“bEAUTIFUL bARBADOS” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #4 of 4 Hotels in Holetown
wiltshire
“bEAUTIFUL bARBADOS”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 14, 2014

All in all a great stay, as said before staff amazing.
food plentiful, the rice and jerk chicken fantastic.

Some people moaned, ?? but it was lovely Caribbean food.(go you Spain if you want chips)

The staff are amazing and work so hard,
Great designer shopping mall 2 minutes away, Great beaches, lovely bars locally.

All in all relaxed, wonderful place to stay.

met fantastic people.

Room Tip: Garden. sea view
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
Brian C, General Manager at Discovery Bay by Rex Resorts, responded to this review, July 15, 2014
Thank you for taking the time to write this review.

I am thrilled that you had a great stay.

Another compliment on our amazing staff that I am so proud of.
Thank you very much; I will make sure that I relay it to them.
They do work hard but enjoy maintaining high, friendly standards.

Jerk Chicken and rice is a staple on the island and I am glad that you enjoyed a favourite Bajan dish. The Chef uses fresh local ingredients to add a West Indian flavour to his dishes.

Our location is one of the best on the West Coast; within walking distance to Holetown where there are banks, supermarket, shops especially the Lime Grove Lifetime Centre with all of the designer shops, a popular night club, café and luxury cinema.

It was a pleasure to have you stay at Discovery Bay by rex resorts and I look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.
Brian Carter

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (103)
Brighton, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 14, 2014

This is a fabulous value for money hotel. Go not expecting a 4/5* hotel & you won't be disappointed. The staff were all very friendly & helpful. Mr Carter makes himself known to everyone & is obviously working very hard to ensure all visitors have an enjoyable stay. Thank you Brian. Rooms were basic as expected & very clean! IMO we were on one of the best sections of beach (wide) in the vicinity. The swimming pool area is lovely with comfy loungers. We preferred to stay by the pool as some of the beach vendors were getting a bit tiresome & we didn't want to be approached every day. The staff work very hard to keep everything clean & tidy. Stanley one of the waiting staff deserves a mention. What a lovely guy. As does Cassandra.... her cocktails are the best! Ask her for a Blue Ivy! She's a talented singer too. Food was good for all inclusive. Try a burger at lunch. One of the best I've ever tasted! Fish was lovely too. Really pleased we chose this hotel. We definitely got our money's worth. A great stay in a lovely location. Don't hesitate if considering this hotel.

Stayed July 2014, traveled with friends
I am very glad that you though that we offer value for money, that is one of our main objectives.

I will pass on you kind compliments to the staff who always strive to give helpful and friendly service.

The hotel is one of the more mature on the island buy we try to keep" her" in the best condition possible. Our housekeeper will be thrilled you thought that the rooms are very clean.

After the beach refurbishment programme last year the beach in front of the hotel has drastically improved. It is now wide and sandy so that no one feels cramped.

The pool deck was also upgraded lat year. The entire area was tiled and new luxury padded sun loungers and day beds were added to make the area extremely comfortable.

I apologize for your experience with the beach vendors some do get persistent but unfortunately all beaches are public and are controlled by the Governments Beach Rangers. I will however relate your experience to the Supervisor of the Beach Rangers because I have had this comment before.

The team does work hard to maintain the standards; I will pass on your comments to Stanley, who certainly is one of our stars. Cassandra knows her way around a bar and can make some amazing cocktails.

I will let the Chef know that you enjoyed his burgers and fish. In the Caribbean we are very fortunate to have a good variety of fresh local fish.

Thank you so much for taking the time to write this review and I look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 14, 2014

First of all I have to say I was here on a work trip to boost our knowledge of Barbados and what each part of the island has to offer.
I Stayed in Discovery bay for the first two nights of our trip , and have to say having visited many hotels over the years with in my work capacity, I have never experienced such a warm welcome from the front of house staff to the general Manager Brian .

They seem to make it their overall purpose of exceeding your wishes, food was varied and generous in portion size, the pool are could easily fit in a 5* resort, beach great and being improved from August of this year .

The bathrooms were a little tired but I have been informed will be modernised while the hotel closed during the beach improvements .

All in if you want a small friendly property , with Excellent and friendly customer service in a good location , you cant go wrong with Discovery Bay.

I hope to return soon to the stunning and friendly island of Barbados

Room Tip: beach front rooms well worth the supplement for the view
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled on business
It was a great honour to have Discovery Bay by rex resorts included in your work trip.

We were very pleased that you could experience first hand what the hotel offers to its guests.
Thank you for your kind comments about the warm welcome, we try and make everyone feel special. And also exceed their expectations, so that they have the desire to return.

We use fresh local produce to add West Indian variety to our menus.

