“Pleasant stay but HOT!” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #2 of 11 Hotels in Lorrach
Celbridge, Kildare, Ireland
“Pleasant stay but HOT!”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 16, 2013

My wife and I attended a wedding in Lorrach recently. The couple booked us into this hotel which is very central and close to the main square in Lorrach. We stayed for 3 nights. It was a very pleasant stay though it was during a heatwave and there is no air-conditioning. The staff are friendly and very efficient and managed to supply fans to all the guests while we were there. Breakfast was a good standard buffet with plenty of choice.
The rooms are well appointed and obviously recently refurbished. The shower was excellent - a necessary item in any of my stays.
The hotel has no restaurant but there are 2 restaurants directly attached to the hotel and Italian and a very good German / Greek restaurant called "Griechisches Restaurant Symposium".
One other advantage was that carparking at the hotel was free.
Overall we had a very pleasant stay which was great value for money. Throw in a great wedding and a free Mark Knopfler (Dire Straits) concert and a very good time was had by all.

Room Tip: Take a room away from the street as it can be quite noisy at night
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple

Solo
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (5)
  • Polish first
Melle , Belgium
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 12, 2013

On our way back from North Italië we decided (because of black Saturday on the highways) to have a stop over. We choose for Hotel Meyerhof in Lorrach who was qua timing nearly the middle of the trip. The hotel is located just next to the auto free zone or shopping zone of Lorrach (you can do some advantages comparing prices with Belgium).
The room was big (looks like family room for 2) for a reasonable price of 77 Euro (breakfast included) but has no air co and since it was perfect weather for having dinner outside which makes it to hot to sleep in the night. The breakfast was better then expected for a 3 star hotel. The underground parking is incredible cheap (only 3 Euro).

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Herent, Belgium
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 4, 2013

On our way back to the north we decided to book the first hotel in Germany due to ridiculous prices of hotels in Switzerland. And Meyerhof was not a bad choice.
It was for one night only and that was enough. Our room (for four persons) was huge. No other word. But it just didn't fit. Something was not in balance. Had also a hard time falling asleep. Maybe due to very bad pillows. And the summer temperatures might have something to do with it too.
The bathroom was OK and everything worked.
Attached to the hotel is a pizzeria but we didn't go there.
The breakfast was beyond doubt. Very good and tasty. Nothing more to say.

If I have to stop over in Lorrach and it is for one night only, Meyerhof is good enough. But no more then one night.

Room Tip: Bring your own pillow
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 1, 2013 via mobile

The hotel itself is clean, and centrally located. However, after a 100k bike ride in 35*c heat, you need a relatively early night - 10pm is certainly considered early to most. Unfortunately, the back rooms back onto two Greek restaurants, of whom the hotel seems to have no awareness of, nor them of the hotel. The noise coming up from these restaurants was unbearable!! A huge amount of shouting, loud and flamboyant discussions, and banging and shrieking even long after it had closed! The staff clearly have no idea of the volume of their voices.

A simple solution to bring the standard of the hotel up would be to add air conditioning in the rooms which are affected by these two restaurants. Then, the windows would not need to be open on such hot evenings.

This was the only thing bringing the hotel down. But sleeping is one of the important factors in a hotel.

If you're in Lorrach for an all night party, then this place is perfect to stay.

Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Chandler, Arizona
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 18, 2013

We enjoyed our stay at Hotel Meyerhof. We had two rooms, my daughter and her children had a "family" room which was really spacious and gave lots of options for sleeping. Both our rooms were clean and well cared for, breakfast was traditional Germany and we thoroughly enjoyed it before setting out for our sight seeing. Train into Basil was close by and we had no trouble accessing it. Strange (for us) parking under the hotel. It was on a hydraulic lift and when we pulled into our space, the receptionist lifted our car to the ceiling and there was another car underneath us!!! Lorrach itself is a nice little town to walk thru and shop. Much cheaper staying in Germany near the train and going into Switzerland for the day then staying in Switzerland.

Room Tip: The "family rooms" seemed to be in a newer part of the hotel not that our room was old but...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Birmingham, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 8, 2012

Good hotel in the centre of Lorrach. Secure underground parking. Large room with Fridge. It is an old building but rooms are clean. Large bathroom. No in room coffee or tea service. Very helpful reception staff.

Room Tip: Good hotel, value for money. They do have a resturant but I went out. The hotel is in the middle of...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
Basel
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 22, 2012

I used to consider this to be the nicest, friendliest hotel in Lorrach. Unfortunately, after spending approx EUR3000 here in the last 8 months over multiple stays, the owner, Claudia Lianou, whom I've actually never met in person, has managed to ruin all the good work of her colleagues through a single rude, ill-considered and frankly offensive piece of customer correspondence.

I often come to Lorrach for a week or so for work. Last week I contacted the hotel via email to request a booking for 4 nights. Ms. Lianou wrote back and said sorry, only 2 nights were available.

Generally this wouldn't be a big deal. The thing is, though, I have come across this situation many times before with this hotel, where they simply say "no" to a reservation outright, and then two or three days later I check back and someone has made a cancellation and there are rooms available again. However, the onus is always on the customer to check back with the hotel to see if there has been a change in availability, which I think is a bad way to treat a customer who books about a week a month in your little 40 room property.

Since I had the owner "on the line" this time, I wrote back with a little note saying they should perhaps put me on a standby list, and that saying "no" outright is not really a good way to treat a regular customer.

My email was not demanding or offensive, it simply stated my point. The reply that came back from the hotel was amazing.

Unfortunately I cannot enclose the correspondance here. I have tried already and tripadvisor won't allow us to quote emails.

In short, though, it was the most inappropriate email from someone in a customer service position that I have ever seen. It accused me of expecting service out of the ordinary, it stated that the hotel doesn't rely on guests to keep them in business and it finally told me that complaining guests were not welcome and that I should look for a room elsewhere. All from the owner herself, you understand.

After about 5 or 6 visits to this hotel over the last 8 months I will now never return. I'm not sure how much a property with just 40 rooms can afford to just throw away regular customers like this, but if they keep this up, I will be surprised if they last long. Perhaps worth keeping in mind the property has only been managed by Ms. Lianou since 2009 - and it is only now starting to gather good occupancy rates.

The irony of the whole situation of course is that I went on to booking.com two days later to check availability for other hotels in the region, and lo and behold there were rooms again available at Meyerhof. It seems that four rooms cancelled in the interim, like they always do. I extended my stay in the region from 4 to 8 nights - so they lost EUR600 this stay, plus all of my ongoing business.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled on business

Been to Hotel Meyerhof? Share your experiences!