“One of a kind experience” 5 of 5 stars

$200 air fare rebate
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in San Antonio
Certificate of Excellence 2014
La Jolla, California
“One of a kind experience”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 5, 2014

This is a very special location. You will not regret having chosen the Mariposa Jungle Lodge for your overnight stays in between day trips to the Mayan ruins and caves in the jungle. Unique setting with very personalized service provided by the owners of the lodge whom you will meet in person. Much emphasis is on detail and personalized service. Excursions, transfers from and to Belize or other destinations can be arranged with local guides that belong to the lodge. Sharyn, the owner will work it all out with you. Food is fresh, with local flavors, produce and ingredients; staff is incredibly friendly and knowledgeable. Owners and staff of the lodge will go the extra mile to make this trip to the Belizean jungle a refreshening experience. We had a wonderful New Years Eve seated with lampions under the starry sky by the jungle pool. All rooms reach out into the jungle thicket. Just terrific.

Room Tip: There are no bad rooms. 5 or 6 bungalow suites all stretching directly into the jungle.
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (32)
Gainesville, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 30, 2013

We didn't get the opportunity to stay here, but we were looking for a place to rest our heads and we met a member of the staff of Mariposa along the road. His name was Damien. He was incredibly helpful and told us the direction we needed to go to get back to town. I would love to visit this resort next time I am in Belize. A happy, helpful staff says a lot!

Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
A TripAdvisor Member
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 16, 2013

My boyfriend and I are just arriving back to the states after a 6 day vacation to Belize. We could not wait to recap our adventures, especially at the magnificent Mariposa where we spent our first three nights. This is actually the reason we signed up for TripAdvisor, as we felt so strongly about this lodge.

First and foremost, the staff at Mariposa consists of the most helpful, genuine, and kind people you will meet. Whether it's Sharyn and Jim, the owners who helped coordinate every detail of our trip, even when the rain threw us curveballs, or the locals, Damian, Nelmarie, and Sharlene, who made us feel welcomed and special at every opportunity, it would be difficult to find people of higher quality than at Mariposa.

Next, the grounds of this resort are remarkably kept and so luscious and gorgeous. We stayed in the Jaguar cabana with a comfortable king bed and even with the rain on the thatch roof and the occasional howler monkey, we both slept soundly. Each building was clean, welcoming, and the jungle is right outside your windows whether you're eating in the dining room or hanging out in your cabana.

In addition, the excursions that can be arranged were unbelievable. We had booked a stop at Belize Zoo, trip to Caracol and Big Rock Falls, ATM, and horseback riding at Xunantunich but due to rain, we had to make other plans. We still made it to the zoo, but ended up at Tikal in Guatemala, caving at Crystal Cave with a swim at the Blue Hole, and a scenic riverside horseback ride. I could not have planned a better alternate trip as each day was incredible and memorable and some of the best adventures of our lives. Sharyn was so adamant that we get to experience Belize in some way or another despite the rain and it turned out to be better than expected.

Finally, the food is outstanding. Each night we received a personalized menu highlighting the 4 course meal and we scraped our plates clean. Breakfast was also amazing and filling and showcased classic Belizian dishes. Major compliments to the chef for creating such gorgeous displays and delicious food, and catering to our likes and dislikes.

I could go on and on, but the bottom line is we fell in love with Mariposa and would highly recommend this luxury jungle lodge to anyone traveling to the jungle. We hope to make it back soon!

Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
Arlington, Virginia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 22, 2013

My boyfriend and I spent 6 nights at Mariposa before heading to San Pedro for another week of Scuba Diving. The owner, Sharyn, was wonderful months before the trip helping me create our itinerary. When we arrived in Belize, Damian was at the airport to greet us and take us to the Howler Monkey Sanctuary (which was fantastic) and the Belize Zoo (also great).

The Rooms: The Cabanas were wonderful. Definitely luxury camping. Comfy beds, lovely screened in porch, purified water and a mini fridge. The water took a little while to arrive at a comfortable temperature in the shower, but I didn't mind it.

The Food: I thought the food was good. I liked the fresh fruits, coffee, Belizean dishes, soups and desserts. The service is very attentive and I'm sure they would have cooked something to order and left out something if I had wished it. They make tasty drinks (try the rum punch) and the beers are cold.

Some of the lunches on the excursions left much to be desired.

The Tours: My bf and I visited Cahel Pech/San Ignacio Market/Belize Botanical Gardens. IMO The Botanic gardens were a waste of time as you see may of these flowers and plants when exploring other excursions. Cahel Pech was wonderful, sadly Xunatunech was closed due to heavy rainfall. The San Ignacio Market was a nice cultural experience.

ATM- Best excursion ever. Do not miss this one.

Caracol- Another great one, my favorite ruins that we visited.

Tikal- Tikal was full day trip and in hindsight, we could have passed over this one as it was nearly $600 after the taxes had been added. The guide our lodge had arranged was terrible and was very difficult to understand. Our lunch was also terrible and I would advise demanding to go to the restaurant on site at Tikal instead of the local restaurant our guide took us to.

