“Horrible place to stay” 1 of 5 stars

Ranked #6 of 14 Hotels in Matara
Colombo, Sri Lanka
“Horrible place to stay”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 30, 2013

We booked the whole hotel for ourselves. Our toilet didn't have a door and even my small child could see me taking a bath. My friends room didn't have a roof on the toilet and it was a rainy day and she found it difficult to use the toilet. In another room water was seeping from the toilet every time you took a wash. A/C's didn't work in some rooms.
Their food was good but was unappetizing because the restaurant area was swarming with flies which was absolutely disgusting. When we complained to the manager who's name was Ricky he was totally unhelpful and made it look as if it was our problem. We wanted to stay for 2 nights and left the so called hotel the same day In the evening. Even though the manager was unhelpful the staff was very nice but helpless.
Pls don't get fooled by the photos because it's a terrible place to stay.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (5)
Bratislava, Slovakia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 27, 2013

We have spent in Turtle Eco Beach first 5 days of our honeymoon and we were amazed how our first touch with sri lankan looked like. Very new place opened in December 2012 offered us nice and clean room, great food with local taste and service, which we have not experienced before. Definitely best travel experience so far. Thanks guys for a beautiful stay here. Leaving to Arugam Bay. Martin.

Room Tip: 10 is the best :)
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Tel Aviv, Israel
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 23, 2013

Hi i want to write here my experience with the Turtle Eco Hotel. The Hotel itself charges a high price for Sri Lankian Standards and except of the pool i don't really know why. I was there with my husband and 2 year old daughter. The rooms are designed but i could not find one chair that was comfortable, all the tables outside are made of cement so u can imagine how hot they get. The restaurant is expensive like hell and there is no fridge in the room, so u kind of need to eat in the hotel or go out, because they dont like when you bring food inside the hotel. They tell u that there is Internet but dont count on it. Anyway all this did not get me to rate this hotel terrible.
The note terrible comes from a experience. I get robbed in this hotel.SOMEBODY FROM THE STAFF STEAL 500 USD and MY IPHONE FROM MY ROOM. SO WATCH OUT! When i told the Manager his name was RICKKY HARRISON about this incident he told me that i am lying. I was in shock, if i would get a SORRY i would be happy, but after he was telling me that i am lying i felt humiliated . This incident happened on the lat day so the concern of this MANAGER was that i will leave without paying. Can u imagine , somebody steal from the Hotel room and the Manager of the hotel told you u were lying , no Sorry or further investigation and after all that he is pushing you every minute to pay. I felt never in my life treated so bad, thats why this hotel got a rating of terrible from me. I will never return to this place, its better to pay a third of this price and go to a guest house, where u get treated like a guest.

Room Tip: When i was there, they still built rooms. Dont take the villa directly in the netrance there is no s...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
sunilvarghese1, Director at Turtle Eco Beach, responded to this review, May 16, 2013
Dear Irene S

We deeply regret to hear that you didn’t enjoy your stay at Turtle Eco Beach. We are very proud of our small eco village and the specialist boutique service we provide. Should you return to the Madiha region may we suggest that a self-catering property may be more suited to your needs - this website should be useful http://www.lankaholidays.com/location-Southern+Coast_Mirissa-all.html

With regards to the ‘robbery’ that you write about, we only became aware of this when we asked you to settle your bill on check out. Again may I suggest that you contact Matara police on +94 041-2222727 - I am sure you will need a crime report number in order to claim on your insurance and we would, of course, assist the police with any resulting enquiries.

Warm regards

Sunil Varghese

_ ___

_Kind regards___

Been to Turtle Eco Beach? Share your experiences!

Additional Information about Turtle Eco Beach

Address: Beach Road, Batala Watta, Madiha, Matara 81000, Sri Lanka
Location: Sri Lanka > Southern Province > Matara
Bar / Lounge Beach Free Breakfast Free High Speed Internet ( WiFi ) Free Parking Children Activities ( Kid / Family Friendly ) Pets Allowed ( Dog / Pet Friendly ) Restaurant Room Service Swimming Pool Wheelchair access
#5 On the Beach Hotel in Matara
TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Agoda and Odigeo so you can book your Turtle Eco Beach reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
Turtle Eco Beach Sri Lanka/Matara

If you own or manage Turtle Eco Beach, register now for free tools to enhance your listing, attract new reviews, and respond to reviewers.