“WOW, Love the Jungle” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #1 of 1 hotels in San Antonio
Soldotna, Alaska
“WOW, Love the Jungle”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 23, 2008

I’d like Trip Advisor readers to know about a wonderful experience I had in Belize at Mariposa Jungle Lodge. This was my first trip to Central America and to a jungle location, so I wasn’t sure what to expect. I was assured in an email from Sharyn, one of the Lodge’s proprietors, that I could expect adventure, natural beauty, comfort and good food, along with myriad birds and jungle sounds. She was right.

Sharyn helped me select excursions to expose me to a variety of what the Cayo area of Belize offers. I had a great guide to the awesome Mayan ruins at Caracol and other key sites in the Mountain Pine Ridge. I visited the ruins at Xunantunich with another guide so I could possibly benefit from two different perspectives on Mayan ruins. I spent a day riding a horse under the jungle canopy, enjoying spectacular vistas of San Antonio Village and other nearby areas, and a relaxing picnic lunch visit to Big Rock Falls, with time to climb rocks, jump and swim. On a visit to Spanish Lookout, I learned the history of the Mennonites in that community and their contribution to Belize. I enjoyed a relaxing canoe ride into the awesome Barton Creek Cave. (I could have paddled in alone, but the Belize government mandates a guide into that cave to protect it from human damage.) Then, I had a stop at the Green Hills Butterfly Farm, where I enjoyed an unexpected education on the life cycle of butterflies, along with an incredible opportunity to photograph these beautiful creatures. In Bol’s Museum Cave, I saw hundreds of relics and artifacts left by Mayans who once inhabited the area. The most unique excursion brought me into the homes of local village residents where I got a hard, realistic look at daily life and budget constraints, as well as a great buffet lunch of various home-cooked local dietary and special occasion staples. There was more. Sharyn made sure all my time was well-spent. I enjoyed narrated tours of San Ignacio, Belmopan and Belize City, as well as a delightful visit to the Belize Zoo. I typically avoid zoos because I love the freedom of wildlife in nature, but I’m glad I agreed to the stop because I was able to see virtually all the indigenous animals of Belize (many of which are nocturnal and rarely seen by visitors in their natural environment), and also to see a very well-done zoo wherein the residents appeared comfortable rather than caged.

The excursions were great, but equally impressive were the accommodations and meals. After a day of adventure, the hot showers, private hammock, and ultimately the luxurious king size bed, were the perfect way to relax and enjoy the sounds of the jungle. I fell asleep to the sounds of geckos and cicadas and awoke to the flocks of parrots and other birds each morning. One morning I was witness to five toucans right near my cabana. As to meals, I never expected such great and diversified menus in a jungle setting. Each breakfast was different and delicious. Even the picnic lunches were a great surprise. Unlike the brown bag lunches of visitors with other resorts or tour operators, I was presented with a healthy and colorful meal on a cloth placemat with matching napkin. This is indicative of the level of detail one can associate with all aspects of a visit to Mariposa Jungle Lodge. The fixed international theme dinners are unique and an outstanding value for travelers who appreciate great food and interesting menu options. The Lodge also has an alternative menu for guests who don’t want a three or four-course dinner, but I recommend the fixed menus.

Overall, my week at Mariposa Jungle Lodge was unforgettable and I recommend it highly.

• Liked — First class in everything presented
  • Disliked — a bit challenging to get to, but proprieter addresses the issue for the traveler
  • Stayed January 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

190 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (29)
New Jersey
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 10, 2008

This is a brand new lodge opened by Sharyn and Jim Brinker. It is nestled in hills of Cayo district. The hillside Cabanas blend into natural and landscaped rain forest. One can lie in a hammock in Cabanas and be in the rain forest canopy. I went for a morning walk with a guide on the lodge property and saw many birds, some unexcavated ruins, and many native plants. I enjoyed learning about plants, chuckled at the “give and take” plants. It reminded me of a tour I had taken in Amazon Jungle in Peru.