Butterfly Happy Hour - We went at dusk and were able to spend 20 minutes with the butterflies before settling down for an education lesson with the caretaker whilst enjoying an alcoholic beverage of our choice. I wished we had arrived a little earlier as all of the hummingbirds were already dormant. The lodge owner, Sharyn, also asked one of the guests to drive the van full of guests back to Mariposa because I think she had been partaking in the HH as well. Even though the guest volunteered, I found it a little unusual.

We had a great time on our trip but I think we were a little disappointed with the value. The lodge combined a lot of our excursions with other couples when we had paid for private excursions. While we didn't mind, we should have been discounted some of the fuel costs. The owner's son also accompanied us to Tikal which was fine, but again, we paid for all of the fuel costs and transportation there (the lodge owner did pick up our entrance fee into the park) and we just thought it was a little cheap not to discount us.

TIP: I highly suggest not pre paying your trip in its entirety. Some of the excursions we had pre paid for where closed due to inclement weather but we tried squishing them in last minute. I would have paid half and paid the balance due in the end in cash.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
Vancouver, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 30, 2013

The jungle experience at Mariposa was more than what I expected. Our meals were taken care of by the staff, which was very well prepared (they even asked us to fill out a survey on our food preferences well before we had arrived in case we had any allergies so that they could better accomodate us). Transportation from the airport to the lodge is covered by Mariposa, and they were great at arranging the excursions for us (ATM, Mayan temples, cave tubing, ziplining). The cabins that we stayed in are well furnished. Given that you're staying in the jungle, don't be expecting rooms that are 100% free from bugs. On the plus side, the beds have mosquito netting for added protection. The staff was super friendly and accommodating. Our friend had a birthday coming up, and the kitchen staff prepared a banana bread birthday cake for us, which was absolutely delicious! There's also an outdoor pool at the lodge, which is perfect to swim in during the evenings. Wifi also available in the lodge area as well. Overall, would definitely recommend coming here if you're looking to stay in San Ignacio for a jungle experience.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends
Anchorage, Alaska
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 15, 2013

I had such a great experience at Mariposa Jungle Lodge in 2010 that I returned with my family and boyfriend in December. Wow! The already-lush grounds are more beautiful than ever and there’s now a beautiful pool and poolside bar and hammocks. Unfortunately the December weather didn’t invite us to swim, but we enjoyed the romantic ambiance and pool deck chaises for stargazing.
I gladly returned to ATM and the jungle horseback ride to share the experience with my loved ones. My return to Caracol was an awesome, historical event. Thanks to Mariposa’s planning, we were among the lucky ones able to camp overnight at Caracol to celebrate the end of the Maya calendar and the beginning of whatever. We were totally impressed by this well-organized event and the privilege of being toured around the site by Dr. Jaime Awe, a prominent and entertaining expert on Maya archaeology. The program included a shaman sunrise healing ceremony and good buffet Belizean food.
At the recommendation of Sharyn, the owner of Mariposa Jungle Lodge, we spent a day visiting Actun Chapat, a less known but awesome cave with memorable relics, formations, and some huge chambers. This cave is located in the Succotz area, not too far from Xunantunich or the Guatemala border, and should be visited by cave enthusiasts who want a great caving experience without extensive rock climbing or tight places.
After a week at Mariposa, we spent two nights in Flores from where we toured Tikal with Francisco, Mariposa’s usual Tikal guide, who is an expert on Maya culture and ruins and has a great eye for the small animals and many birds on the site.
After a couple of days on Ambergris Caye, we returned to Mariposa for a jungle New Years Eve party and a well-earned day of relaxation on the beautiful premises. I love reading on the bird watch tower and hearing the sounds of nature around me.
All in all, I had a wonderful experience and agree more than ever that Mariposa Jungle Lodge is the place to go for “Adventure by Day and Comfort by Night”. In the future, my boyfriend and I plan to return to explore Crystal Cave and hopefully the ceremonial cave at the Elijio Panti Park located near Mariposa. I know Sharyn has some other ideas for us adventuresome travelers.

Room Tip: They all rock! You get your own private cabana.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Lubbock, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 10, 2013

We were greeted at the airport by Augusto from the Mariposa Jungle Lodge. He was very pleasant, accomodating and knowledgeable. It is about a two hour drive from Belize City to Mariposa. We scheduled a stop at the Monkey Sanctuary. We did see monkeys and they did come down to greet us but to me it was not worth the detour. The road going into Mariposa is 9 miles of REALLY bumpy road. Once you have made that trek you have arrived at a very quaint lodge. We were greeted by the owners, Sharyn and Jim and enjoyed a welcome cocktail. The Mariposa grounds are beautiful and the cabanas are backed up to the jungle, The cabanas were nicely decorated and comfortable. There is a frig with snacks/drinks available and everything you need in the bathrooms. The beds and pillows were comfortable. I was a little worried about the food but the Mariposa Staff was so accomodating and the food was delicious. We went on the Mountain Ridge tour and the ATM. Both require you to be in good physical shape. They were interesting and we saw some beautiful sites. Overall, our jungle experience was great! We lounged by the pool and even had dinner out there one night. I would recommend this experience to others that are feeling adventuresome and want to see unique things!!

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends

Been to Mariposa Jungle Lodge? Share your experiences!