“Value for Money” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Van Belle Hotel

You added Van Belle Hotel to your Saves list
Van Belle Hotel
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   39 Chaussee de Mons, Anderlecht, Brussels 1070, Belgium   |
Ranked #4 of 6 Hotels in Anderlecht
Dorchester, United Kingdom
“Value for Money”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 4, 2012

Every year in November, 3 or 4 old school friends travel to a European city - we are now 60 and we have been doing this for many years. We look for hotels which offer value for money, and then expect the service and accommodation to be what we paid for. We have had some good, and some bad, experiences over the years, but the 3 of us who stayed at the Van Belle in late November 2013, all agreed that the hotel is good value for money. All of the negative comments about the hotel and the area, which appear under the previous reviews, we consider to be ill founded - yes, the area is a little run down, but no more than parts of any other city in the world, and we never once felt threatened, even when returning late at night. There are a lot of people around, it is a multi cultural area, and felt safe to us. Staff were friendly, and very hard working - we were a little amused when the barman left the bar for 15 minutes to do the pick up service from the town and then returned to his bar duties ! (we think he would also have done the cooking if we had ordered an evening meal !). We also think the duty manager considers his own role is to make sure this member of staff does everything rather than support him, and perhaps get his own hands dirty. The breakfast was very acceptable with a range of hot and cold food - I really cannot see how anyone would be disapointed with what was on offer. The rooms were basic but clean (and cleaned daily) - the TV is ancient but quite frankly we did not visit Brussels to watch TV. The hotel could do with some investment as it is a bit tired but if you want luxury accommodation, wide screen TV, wi-fi in rooms, then choose a hotel which provides those facilities and pay the premium! "You pays your money and takes your choice". I have scored the hotel as average but in terms of value for money we were very satisfied - it does what it says on the tin. Good luck to the Van Belle family (we met 2 of them on our last day and they have a real commitment to this hotel) in keeping going in difficult times. Thansk for a great time

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (24)
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
noordwijk
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 2, 2012 via mobile

Called for the free shuttle to be picked up at the station, was supposed to arrive in 10mn, I waited 30 mn at 22:30 on my own at the station and that wasn't fun. I called reception a few times, the person was lovely and sincerely tried to help by looking where the shuttle was but eventually I jumped in a cab as it never showed up. I was given my room key and when I entered the room it was already occupied, how embarrassing !! Again the receptionist was very apologetic, and got me an other room this time without anybody in.. The hotel is 105 years old, it's a family run hotel and unfortunately it has not been renovated for at least 50 years, or so is the feeling... The furniture is awful, the television was so small (and still the fat format) and old that I could hardly see it from my bed, no kettle in the room, no wifi either and you have to pay if you want to use it downstairs, scandalous these days. The breakfast was served in a big room, I felt like I was in a cheap all-inclusive hotel with lots of people crammed in a room. even the food was average. I used to come to this hotel about 10 years ago and I thought I would try it again because the price was just what I was looking for on that day, but I can safely say that I will never return in that hotel until it is renovated ( the breakfast lady admitted it was so ran down now that they had to start renovating in order not to loose more customers). The area is pretty bad, my room was facing a building that is falling apart, windows all smashed in and lots of dodgy people walking about. For 75€ I have had much better hotels in brussels. To be avoided at all costs, I cannot think why anybody would want to stay there.

Stayed November 2012, traveled on business

Travelers are raving about these Anderlecht hotels

Haltwhistle, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 23, 2012

hi i overnighted twice at this hotel whilst passing through by eurostar/ice train between london and berlin. the staff at the hotel were very nice and helpful the beds were reasonably comfy but the area the hotel was located in looked a bit on the rough side. the first night i visited a local bar which was fine but that night a noisy couple in the room next to me limited my sleep to just 3hrs and on the second visit i just stayed in my room as it didnt seem very inviting outside and yet again it was a tad noisy but not as bad as my first visit.
on the plus side was the free pick up service from midi station which was very good if this hotel was located in a better location i would have marked the score a bit higher.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled solo
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 18, 2012 via mobile

My partner and I stayed here for 2 nights last week. Booked online and paid 60 euros per night.

The area where the hotel is situated isn't that nice, it's a bit rough looking but we had no problems at all during our stay. We ventured out at night and ate in one of the local keebab shops and the people were very friendly.

Our room was quite large with a well sized bathroom. The shower was a bit annoying because it was positioned too close to the wall. The bed was comfortable and the room, sheets and towels were all clean.

Breakfast was included in the price, this was a buffet affair which was very basic. For the price you can't complain but don't expect too much.

If you are looking for a budget hotel in Brussels and just need a place to sleep with no thrills then this hotel is ideal.

• Stayed November 2012
Perth SCOTLAND
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 10, 2012

The hotel was ok.
They double booked my room. Did change from a double to two twin rooms for second night.
The booking had been made at least 5 months ahead of booking.
Staff were helpful and breakfast buffet was ok.

Room Tip: Make sure they do not double book, keep in contact with this hotel. A local tax is paid additional...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 9, 2012

The reception area,bar and restaraunt are pretty clean and the staff are pretty friendly.The rooms are very basic and breakfast was poor.The worst part about the hotel is the location its like a war zone and I did not feel safe going out on my own even in broad day light.

• Stayed October 2012
Queenstown, New Zealand
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 18, 2012

This is definately what I would call a "budget choice". However it was clean enough and the staff were helpful enough. Wi-Fi did work although there was a charge. The downsides here are the noise if you're on the street side and the area it is in is a bit rough. The hotel looks rather dated but the bar was fine and looks like it has been renovated more recently than the rest, although it did shut at 11pm.

Room Tip: Pick a room facing away from the street.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends

Been to Van Belle Hotel? Share your experiences!