The pool area received a major overhaul last year. The entire pool deck was retiled and complimented with luxury padded sun loungers and day beds which have transformed the area into a comfort zone.

Some of the bathrooms are looking a bit tired, so this year during closure they will be retiled.

Thank you for your kind comments on the excellent and friendly customer service which I will pass on to the team.

Our location is ideal; close to banks, supermarkets, shops and many bars and restaurants. The bus stops are directly outside the hotel making it easy to travel to Bridgetown the main shopping area or Speightstown which is a historical town in the North of the island.

Hopefully I will have the pleasure of welcoming you back in the near future as a tourist with no work schedule to be bound to.
North Queensferry, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 12, 2014

Just returned from a week at Discovery Bay to celebrate my birthday. Ok, so the rooms are due a bit of an uplift, who spends all that long in the room?? Aparently the hotel is getting a bit of an overhaul in October. The food was lovely, the drinks were good (maybe a couple of the male bar staff need a wee course on cocktail making). Over all, we couldn't have asked for a better experience and a more relaxing holiday. Everyone, from Malcolm the pool guy, to Brian the General Manager were so welcoming and so very attentive to us. The bar staff and the restaurant staff could not do enough to make us feel special and important to them. All in all, this was a very well appointed hotel with lovely staff who made us feel like we were family. The hotel is in an area which is perfectly situated to allow you benefit from the fantastic beach or gain easy access to the fantastic town and the shops etc. I would like to offer a genuine thanks to everyone at Discovery Bay for all of your help and want to say that we are looking forward to seeing you all again very soon. If you want 5 star luxury go to the Sand Lane Resort and pay a fortune but if you want to feel great about your holiday, go to Discovery Bay and you wont be disappointed.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
Thank you very much for taking the time to write this review and I am glad that we could be a part of your birthday celebration.

The bathrooms are being fitted with new tiles during closure this year to give them a fresh look.

I am very pleased that you enjoyed the food and drinks and had a wonderful relaxing holiday.

It is very ratifying when our guests have such positive comments on the team; it is our commitment to make everyone feel at home and special. I am glad that we have succeeded on this occasion.

Discovery Bay is perfectly located in the middle of St. James. The beach which was refurbished last year is one of the biggest on the West coast and is excellent for watching the fantastic sunsets. The hotel is also with-in walking distance to banks, supermarkets lots of shops, bars and restaurants.

It was a great pleasure meeting you and having you stay with us and I can’t wait to welcome you back to the “family” on your next trip.

Essex, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 11, 2014

We stayed at the Rex Discovery Bay for 2 weeks at the end of June and had a lovely relaxing holiday. OK, the rooms are a bit run down and in need of a refurb but who spends a lot of time in their room anyway - as long as it was clean (and it was) and the AC worked, that was fine with us. Our first week was very quiet even for the time of year and as a result we had table service instead of a buffet. The food was good but even if you didn't want anything on the menu, the staff were more than happy to cook you something else.

There are plenty of restaurants around the hotel so it is no problem to eat out if you wish to - I admit we were too lazy to do so but other people did and reported that the food was really good. It is no problem to get around, either on buses or on tours and the locals are extremely friendly. It felt completely safe out and about. We spent a day going round the island on Ted's tours which can be booked through reception and had a great day. Definitely worth the money.

The beach was absolutely fine although we understand there is more work to be done later in the year, The water was clear and turquoise - and very warm. Also the beds around the pool are very comfortable - great for an afternoon nap after lunch!

The best thing about the hotel is the staff - they are absolutely brilliant and you wouldn't find better in a 5 star hotel. We met some great people - thank you all for your company!

• Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
I was a pleasure having you stay at Discovery Bay by rex resort in June.

Your comments about the rooms are noted. This year we will be tiling the bathroom to give them an uplift.

We have experienced some very quiet days in June which resulted in Table d’hôte menus being offered instead of buffet style meals. I am very pleased that you enjoyed the food; the chefs are very flexible and try to please the various palates; any special dietary requirements such as gluten free, vegan, non dairy and hah al they have had experience preparing.

The beach was refurbished last year with a wonderful result; In front of the hotel is one of the largest beaches on the West coast. This year the work being conducted is on the “Fluidizer” which will pump clean sea water into the creek which should result in less stagnant water.

The pool deck was up graded as well last year with the addition of the luxury padded sun loungers and very comfortable day beds which has made this area extremely popular.

I am very pleased that you thought that the staff were absolutely brilliant; they certainly try their best and continue to receive excellent comments which I always share with them.

