this hotel.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with friends
wtGTJ
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 20, 2013

We walked up to this hotel from the train station and were not too impressed as it was like entering the ghetto to say the least. However, upon getting inside, receiving a nice welcome, we found the hotel to be very much adequate to our needs. The room was basic, which is what must be expected for this price, but everything was there to help enjoy your stay. On the other hand, there were a few appliances that were broken and needed tending to. The hotel is a 15-20 minute walk to the main square which is okay in the daytime but not very nice at night when the ghetto comes to life with it's oh so dodgy inhabitants lurking around. Brussels is a lovely place and well worth visiting but if you are a bit picky then this hotel is not for you but you do get what you pay for.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
Dublin, Ireland
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 20, 2013

First - it is in no-go area! It is a 20 minute walk to the centre. Forget the shuttle - it doesn't exist. But walking to the hotel half of the way you will curse yourself for not paying more for a different hotel.
Second - it's run down and dirty. Tabs in the room have never been cleaned, they were disgusting to touch. I complained twice, they didn't bother. Breakfast tables pile up with dishes, you will have to push them to eat.
enjoy!

• Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
Oxford, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 9, 2013

I don't usually write reviews on hotels I have stayed in but thought I must with this hotel. We booked it through a travel agent and I only read the reviews the day before we went.. The reviews were awful and so I was really worried about what our stay was going to be like! But we found it a lovely little hotel... The staff were very friendly our room was basic but clean and comfortable. The breakfast in the morning was fantastic, a huge range of choice from cooked breakfast, to meats, fruit salad and pastries.

The hotel is about a 15/20 min walk to the main square but it was nice to have the walk after eating so much breakfast!

We would highly recommend it and would go back and stay again!

• Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Scandinavia Hotel? Share your experiences!