“A REAL NIGHTMARE!!!” 1 of 5 stars

Ranked #7 of 15 Specialty lodging in Bondi
Saint Gratien, France
“A REAL NIGHTMARE!!!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 29, 2012

We would not recommand this backpackers. It was horrible. Showers/Kitchen/Rooms were very dirty and the staff unpolite. We made a lot of Backpackers and it was the worst that we did. We did not feel in totally security, averybody can enter is in the hostel. For our first night is was impossible to sleep. People were drunkers and shouted all the night and knonck on all the door room and the guy in charge of the security did nothing. Our TV did not work and we had to wait 3 days before it will be repaired. Scandalous!!!!!! If you want to spare a pleasant trip do not go to this place. !!! We hope that our comments will help the future travellers.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple

61 people have reviewed this hotel

Families
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (4)
Bondi, New South Wales, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 14, 2012

Best Hostel I've seen in Australia so far. Had an amazing time here and would always come back. Feels like home. Thanks for everything!!!!

• Stayed February 2012, traveled with friends
uk
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 19, 2012

This hostel is not your average hostel, it becomes like your home, even now i return to this place to go see the staff as they have become my friends....i stayed here in a 12 bed dorm for over a month in December, and loved every min of it, always things to do, bar crawls, activities, real happy friendly, safe feel to this place.
I have done 4 years of travelling and in that time have stayed at a hell of lot of hostels, and this place is up there with my top 3 places.
Its a very well organised and clean place, but the staff are the best thing about this place.
Big thanks to Richard, Tim, Seana, Flow, Laure, Fonze, and the rest of you for making my stay amazing.
Would definitely recommend this place. x

• Stayed December 2011, traveled solo
Bondi, New South Wales, Australia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 9, 2012

So not a bad hostel, the room i stayed in (dorm 7) was tiny yet had 5 bunk beds in, with no lockers in the hostel your things where just left on the floor due to the lack of space so the room was very busy in that respect. I hadn't heard of anybody having problems with theft or any of the kind, guys and gals had laptops in our dorm and it seemed good. Good atmosphere in the dorm. Separate men and ladies toilets / showers. Yet small cramped and well dirty. 2 toilets and 3 showers to service over 120 guests I believe. When i arrived they had closed the TV room because people where sleeping in there i found that a bit odd. The "free" breakfast was horrible like horse feed, free tea and coffee was cool though. There were scheduled things to do like beach games and stuff which was good. The guy at reception was quite helpful when it was open, I found it odd how often it was closed for such a busy hostel. The noise policy after 11 midweek was adhered to so if you wanted to sleep you could, weekend was sort of crazy though but then again it was Saturday night. All in all not good not bad. But Location Location Location, 50 metres from the beach all amenities on the door step, location is second to none.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled with friends
brisbane
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 16, 2011

Arrived at 2pm, Reception was closed.
Called the number on the desk was told by someone who was clearly after being woken up to wait for someone to come down they then hung up.
A boy who clearly looked like he's been dragged backwards though a ditch wearing board shorts and nothing else meandered down and checks us in. We were left to find our room ourselves.
Leaving reception/ the kitchen/ drug swapping area we walked up the stairs and followed the smell.
If you can imagine walking into a house owned by a hobbit, small dark dank smelling of moss, well imagine that only filthy too. Four beds one being used and the other three looking like something out of a Tailban bunkhouse. The room was horrible it stank and you know that feeling of not being able to tell if your sheets are just so cold they feel a bit wet or wondering if they are actually damp well yea thats how I spent the first hour in bed. Then the crawling started, now Im sure they dont have bed bugs because I didnt get them but im sure it was a psychological side effect of being in such a hole myself and my buddie seriously felt like things were crawling on us... however no evidence was found the next day other than our own scratch marks.
To sum up, the kitchen is a hovel with birds strolling around on it, flies bumping uglies, the bondi segment of "Rastas" smoking as much weed as is humanly possible and the staff to call them ignorant and lazy is a HUGE understatment. They couldnt care less.
DONT STAY THERE.