Thank you very much for staying with us and I certainly hope that I will have the pleasure of welcoming you back in the near future.
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 10, 2014

We stayed at the. Discovery bay hotel for 10 days at the end of June.
I have to say you get what you pay for. We were on an all inclusive package, but went out for meals nearly every day, as we found the food to be quite bland and boring.
The difference between room only and only was only £20 a head per day, so just having breakfast and having drinks at the bar the £20 were more than covered.
The swimming pool area is lovely and the beach is incredible.
We went on a trip to swim with the turtles and the tropical fish with a guy called Buju (following a recommendation on trip advisor), look for him at the beach, he is normally by the beach bar called Surf Side, he is lovely, he serves rum punch and other drinks on board, he takes you to see all the celebrities houses... He is really cool, and we are keeping in touch with him.
We also went on an island tour with Ted's tours (booked from the hotel reception), Ted is really nice, he takes you around the island on his air con bus and tells you everything you need to know, so worth it for the price! Rum punch included too!
The hotel staff are all really lovely, especially Alison who is always smiling and is so attentive, Jeremy, Damian and Cassandra at the bar are had our favourite drink ready for us, and the reception girls are really sweet and helpful.

We can't wait until next year to go back!

Thank you Mr.Carter and team for being so lovely and making our holiday unforgettable.
Mr. Porter and MIss Hannah (room 30).

• Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
Thank you very much for taking the time to write this review.

I am very disappointed that you found the food to be bland and boring. We use fresh local produce to add a Caribbean flair to our dishes. However I will review the menus with the kitchen team.

The pool area was upgraded last year. The entire deck was tiled, new luxury sun loungers and day beds were added; which have been extremely popular. The new beach bar and restaurant are all incorporated into the pool area so you don’t have to go far for a drink or a meal.

The beach was refurbished by the Government last year as well which has resulted in a lovely, large sandy beach right in front of the hotel.
Our location in Holetown is ideal, close to shops, supermarket, banks and many bars and restaurants.

Thank you for your kind comments about our lovely staff who enjoys providing friendly efficient service- with a smile-. I will extend your kind sentiments to Allison, Jeremy, Damian, Cassandra and the Receptionists.

It was lovely meeting you and I look forward to welcoming you back next year.

Littlehampton, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2014

We stayed at this hotel for a week at the end of June and found it poor in some areas and excellent in others. The room we were first allocated has a bathroom with mildew on the walls, a worn bath and generally grotty fittings. When we told the GM the next morning he gave us a complimentary upgrade to a seaview room which was much better and had an amazing view from the balcony. Three days later our air conditioning started leaking and sending out sparks which resulted in us having to pack up and move rooms again - 3 rooms in one week! The hotel staff are lovely - really helpful and friendly and a joy to deal with - however we do feel that the General Manager needs to mix more with the guests and be a more visible presence. Food was not bad for an all inclusive package - however when we first arrived we were being served at table due apparently to the low occupancy, but as the week progressed and the guest numbers increased, the food moved to buffet style service and the standard of food deteriorated. The hotel itself is tired and needs some refurbishing (especially the bathrooms!) but the plantation style buildings are charming and the pool and beach areas are lovely.If you can, get the hotel to book you on boat trip where you can snorkel and swim with turtles (Team Baywatch are great for this) - its an amazing experience.

Room Tip: Beachfront rooms are more expensive but well worth it!
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
Brian C, General Manager at Discovery Bay by Rex Resorts, responded to this review, July 10, 2014
Thank you for taking the time to write this review.

I am extremely disappointed that the Garden View room that you were in for your first night did not meet your expectations. During closure this year the short comings in this bath room will be rectified. All of the other bathrooms have been examined and will also have any deficiencies remedied.

I am very glad that the complimentary upgrade to a Beach Front room was to your satisfaction. These rooms could not be any closer to the beach and offer amazing sunsets.

Although the air –conditioners are serviced, operational issues can occur unexpectedly and regretfully you experienced this for which I apologize. Unfortunately there was no other option but to offer another room with a functioning air-conditioner.

Thank you for your kind compliments about our friendly and helpful team. I regret that you thought that I was not more visible, I will bare this in mind for the future.

As you have pointed out, a daily table d’hôte is served when the occupancy is low. The Chef tries to ensure quality and varied dishes are offered using fresh local ingredients.
When the occupancy increases then buffet meals are offered.
I am sorry that you thought that when these were introduced the quality of food deteriorated. I will discuss this with our culinary team and modify where necessary.

Thank you for your comments on the colonial plantation style buildings which are very Caribbean.

The pool deck was upgraded last year with new tiles, umbrellas and luxury padded sun loungers and day beds which has made this area very comfortable.

The Government also refurbished the beach which is now one of the largest on the West coast.

I apologize for the inconveniences that you encounted, but hopefully I will have the opportunity to welcome you back to Discovery Bay by rex resorts in the near future.

Brian Carter

Been to Discovery Bay by Rex Resorts? Share your experiences!