“Clean & comfortable, satisfying” 5 of 5 stars

You added Dar Zerhoune to your Saves list
Dar Zerhoune
42 Derb Zouak | Tazga, Moulay Idriss, Morocco   |
Seoul, South Korea
“Clean & comfortable, satisfying”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 10, 2012

The room is clean. And staying here is truly comfortable. Great value!

• Stayed January 2012
rosetravels12, Owner at Dar Zerhoune, responded to this review, October 21, 2012
thanks for your review and I hope you enjoyed the rest of your travels?

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (10)
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 1, 2012

we had a really good couple of days and would really recommend it.

• Stayed December 2011
Boston, Massachusetts
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 28, 2011

Clean, convenient, friendly, great views off the terrace. Only bad thing: we had a lot of trouble opening the front door! Luckily the small boy who lives next door helped us out.

Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple
York, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 8, 2011

Just returned from 18 days flashpacking around Morocco and during this time stayed in 9 places. We stayed for just one night at Der Zerhoune and were most disappointed.
This is the ONLY NEGATIVE review I have posted.
Having read other reviews we may have just been unlucky, though I do feel that some genuine thoughts be given here. The place is comfortable but a little shabby, and the decoration is not particularly good. We had an evening meal on the terrace - presented as a chicken tagine in the traditional pot, but this was clearly reheated chicken from the refrigerator......the outside hot, but the inside very cold although cooked. We should have sent it back but didn't and survived to tell the tale. We booked breakfast for 0800 hours but nobody appeared at the house before 0830 (I think staff live off the premises) making breakfast very late. I am not a moaner and we stay in a huge range of places across the continents so are not expecting anything for nothing.......but this was a poor experience for us - the only one we had in 18 days

Room Tip: ours had no windows, poor decoration, weak shower,....and no way of locking the door.,
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple
rosetravels12, Owner at Dar Zerhoune, responded to this review, November 27, 2011
Thank you for taking the time to post a review and we are sorry that you did not have an experience that was to the standard you expected. We know this is your only negative review and we have taken action based on your comments, to make the improvements for other guests. We would appreciate if you were to contact us directly to ensure we understand all the issues you experienced.
Gloucestershire
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 1, 2011

We stayed 2 nights at Dar Zerhoune and found it comfortable and friendly. We ate in on the first night, which was very good. Unfortunately on the second night we did not ask if we could have dinner until rather late too late in the evening for the house manager to cook for us, but she organised us an alternative place to eat - la Columbe Blanche - which was also very good. We visited Volublis and wandered around Moulay Idriss, which seemed very quiet and peaceful after Fes! I would recommend this guesthouse and Moulay to anyone visiting Morocco.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled with family
Thank you for your review and we are glad you enjoyed Dar Zerhoune and Moulay Idriss. We are sorry that we were not able to provide you with a meal on your second night and we are glad that you enjoyed where we recommended.
Casablanca, Morocco
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 31, 2011

We spent just one night in this delightful guesthouse and would happily recommend it to other travellers.
Sadly, owner Rose was not present when we visited but lovely manager Hajiba looked after us (despite herself being ill) She brought us refreshments upon arrival, helped with our luggage and presented a delicious Moroccan breakfast on the glorious roof terrace.
Our children greatly appreciated the WIFI, whilst we appreciated the views, the excellent location (2 minutes from the mausoleum) and the comfortable rooms. As an un-hosted house, guests keep their door keys to Dar Zerhoune and simply come and go as they please. We found this relaxed attitude charming, especially as we knew that, should we need her, Hajiba was only a telephone call away.
It is obvious that Rose has put much love into the dar (there are pretty decorative touches throughout, board-games, guidebooks and comfortable lounging spaces). It is also evident that she is at home here: many people seem to know her and the guesthouse locally. We had no trouble having an evening meal at another local guest house (recommended by Hajiba) and found a very informed and trustworthy guide who showed us the nearby Roman baths, the Roman aqueduct, the medina and fabulous hilltop views down to the mausoleum. Volubilis at dusk was an experience not easily forgotten. Many thanks to all at Dar Zerhoune.

Room Tip: Not all rooms have en suite bathrooms.
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled with family
Thank you for your review and that you enjoyed being in Moulay Idriss and meeting the locals. As you commented, yes we have ensuites to our single, double and triple rooms, and the dorm/family room has single beds and a separate bathroom.
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 30, 2011

I had wonderful experience at Dar Zerhoune & I most definately will make a return trip.

Location is wonderful, just minutes from the mausouleum, with spectacular views of surrounding mountains & Volubilis. I cannot emphasis this enough as I could not help but sketch these picturesque views & I hadn't sketched for 10 years! The roof terrace is wonderful, calm, relaxing, serene... just what I was after for my stay in Moulay Idriss.

The bedroom was beautifully decorated & very neat & clean. There is ample relaxing space...spacious roof terrace, spacious lounge (great to get out of the sun & cool down), lobby & general living areas were very roomy. The overall vibe was very chilled out & relaxed, my whole stay was wonderful.

I managed to visit Volubilis twice! The first time, I got a taxi there as it was very hot & I walked back to the village, the second time I used a bike from the guesthouse. This really added to my trip, it felt great to freewheel out of the village & I highly recommend you experience it!

The breakfast buffet was something I constantly looked forward to... delicious mint tea (you get this on arrival too! along with local nougat - what a welcome!) or coffee, various local pastries & breads which I wont attempt to spell, delicious honey, jam & fruit (some I had never seen before! but wonderful that I could try them!)

Food was exceptional, I stayed 4 days and ate in Dar Zerhoune only once unfortunately! I tried various restaurants in the town & Dar Zerhoune was by far the best. The location alone... eating lunch on the roof terrace makes it a winner, & when you add the tasty 3 courses, and reasonable price into the mix - noone could compare to it.

Staff are as helpful as they can be, & will organise guided tours, Hasiba was so polite, courteous, and always smiling. I did a guided tour of Moulay town & it was great, really worthwhile & a lovely way to spend a few hours.

Overall, this was a wonderful relaxing holiday in a spectacular city, I will be back! And I look forward to staying at Dar Zerhoune again :)

Room Tip: The room on the ground floor is the coolest in hot weather
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled with friends
Thank you for your comments and I am really glad that you enjoyed your stay at Dar Zerhoune and Moulay Idriss Zerhoune

Been to Dar Zerhoune? Share your experiences!