Mango Bay Hotel – Holetown, Barbados
My wife and I have just returned from Mango Bay Hotel in Barbados, this was our first visit to the island. We arrived at the hotel in the early afternoon and received a warm and cheerful greeting from the receptionist on duty.
A welcoming cocktail helped in the completion of the check-in procedure, a short guided tour of the hotel and its amenities followed - a warm and pleasant introduction to our holiday.
We had upgraded our room and this proved to be an excellent decision, the room was spacious and comfortable, getting the balance of the air-conditioning proved a little tricky (not sure that the thermostat was working correctly) the room overlooked the beach and sea, with its own verandah housing a couple of reclining chairs.
Fresh beach towels were provided daily on an exchange basis.
The bathroom was adequate housing a, toilet washbasin and a combined bath/shower, the complimentary toiletries being refreshed daily. Toweling provided was adequate but could have been improved with the addition of a couple more towels, also, on a couple of occasions housekeeping failed to clean the room until very late in the afternoon.
The hotel had only the one restaurant, however in general the food provided was excellent with a good choice of menu – a couple of minor complaints,
1) You were required to book your dining times for lunch and also for dinner, I would have preferred to have the flexibility of choice.
2) Service was in general slow, and the staff generally (with one or two exceptions) gave the impression of being inconvenienced by your presence.
3) Breakfast menu was disappointing in choices of fresh fruit - for a Caribbean Island I would have expected a greater selection.
The hotel has been built on a very compact site, as a result the surround to the pool is a little limited and the number of sunbed/loungers that can be accommodated is restricted, the beach like all beaches in Barbados is public, and the hotel does well in providing sun loungers/umbrellas for all guests. It would have been improved if they could also have provided small tables – you do need somewhere to park your Rum Punch!
Of course the usual problem of people reserving sun loungers and then disappearing for a number of hours was encountered, the hotel made a lot of noise to discourage this – but no action followed.
Sunday – Glass bottomed boat, a complimentary trip - not great but it passed some time, after a while of seeing nothing it’s amazing how enthralled you can be on seeing a fish go past
On the Tuesday we went on the complimentary catamaran trip, swimming with the turtles, it was excellent a truly fabulous experience, on our return we immediately booked for the same trip on the Thursday, this too lived up to our expectations.
Watersports were complimentary and included water-skiing – an activity often excluded from other resorts, and the usual Hobie Cats.
The pedalos and surf canoes just seemed a little bit too energetic.
Cabaret style entertainment is provided on most nights – excellent.
On completion of the hotels survey at the end of our week we said that we would not return, on reflection that’s incorrect!
Even though there were very minor irritants, the overall impression of this hotel, staff and facilities was very, very good, if not quite excellent!
We would be very happy to go back again.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Mango Bay Barbados is ideal for those seeking the convenience of an ALL-INCLUSIVE beach vacation combined with the personal and friendly service of a small resort. It enjoys a sought-after beachfront setting in St. James, on the famous west coast of Barbados.There are restaurants, bars, boutiques and cinema just steps away from Mango Bay in lively Holetown, including the brand new, upscale, LIMEGROVE LIFESTYLE CENTRE across the road from the resort. Mango Bay is approximately a 45 minute drive from the airport, and a 25-minute drive south of the hotel takes you to the capital Bridgetown. Mango Bay definitely gives you added value for an all inclusive hotel- included is a complimentary two-hour catamaran cruise to see the turtles, waterskiing & a glass bottom boat ride. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Booking.com, Tingo, Caribbean Online Mgt Corp., Travelocity, BookingOdigeoWL, Hotels.com, Priceline and Venere so you can book your Mango Bay All Inclusive reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Mango Bay Hotel Holetown
- Mango Bay Barbados
- Mango Bay Saint James
- Barbados Bay Mango
- Mango Bay Hotel Barbados
- Mango Bay All Inclusive Barbados/Holetown