“blissful location but be aware of times!” 4 of 5 stars

San Alfonso del Mar
Av. Kennedy 8830 | Resort San Alfonso del Mar, Algarrobo 2710000, Chile   |
Ranked #3 of 5 Hotels in Algarrobo
New York City, New York
“blissful location but be aware of times!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 16, 2013

I visited this location (Puerta del Sol building 13th floor 2 bdrm) as a side trip during the week (Tuesday through Thursday) when I was staying in Valparaiso. It was completely worth the 1 hour+ bus ride from Valparaiso bus terminal. I knew I wanted to be at the world's largest pool and just relax while hearing the waves of the ocean from my balcony. That is exactly what I did but I must make the following recommendations since not everyone may want my peaceful/ no noise days away from the city:
1) THIS IS NOT A HOTEL. Read your online booking information carefully as you can request sheets and other items. These are expensive. If you are traveling by car you should bring your own but it is worth the expense if you don't want to bother with bulky traveling items.
2) ASK ABOUT POOL OPENING TIMES, GYM TIMES, ETC. I went in low season during the week BEFORE the Easter holiday when people would begin to arrive. Therefore, all facilities were CLOSED for the three days I was there. Pools (heated and not heated) were being cleaned and prepared for the incoming crowds. Also inquire about equipment if you do not bring your own (kayak?). The equipment on site belongs to residents there. You can always make friends and ask to borrow right?
3) ASK ABOUT HOW TO GET YOUR KEYS, WHAT TIME, FROM WHOM/WHAT OFFICE? - I received specific instructions on getting them from the main office.
4) EXPLORE OTHER TOWNS NEARBY IF THE FACILITIES ARE CLOSED OR WEATHER DOES NOT COOPERATE - Since I had cloudy days and it was a bit chilly, I decided to visit Isla Negra/ Pablo Neruda's home/museum. It was a short bus ride (20 mins) and the bus stops right outside of the building gates/entrances.
5) TRANSPORTATION - if arriving by bus to the main terminal in Algarrobo you can take a taxi or a bus to the San Alfonso del Mar apartments. Taxi is more expensive but faster.
6) FOOD - there are about three restaurants within walking distance from the apartments. Only one was open while I was there. Please call in advance to find out if they are open. Of course you can make your own meals in the apartment rental. That wasn't my plan since I traveled by bus and carried necessary items like clothes, sheets, pisco, wine, and baked goodies with manjar.

enjoy!

Room Tip: Take your time exploring the rooms on the San Alfonso website. Be selective considering your priorit...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (7)
Santiago, Region Metropolitana, Chile
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 22, 2013

Great view, great pool, but it is a bit far from the Algarrobo, need prepare food before you be there, rent a car is better. The water is cold in the off season. But expensive in the summer. The price is not good. Maybe good for family vacation

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
Caloundra, Australia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 14, 2013

We rented a room for 2 nights just prior to New Years Eve. There were approximately 20 people in the entire resort... quite bizarre however nice to have some peace also. Visually it is a stunning development, pools amazing and comfortable rooms. Indoor swimming pool charges an absurd amount of money per person to enter and charge you again if you want to re- enter. Restaurant was nice enough, simple but the food was good, again very quiet. We really enjoyed the place for the fact that you were visiting the largest lagoon pool in the world but found it strange that you could not hire a kayak or small boat as they are all privately owned. We have the place to oourselved yet nobody could offer us a vessel to get out on the water, we were willing to pay, but it wasn't done.
The one thing that made us laugh was the list of 24 or so rules about the place eg: if you have day visitors, they cannot use the pools... children cannot make sand castles on the sand!!! hello?? and a number of other entertaining yet utterly bizarre regulations... any way don;t let it put you off, we still made the most of it...

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Budapest, Hungary
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 8, 2013

Although I knew they will not let us in, we still tried to visit the world's largest pool. And, of course, the guards haven't let us in. Pity. This place should be open as an attraction, too. Apart of the large pool there is not much to be seen here. Apartment blocks are surrounded by sand desert, so go South, to Algarrobo.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Santiago, Chile
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 25, 2013

Hoping to spend a weekend at sea, we intended to reserve a flat for 2 days: First sourprise, one can not reserve for a 2 night stay. They demand a 3 night stay, EVEN IF YOU CAN'T USE IT. We proceed anyway, considering staying untill last minute possible.
Only two days after paying the reservation, i asked for a change. Customer attendants was hostile an unhelping... Consider this is not a hotel, this is a real state bureau and they do not take any responsability for the flats they're renting (as needing changes for the reservation or something similar), in that case, you are leaved to deal with the owner....
For the money you'll be paying (arround US$ 1.000 for the weekend) one should expect a service more adecuate to the money the're asking, right?

