“Not Bad” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Bondi Backpackers

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Bondi
Bondi Backpackers
You added Bondi Backpackers to your Saves list
110 Campbell Parade, Bondi, Waverley, New South Wales 2026, Australia   |
Ranked #7 of 15 Specialty Lodging in Bondi
London, United Kingdom
“Not Bad”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 18, 2012

We stayed here when we were backpacking around Australia in August time. We managed to just show up and there were rooms available and we got a really good deal, $15 each for 6 nights, however we weren't in the nicest of rooms. It was a dingy 6 sleeper that stank, and we were right next to the communal room so kept getting woken up. However for the price we didn't complain After the 6 days we upgraded to a 4 share which was much nicer. The communal showers are clean and the water is hot. The communal area is also nice as there is a TV and couches so everyone just lazes about. The kitchen is very modern and clean, however they have problems with food being stolen. The location is fantastic as you are opposite the beach and opposite the main bus stop into the city. Having checked out the other hostles in town this was by far the best one, not that, that says much for the others.

Room Tip: When you stay here you have to pay $10 deposit for cutlery Also make sure you have a few padlocks f...
  • Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple
BondiBackpackers, Manager at Bondi Backpackers, responded to this review, August 28, 2014
Thanks for the feedback. Food thefts are a problem in a lot of places. We do lock the kitchen from midnight - 6am to try and avoid this and we have had CCTV installed in this area. Anything kept in a communal area is kept there at your own risk.
We charge a small deposit for cutlery/plates etc for a couple of reasons. We found by making the guest responsible for these items that they were returned to us in full and clean. Prior to this we found that items would disappear to rooms, rubbish bins or other properties. We were having to keep replacing these items at considerable expense. It means that items are not left in the sink unwashed.
You can also now get lockable food bags!
Thanks again for taking the time to review your stay.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (10)
Dublin, Ireland
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 11, 2012

I was supposed to have a female only dorm as I was travelling around Oz on my own. However, when I checked in I was told they didn't have female only dorms but would put me in a room with 3 girls. perfect I thought until I got back to my room later that evening and it was 2 females and 1 male in the room. The room was pity, barely any room to even put my bag down. No stairs on the bunks to climb to the top so had to try lift myself up at the end. No bar on the top bunk so if you happen to roll around in your sleep there is a good chance of falling off.
I was supposed to stay here for two nights, I checked out at 6am the following morning when I discovered I had gotten bitten by bed bugs. Stay away, for the extra few dollars a night you will find much nicer accommodation.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled solo
Thanks for taking the time to review your stay. Since this has been written a number of changes have occurred at Bondi Backpackers. Female only dorms must always be booked in advance. Its unfortunate that you were told that that you were going in with 3 females and 1 of them happened to be a male. Foreign names can be decieving and I apologise for the staff error. A major drawback with dorms is having to deal with other peoples mess. Our 4 bed dorms are generous in size, I can only assume that the other occupants had spread their stuff about. If at anytime there is an issue with the room then please let reception know so we can try and rectify the problem for you.
At time we do get bed bugs. They are a fact of ANY ACCOMMODATION from 5 star all the way down to the backpackers at the bottom. We get maybe 3 cases a year and we deal with the issue immediately when we are alerted. Bed bugs cost accommodation lots of money, this is why we deal with it immediately. Bedbugs travel from property to property via luggage, they can also be dormant for upto 6 months. They are very nasty critters. I am sorry that you experienced then with us.
Singapore, Singapore
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 31, 2011

We were initially supposed to stay at the hostel for 3 nights (double room) but we changed our plans to stay longer in NZ instead and ended up staying in Bondi Backpackers for one night only.
It cost us a fortune as the hostel wouldn't accept our cancellation and they charged us for 3 nights anyways even though we tried to amend the booking more than 7 days in advance of our arrival - fair enough, the T&Cs we received after booking did say that Christmas is their busiest period and they don't accept any cancellations. Our bad, we should have read the T&Cs... This one night ended up costing us about £200 (equivalent to 3 nights' stay) and it was probably the worst place I've ever stayed at.
The room was like a small box. It contained a bed, a small fridge and a fan. The bed didn't even have the top sheets, you had to pay extra to get those. Basically the room felt like a prison cell.
The showers and toilets were super small. The entire hostel is in desperate need of refresh and upgrade to address the poorly maintained interior.
Ah, and the smoking - it says everywhere that you are not allowed to smoke in the hostel as this may end up with a fine. Funny enough the staff doesn't care and allows people to smoke even in the reception area, right under their nose. Shocking really.
The only good thing I can say is that the hostel is located right in the middle of Bondi... and that would be it unfortunately... So if you don't want to spoil your Sydney experience, you'd better stay away from it...

• Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple
Thanks for taking the time to review us...all feedback is appreciated. December is one of our busiest times of the year its unfortunate that you are not happy with our Terms and Conditions. At this time of the year we require a 14 days notice of cancellation. If we refunded everyone that decided to change their plans we would not have a business to run.
We advertise the rooms as clean and basic. The beds are supplied with bottom sheets and pillowcases as we found a lot more guests these days are travelling with their own bedding. In order to give the guest this flexibility we lowered the overnight rate slightly and made top sheets and blankets optional. For this we charge a very small cleaning fee.
Our showers and toilets are of a decent size. There are 2 x showers on the 3rd floor that are probably the smallest out of the lot but they are no smaller than an average shower at home.
The interior of the hostel has had renovations etc since this review has been posted.
As for smoking...this concerns me what you have told me. I no longer have the same staff employed so I am hoping that when you saw was an isolated incident. An activation of a fire alarm costs the property $1200 so we do what we can to avoid this.
Thanks again for your feedback.
Irvine, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 26, 2011

Its Oz. It's Sydney. It's Bondi. It's a hostel. You with me so far? To get a bunk and a roof without contracting hepatitis, you're going gangbusters, mate. If you're really picky, then get a private room and spend a little extra. Sure, the common areas are less than impressive, but c'mon, what do you expect? Throw a pair of flippy floppys on and shower, what's the harm. You'll live, I swear. As far as hostels go, it could be worse, it could be better. I have fond memories, but I was in a private room. Be friendly and be up for adventure: or, this place is not for you.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled solo
Thanks for taking the time to review us. All feedback is appreciated.
Sydney, Australia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 14, 2011

After travelling a fair bit and staying in my share of hostels...this is by far the worst! As others have said, no wonder there are no photos on the website. My issues started before I even arrived...there was no mention of a 3% fee by paying by card (no other options to secure the room), I booked two rooms so they charged me separately with two separate fees. Got there and no mention of paying $30 deposit for a key, which is only payable by cash. No one would want to take a key as the rooms are TERRIBLE! Total filth, beds are lumpy, we had no pillow cases but wouldn’t have touched them with a 10 foot pole anyway. Who knows what sort of marks they were but they were all over the walls, things jumping in the carpet, ugh! Shower pressure was the only good thing, but too many people sharing the bathrooms. Price ridiculously inflated for the crap that it is. Poor customer service on reception, just a total dive. Not even worth the location! Shame that the worst hostel of all is one in my own backyard. Save yourself the hassle, nightmare and money and avoid it!

• Stayed March 2011, traveled with friends
Thanks for taking the time to review your stay. It is unfortunate that we have to charge a credit card fee but due to merchant charges we have no choice. If a reservation is made online you are advised at the time that you will incur a 3% cc fee, if you were to call up and book via the phone then you would have verbally been advised this. The 3% cc fee would be the same for 2 rooms if it was done in 1 or 2 transactions so I am a little unsure as to your complaint here.
99% of backpacker accommodation charge a key deposit. This is to ensure that the key is returned. These keys cost over $40 to replace as they include 2 x security keys. This is for your security and that no one can make copies of your room key. Deposits must be paid in cash or EFTPOS. We do not accept deposits via CC as we incurr fees on this and legally we cannot refund in cash after charging via credit card. There is also 4 ATM's within 100m of the hostel.
Since this review has been written we have had some staff changes and room upgrades. All beds are rented with (and always have been) with bottom sheet and pillowcase. Your room should not have been rented without one. We have plenty of showers and toilets located on all 3 levels. Guests are welcome to use any bathrooms on any level.
Thanks again for taking the time to review us.
Deniliquin, Australia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 20, 2011

My boyfriend and I had to come to Sydney so he could do some job training and because I've never been to Sydney before, I wanted to stay close to Bondi. As we were on a budget, this was our choice.

And the worst.
We booked a double room for 3 nights. The room was hot, we were sweating the whole time we were there. Come bed time, I found bed bugs, cockroaches and other little blood filled bugs. I was up until 3am, sitting on a chair, refusing to sleep; with multiple bites on my legs, which were quite painful. I woke my boyfriend and said we're leaving. We ended up sleeping in the car on a street of Bondi.
The service was terrible, they were rude and hardly spoke to you. Didn't greet you or anything.
We went back at 7.30am the next morning [Reception opening] which didn't end up being opened until after 8. Demanded our money back so we could go elsewhere.
They weren't going to give it to us as they couldn't find any bugs anywhere, but when I showed them the pictures on my phone, they went quiet and didn't argue. Got out of there straight away.

I wouldn't recommend this to anyone. They don't show pictures of the rooms on the internet, because they're terrible. They're like little blue prison cells.

As for the location, it's great. Right on Bondi. I enjoyed the beach. And the restaurants/cafes below. Not enough to make me stay, though.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled on business
Thanks for taking the time to review us. We are sorry that you had a terrible stay with us.
Bed bugs are nasty creatures and are an issue for ANY ACCOMMODATION from 5 star all the way down to backpacker accommodation.
Since this review has been written we have had many changes. The blue is disappearing, staff have changed, rooms etc have been upgraded.
We do have staff on 24hrs a day for any issue that a guest might have.
Thanks again for taking the time to review us.
Edmonton, AB
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 5, 2011

I was unfortunate to stay here one night while staying in Bondi. I needed a cheap place and everything else within reason was full, so ended up here. The best I can say for it is that the people on reception are nice and it is cheap. Other than that, this place is a complete dive. The room was old and shabby, and I don't think that the floor had been vaccummed within the last year. The bathroom did not have a door on it, and one of the stall's doors didn't lock, so you had to be lucky to get the stall that you could actually lock. The rooms were so hot it was stifling, and I did not get a good sleep. Only stay here as a last resort....this is one of the worst budget accomodation places I have ever stayed in.

Stayed February 2011, traveled solo
We appreciate you taking the time to review us. Since this review we have updated and refreshed Bondi Backpackers.
All of our bathrooms have doors and locks on them.
Thanks again for your review.

Been to Bondi Backpackers? Share your experiences!