“Still great!” 5 of 5 stars

Dining options: Dinner, Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Bristol, England, United Kingdom
“Still great!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 17, 2013

A mixture of locals and tourists - great, simple, reliable place - been going there for at least 7 years and it never changes - great venue and situation. Watch the world go by here!

Visited November 2013

Dublin, Ireland
“Sunday night "jump up" a must”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 14, 2013

We had a very enjoyable Sunday evening here drinking and dancing to an excellent steel band. Ladies should beware of a couple of aging local Lotharios who insist on you dancing with them - they can be a bit of a pest. If you aren't interested just say "no" firmly rather than "maybe later" as they will stalk you all night otherwise. If you are into "Dirty Dancing" then these old boys are for you but you have been warned!
We also had a very pleasant lunch here - they do a very good Roti and their fries are good too. The place also has a number of large screen tv's with live football from Europe.
A good fun venue.

• Visited December 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
London, United Kingdom
“Easy going and unpretentious”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 9, 2013 via mobile

We stumbled across this bar while walking along the beach from our hotel - Mango Bay and what a find it was.
On our first visit, we met an older couple who frequented this bar and always had the flying fish burger and pumpkin soup. We didn't get to try them as we only came out for drinks but they're were recommended. I had the local beer 'Banks' which is nice easy to drink, I also tried their rum punch which packs a punch :-) ... Enjoyed it too.
When it came time to pay, I remembered I only had US dollars on me but the other couple advised me that it would be accepted and if I wanted my change in the same currency I could ask for it and it wouldn't be an issue so I did and just as they said, it wasn't a problem.
A few days later I decided to revisit to watch a football game which I was told they would be showing live. We had a couple of bottles of Banks while watching the game and as it was our last night in Barbados, I definitely didn't want a lot if any local Barbadian dollars and I asked the waitress for my change in US dollars just as I did on the first visit but this time I got Barbadian dollars. I reminded the waitress that I had asked for US dollars and walked over to the till with her to try and do a swap but when she approached her colleague on the till, the till minder snapped at her saying there were no US dollars. She tried to make the point that I had asked for this and she made an error but the minder was adamant there were no dollars even though I saw her hand out some US dollar change to other customers.
It's a pity that something so simple wasn't dealt with in a more professional manner - snapping at your colleague in front of your customers is poor but doing it about something the customer has requested is even more so. To think it was going so well.
Nevertheless, this won't put me off revisiting the bar if in the area again.

Visited December 2013
Dwayne H, General Manager at Surfside Restaurant & Beach Bar, responded to this review, December 13, 2013
Thanks Kindly for your review.

I'm glad that this experience hasn't hampered your feelings towards us here at Surfside. There is an old saying "its not what you do, but how you do it."

Essentially it is a rule of thumb not to trade(give back out) any foreign currency collected. I understand you said you came during the day and got back USD change but you didn't at night. The main reason for this is during the day with cruise ship passengers we give back USD change because obviously the cruise ship passengers are going to be on the island for a finite period of time. On the other hand at night time we will be assuming all persons are staying on the island and would in fact be spending BDS and giving them back BDS change would not be an issue, I would go a step further to say at nights generally we would not have any small bill USD making it near impossible to give back change even if we wanted, as we make provisions for this during the day but not at night

The main concern here thought I think was how the entire situation was handled and for that I sincerely apologise.

I do hope you stay true to your word and return to Surfside very soon.

As always if you have any other concerns feel free to email me at surfsiderestaurant@caribsurf.com

Cheers...
Management
New York City, New York
“Surfside for Beer and Blackened Chicken”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 9, 2013

Grab a Banks Beer and the Blackened Chicken ( sandwich or plate ) and you will quickly know that while the facilities might be a bit lacking the atmosphere is authentic and the food is excellent. Access the bar and beach from right within Holetown. The staff are very nice and happy to provide recommendations if you just can't decide.

• Visited December 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Bristol, United Kingdom
“FUN!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 8, 2013

Great atmosphere for that evening rum punch as you watch the sunset. They also play all major sport events and it's always packed for these. You can spend the whole day on the beach by the bar and get your drinks from there all day.

Visited December 2013