Room Tip: If you want a 3beedrom apartment, check those in the corner, they are bigger and cost the same as fl...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
Doylestown, Pennsylvania, United States
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 24, 2013

When first arrived I found out the rental office had changed our apartment into a different one because the one we selected wasn’t available due to being remodeled. NOBODY bother on calling me to let me know the changes. The woman at the desk wasn’t apologetic at all and said with an attitude “is up to you to cancel the reservation if you want” duhh after traveling to far was I going to cancel?? We found out after walking to the aquarium that it was closed and wasn’t going to open for another 3 weeks!!! Again, nobody notified us. The “largest swimming pool” is NOT for swimming at all. NO SWIMMING ALLOWED (Again not noted anywhere before arrival). You can use a boat, but have to have a license. You have to pay for spa, and Restaurants don’t open until after 7PM.
We were told in low season all activities and amenities only work during weekend (Friday 4pm to Sunday 4pm) not true, restaurant open late, no aquarium, no nothing! I feel ripped off by my own country! and the best of all NO CUSTOME service. Everyone was rude and not helpful at all.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Santiago, Chile
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 19, 2013

when you go to San Alfonso del Mar. It is NOT a hotel, it's private condos that are rented out. My wife and I live in Santiago (my work) and we love traveling around Chile. My daughter came from college for a few days during Christmas break and we stayed at San Alfonso for three nights (minimum stay). We stayed at La Crucera on the 8th floor. The condo was a definite O.K. You have to pay extra or bring your own towels and sheets. We opted for the pay extra and when we arrived all was in order. The condo was O.K. and I say that because, the microwave didn’t work, it wasn’t overly clean, didn’t have a cork screw and other few odds and ends. By no means did we let it get us down and we managed alright. The two ladies spent all day out in front of the condo tanning and I did that as long as I could and then walked around, fished, flew a kite and piddled around. The beach at the pool was nice, clean and well kept. The staff really doesn’t cater to the guest, they cater to the pool. There were many rules, one of which you could not have beer at the pool. Beer at the largest pool in the world? We put it in cups and nothing else was said. You couldn’t swim wherever you wanted. You had to stay in certain areas and give way to the sail boats and kayaks. The water in the Giant pool was MUCH warmer than the water in the smaller pool, It’s a haven for young people and I can see where it could be a lot of fun. As frequent travelers, we’re more into the secluded cabana thing than the largest crowd, I mean pool, in the world. Although it was not crowded at all. Hardly anyone there. There is a great little bar on the end close to the Pacific that served fantastic Pisco Sours and had cold Chilean beers. The “aquarium” was a little cheesy and didn’t impress us at all. On the positive side, the girls got a massage and said it was the best they had ever had! I couldn’t believe it. We didn’t eat any meals on the property so I can’t speak to that. We did eat at two places in town. One was by the Yacht Club and none of us can remember the name. It was not the best seafood and was so unremarkable, we forgot the name. If any of us remember the name, I’ll post an update… The other place we ate was right on the beach and it was called Puerto Pizza. I t was hands down, without a doubt, the worst Pizza I have ever had. No kidding. Not to mention the hefty price tag. However, having had some of the best Pizza in Chile, USA, Peru. Bolivia, and other places, maybe I am skewed. The girls agreed that the pizza was bad and we left and had sandwiches at the condo… Having said all of this, if you’re looking for a knock down drag out rock and roll party for young people, go to Vina. If you’re looking for a nice secluded place to have a romantic time on the beach, San Alfonso is NOT it. If you’re on a tight budget, go somewhere else. If you are a ‘tweener ( kids between a kid and a teenager) this may well be your place. Bothe the girls said they would go back because the sun tanning was great. Not real crowded and no public Peanut Gallery to yell, whistle and cat call while all you want to do is get some sun… As for me, glad I saw it, Glad I went, glad I got the T-shirt. It’s in the closet…

Room Tip: seemed to be more activity opposite of La Crucera
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with family

Been to San Alfonso del Mar? Share your experiences!