Cabanas and the lodge are very nicely decorated with local art. I thought this was a good mix of natural environment with some amenities we have gotten used to. There are mosquito nets in cabanas. Though there were no mosquitoes while we were there. The bathrooms are modern and nice. (Remember this is internal Belize, where there is no electric supply, or city water, or sewer.) Cabanas do have lights. The lodge generates their own electricity.
The best part was the Hosts and now our new friends, Sharyn and Jim. Sharyn came to Belize City to pick us up and it felt as if we had known each other for a long time. From picking us up at the airport to dropping us at the water taxi to Ambergris, they provided top notch service far exceeding expectations. Sharyn catered to fussy eaters in our party and provided gourmet meals. Even the lunches we ate out on excursions were well planned and beautifully presented. And all this with very health conscious menus that my daughter who was dieting did not complain even once! Sharyn planned our excursions and provided knowledgeable guides.
All in all, it was a wonderful experience. I liked this vacation because it was non-touristy.

• Liked — Location and service
  • Disliked — curtains with wild life motif
  • Stayed December 2007, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 2 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Las Vegas, Nv
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 13, 2008

Just spent one week at the Mariposa Jungle Lodge in Belize and would like to recommend it to anyone looking for something different from the ordinary. The lodge itself is beautiful as are the grounds and cabannas. The tours they offer were wonderful. We saw the Mayan ruins at Carocol, went canoeing in an underground cave, spent time in the capital city of Belmapan, went to Belize City, saw the Mennonite community, went horseback riding in the jungle and mountains, had a bar b que at the top of a mountain, and spent time in two local Mayan homes where we had lunch and learned how to make tortillas. The food was excellent and bar well stocked! Our hosts, Jim and Sharon Brinker could not have been more cordial and accomadating.

• Liked — The variety of things to do!
  • Disliked — The road leading in to the resort
  • Stayed March 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Lancaster, PA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 10, 2008

We were in the Mountain Pine Ridge area and needed a place to stay for the night. We saw the sign to Mariposa Lodge and decided to give it a try. We were delighted to find a new, beautiful, and very clean cabana available. Our hosts, Jim & Sharyn, were very hospitable, and gave us a great dinner, and also provided a lot of information on the area. In the morning we excited to see a Toucan land in a tree right outside our cabana, followed by 4 more! We were also given a complementary nature walk by a very well versed native of the area. We would definitely recommend staying at the Mariposa if you are visiting that area.

• Liked — The beautiful cabana and the hosts hospitality.
  • Disliked — no complaints
  • Stayed February 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Kew Gardens, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 7, 2008

My husband and I are mature travelers who enjoy new experiences and adventure, but we like our creature comforts too. All our standards were met during a week at Mariposa Jungle Lodge in the Cayo area of Belize. The proprietors, Jim and Sharyn, convey their enthusiasm about nature and jungle life, Mayan ruins and culture, and the opportunities to explore this beautiful country. Following their recommendations, we visited caves by foot, canoe and tube. With the outstanding guides they employ, we compared Caracol to Tikal and learned about local flora, medicinal plants and fauna in the process. The food was great at the Lodge and Sharyn prepared a lovely picnic lunch for us to eat on our outing to Caracol and the Mountain Pine Ridge sights. The highlight of the trip was the unique “Culture Tour” in which we not only learned about the nearby villages, but were invited into several homes to meet the local people and learn about their lifestyle, customs and beliefs. We learned how to make a delicious bean dip and fresh tortillas, which we sampled along with other typical Belizean food items. Our spacious cabaña was surrounded by natural jungle flora, including the Black Orchid which we learned is the national flower of Belize. The king-size canopy bed was very comfortable and the mosquito netting reduced our concern about jungle life joining us in bed. The thatch roof and screened-in porch gave us the jungle ambiance we’d hoped for, while the extensive tiling assured cleanliness. We were glad we stayed at Mariposa Jungle Lodge and recommend it highly.
Rita & Bjorn, Kew Gardens, NY

• Liked — the food and the hosts
  • Disliked — can't think of anything negative
  • Stayed October 2007, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 29, 2008

We stayed at the Mariposa over the holidays and had a wonderful stay.

The cabins are beautiful and the food is good. The lodge is located in the Mountain Pine Ridge area which is definitely worth seeing but be prepared for the bumpy dirt roads.

Sharyn is a wonderful host and made sure that our trip was well organized. She took the time to email us with advice on things to do and not do. She also salvaged our overnight trip to Tikal when we found we could not drive our rental car over the border (some rental car companies allow this but others do not)

All in all, I strongly recommend the Mariposa. It is still a new property so it is not as well know as some others. . .but with experiences like we had I am sure they will build a great reputation.

• Liked — Commitment by the owner to make sure we had a great vacation
  • Stayed December 2007, traveled with family
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Been to Mariposa Jungle Lodge? Share your experiences!