Room Tip: its tells me to add a tip to help get a good room I suggest staying somewhere else.
  • Stayed May 2011, traveled with friends
Sydney
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 25, 2011

I travel quite a lot and I have stayed in a range of accomodation types both nationally and internationally from some very swish hotels such as the Sheraton Melbourne and Fairmont YVR to some serviced hotel apartments such as The Cascade Lodge Whistler and The Centrury Plaza Hotel in Vancouver to quite a few YHA's such as HI Vancouver Central, YHA Railway Square, YHA Sydney Central to some non YHA backpackers hostels such the one I am now staying at ie Bondi Backpackers.
Of all the backpackers hostels I have stayed in all the YHA ones in terms of cleaniness and location were excellent. The YHA 's seem to have amenities/facilities included which are not available in some non YHA backpackers hostels.
I am only staying at Bondi Backpackers for 1 night due to a work commitment requiring a very early start and quite a late finish the following day. To be honest I am struggling to spend the night here and would not recommend anyone to stay for more then 1 or 2 nights here. I can't understand how anyone could stay here more then a few nights Nothing is complimentary at Bondi Backpackers - yes they have an exceptional location right opposite Bondi Beach on the main drag and yes their service is also quite good but there is a surcharge if you pay by credit card and there are deposits for various things - some of which are non refundable (which I was not aware of until I arrived with no cash just a credit card and a debit card with limited funds in it) such as a key deposit, blanket & cleaning deposit etc. There is no lift and when I got up to my room on the 3rd floor did not realise how baren my double room was - very basic a double bed with a sheet and 2 pillows (which would not pass my cleaniness standards, an old chair, a fan ( the room was so hot when I arrived), a very small bar fridge which I wasnt even sure works , a bin, a single locker and a small square mirror so high up on the back of the old door that I can't use. No blankets on the bed and no sink in the room. There are no private bathrooms - they are all separate communal showers and located at the end of each floor - oh and watch your step when you hop into the shower cubicles they are raised. Toliets are separate as well further down from the showers with a single hand basin and no hand dryer only an old fashion hand towel roll and 1 liquid soap dispenser. I could not see any power points in the bathrooms.The kitchen located on level one is down the hall from the reception/lounge area and is quite small wth some benches and tables. When I went to have a look at the communal fridge (there is only one in the kitchen) it was "chockers" (that's jam packed) - there was nowhere for me to put my cooler bag which was tiny compared to everyone elses! I wasnt going to put my tiny cooler bag on the "free food" shelf which was the only empty space in the communal fridge - which was "busted" (that's broken) by the way. Rooms are quite small,old and carpeted. The whole building is in dire need of a facelift - it is very run down and stained - if you like your room bare with stained carpet and graffitted walls then this is the backpackers hostel for you. Any another thing - don't stay here if you want a quiet stay the noise has just started right outside my window which by the way is facing extremely close the the brick wall of the building next door!!!!! So much for getting a good night's sleep for my early start and long work hours tomorrow!!!! Make sure you BYO earplugs - I have !!!!!
No free internet and no tv
One final thing - no wonder they have no photos of their rooms on their website! I wont post any photos I took in case legal action is taken against me. Everything I have written in the review is from my observation during my stay so I am being as honest about Bondi Backpackers as I can.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled on business
London, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 8, 2011

This hostel is like a prison, having to be buzzed in and out, reception is not open 1pm to 5pm then shuts at 8pm. Cleaning is a word not heard here....cockroaches, food on the floor in the kitchen, flys buzzing round overflowing bins. The staff are barely helpful at all. there is no air con, with 3 little fans in the middle of a 12 bed dorm is apprently sufficent.. Hot, smelly and gross. Also, only ONE plug in the room which the fans were plugged into.
NEVER EVER EVER EVER stay there, I have been telling travellors en route to avoid it like the plague.
Disgusting.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled with friends

Been to Surfside Bondi Beach Backpackers? Share your experiences!