“Cute ambiance but too many bugs!!” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Vue Bar

Vue Bar
80 Campbell Parade | Bondi Beach, Bondi, Waverley, New South Wales 2026, Australia (Formerly Vue Bar & Tapas)
+61 2 9130 5166
Website
Improve this listing
Ranked #47 of 233 restaurants in Bondi
Cuisines: Tapas
Good for: Outdoor seating, Scenic view
Dining options: Reservations, Late Night
Description: Beach front location with amazing uninterrupted 180 views of Bondi Beach offering South American style tapas and platters combining a selection of pizzas and amazing salads accompanied with and international list of wines and boutique tap and bottled beers along with innovative list of cocktails. Catering for couples, groups, corporate functions and weddings.(Capacity 110) Smaller function room also available with a private bar for groups of 10-20. Fully protected and heated outdoor terrace to embrace that view all year round.
Chicago, Illinois
“Cute ambiance but too many bugs!!”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 25, 2014

The outdoor atmosphere on the second floor porch and the decor inside was very nice and modern and inviting. The chairs on the porch were terribly uncomfortable. We had a pizza, which was pretty good although overpriced, and a beer each, also way overpriced. The staff there was pretty friendly. What I could not get over and ultimately ruined/cut short the entire meal was the bugs. I dont know if they were roaches but they looked like some sort of roach. They were literally crawling all over the floor and benches outside on the patio. I even saw one crawling into the doorway from outside. It totally ruined my appetite and I couldn't get over it even after we moved inside. After leaving I gave them the benefit of the doubt (summer in Australia near the beach outside on a porch etc etc)..... except for that I NEVER saw another one of those bugs my entire time in Bondi... or even the rest of my 8 day trip to the country. There were only 5 other people in the restaurant on a Tuesday summer evening at 9pm... so I probably should have taken that as a hint. I would definitely not return.

Visited January 2014
Legitas2026, Manager at Vue Bar, responded to this review, January 27, 2014
Hi
I wanted to take this opportunity as the manager to express my apologies regarding your concerns when you visited Vue Bar. Unfortunately our adjoining building had 12 units fumigated that week and as a result the bugs seeked refuge and escapism to the nearest building unfortunately this was ours and other adjacent. We were not advised or aware that our neighbours were fumigating if so we would have taken the appropriate precautions to avoid any sorry of uncomfortable situation. We were not able to control the movements of the said insects as a result we too fumigated our terrace with environmentally safe products to eliminate the problem. I am deeply sorry that you had to experience this. This has never being a problem before and we have also addressed our neighbours regarding this matter. If you are still about and wish to visit us again, I assure you this was an isolated issue that prolonged itself over the course of the week longer than expected and we will have a $50 dine and drink voucher waiting for you.
Again our apologies.
Yours Sincerely
John Bar

70% Recommend
Sydney, Australia
“Terrible service!Cockroaches walking on the tables!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 21, 2014

We went at Vue Bar a few days ago for dinner, the price are in the average for a 5star restaurant ( it looks like that when u step in) the waiter was a french backpackers wearing a tshirt (I mean nothing against french and backpackers of course! I'm here on a working holiday too!) the waiter wasn't speaking english sufficient to related himself with customers, most of the wine on the wine list weren't available and in the end he recommended us a red wine who tasted old and storaged he mistaken some of our orders too but we didn't complain, we understand the situation of the waiter by himself even if they were a few customers; the portions was small but at least tasted good even if we stop eating when we saw a family of cockroaches going around the terrace and one of them walking on the empty table next to us! The waiter definitely saw them and just pretend he didn't!
TERRIBLE EXPERIENCE

• Visited January 2014
    • 1 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Legitas2026, Manager at Vue Bar, responded to this review, January 28, 2014
Hello David
I wanted to take the time to respond to your post recently, my name is John the operations manager of Vue Bar, firstly if I may apologise for the comedy of errors that you experienced on your visit, we appreciate all feed back and use this as a tool to continually improve.
If I may explain, we were not aware that our neighbours adjoining building of 12 units had been fumigated as a result the insects took refuge and escaped to our outdoor terrace and we acted upon this immediately by using an environmentally safe product however this takes a few days to be effective and over the course of the week we did our very best to control the issue, that being said it does not make up for your waiter not explaining this issue to you and again I apologise. Regarding some items and products that were not available, this was all due to a very busy period and certain suppliers had not reopened for usual business and this was a drain on our resources however again the waiter should have advised you from the outset of the sold out products not to disappoint. These issues have been addressed already and I assure you that should you choose to dine at Vue again it will not reoccur and please make yourself known as I will have a $50 drink and dine voucher waiting for you to make up a little for your bad experience.
We hope and look forward to regaining your confidence over time.
Many Thanks
John
Sydney, Australia
“All style, no substance.”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 14, 2014

1 Star service at 5 Star prices! It's not that they weren't friendly, but we went up to Vue Bar last night to celebrate my wife's birthday, and was greeted by a slack-jawed backpacker in a T-shirt that just didn't have a clue. It has a pleasant view, but the place was run by untrained, unprofessional staff. This is a bad reflection on the management.

Prices were very high, but we were ready to drink the night away anyway, until we got our first drinks. The waiter only half-filled my glass of $9 AUD Pinot Noir. As if that wasn't bad enough, it tasted like it had been stored near the oven, and was of VERY inferior quality.

After our first drinks we decided to leave. Then it took them ages to get our bill. How hard could that have been?

At those prices, it takes more than a pleasant view to run a good restaurant.

• Visited January 2014
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 1 of 5 stars Food
Legitas2026, Manager at Vue Bar, responded to this review, January 28, 2014
Hello
I would like to take the time to respond to your feed back regarding your visit at Vue Bar.
Unfortunately I have no respond regarding the warm wine, this should have never been served to you, our pours are to Australian standard however our glasses are particularly large and it may reflect the image of an under pour. We source our wines from good australian and New Zealand vineyards and some Spanish imports aswell and I apologise if your wine had turned or was not to your liking as this can happen.
We have addressed the staff member regarding all these issues and if you are about town please do pop in make yourself known and have a great glass of wine on us.
Many Thanks
John
Sydney, Australia
“Fab Service - Fab Venue”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 17, 2013

Had our Christmas work function at Vue Bar last week. They reserved a section of the verandah for us. Wonderful location, fab service and really great food. Everyone from our company was completely raving about this amazing place. The staff were very attentive, particularly Emma the manager. Can completely recommend the venue, view, food and service - you would be completely mad to miss out!!!!

• Visited December 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Sydney, Australia
“Lovely service, fresh seafood and icy cold Prosecco”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 4, 2013

Went on a voucher, but would definitely come back and happily pay full price. The service was excellent - friendly but not obtrusive. The Prosecco was so delicious and icy cold that we had to have a second glass. Shard entrée plate was delicious with beautiful warm bread, olives, pate and other yummy things. The shared seafood platter was what you hope for in a seafood platter but rarely get. Oysters!! Mussels, baby octopus, calamari, prawns and squid, and pan-fried, not battered. Fresh and hot. Good selection of desserts. The view was lovely. Unfortunately it was windy and freezing so we didn't brave the outdoor tables, but inside had a lovely, understated, funky kind of atmosphere. Highly recommended.

• Visited November 2013