“I suggest you go elsewhere if you can...” 2 of 5 stars
Review of The Albany

You added The Albany to your Saves list
The Albany
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   Corner Toorak Road and Millswyn Street | South Yarra, Yarra, Victoria 3141, Australia   |
Ranked #4 of 9 Hotels in Yarra
Devonport, Australia
“I suggest you go elsewhere if you can...”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 16, 2012

I stayed here a few years ago, and wasn't all that impressed then, but as I was travelling with dogs, had limited options in Melbourne.

The rooms have really deteriorated since the last time I stayed, and you can still hear people in the other rooms. Listening to someone 'pee' isn't very pleasant to say the least.

I had to pay extra for a pet friendly room, but on arrival, my dogs noses went straight to the floor which means it hadn't been cleaned properly. Overall the room felt grubby, and was smelly. I had to open the door to let air circulate, but there was still an odour.

The room was cramped and very small, although the bed was reasonably comfortable. The shower was difficult to get into as it was over a bath, but also in an alcove.

This hotel could be so much more with a little effort and if it was clean.

Room Tip: Can't help here. Having stayed twice and being able to hear people in other rooms. Suggest you t...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled solo
Ivan Z, General Manager at The Albany, responded to this review, October 21, 2012
Dear Fairywings2507

Thank you for taking the time to write a review on your recent stay at The Albany.

I take all feedback we receive extremely seriously and see it as a fantastic opportunity to improve our facilities and services.

I would like to apologise for any discomfort you experienced whilst staying in our pet friendly rooms, after reading your review we have invested in a steam mop for all our pet friendly rooms in order to eliminate any previous pet smells which a normal mop may leave behind.

Should you be travelling to Melbourne again in the future, please do not hesitate to contact me directly and i will ensure a quiter room at the best rate.

Warm regards

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (71)
New Zealand
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 12, 2012

Very different from the pictures - definitely would suggest that you look elsewhere. We stayed for 20 mins in a room (where they forgot to change the sheets - the reception girls had a discussion about this and thought I couldnt hear their decision to leave them till tomorrow - they will never know).
The room was cramped, tiny and completely bare aside from a single lamp and no curtains. No rock star print or theme anywhere to be seen and a nice toilet with poo in it from the previous guest. We left within 20 mins and moved several hundred metres away to The Blackman Hotel, only $20 more per night and yet 5Star accommodation. Dont risk it, not worth the time or the expense, id rather pay marginally more and have somewhere clean to sleep.

Room Tip: Go to the Blackman Hotel - definitely a better option
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
Ivan Z, General Manager at The Albany, responded to this review, October 15, 2012
Dear Rhys B

Thank you for taking the time to write a review on The Albany.

It was a pleasure to discuss with you your experience here and I have address the issues you have raised with me over the phone with our team.

I hope to see you again in the future.

5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 1, 2012 via mobile

I stayed in this hotel for 7 nights, the staff couldn't do enough for you. I was upgraded to a modern room with modern amenities - home from home, would definitely go back... small Pool on roof and sun terrace - ideal location, 15 minute walk into Melbourne centre, not far from the beach :):):)

Stayed March 2012
Ivan Z, General Manager at The Albany, responded to this review, October 4, 2012
Dear VickivGardner,

Thank you for taking the time to write such lovely feedback on your recent stay at The Albany.

We are delighted to have you stay with us and thrilled that we have been able to offer you a complimentary upgrade. We are absolutely overjoyed that you have rated our hotel as a “Fab Place” and look forward to welcoming you again in the near future.

Warmest Regards,
Swan Hill, Australia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 23, 2012

I stayed at this hotel in June 2012 before it changed hands to 8 Hotels. Before it changed hands I was delightfully surprised to feel at home with all the Rolling Stones shots on the wall. Back then, I got this amazing room with a spa, an extra lounge room and a mini bar. it was awesome. I paid $125 a night for three nights. Then I booked in again for the same price recently, Sept 21, and was totally let down by a room at the end of an exterior corridor, paper thin walls, no chairs, no soap, bad chemical spray odour, no Stones PIctures anymore because 8 Hotels had taken over. From what I can see 8 Hotels are a very grey mob of people. I can go on, but I won't bother. Will not be staying at 8 Hotels franchise anymore, definitely no Green sense there.

Room Tip: ask for room 88 and don't pay more than $150
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Ivan Z, General Manager at The Albany, responded to this review, September 30, 2012
Dear 22loumac

Thanks for your feedback, I am always particularly keen to hear feedback from guests when we begin managing new properties.

8Hotels took over the management of The Albany Hotel in June 2012. We were drawn to the hotel’s an individual style, incredible character and personality – things you’ll find throughout all of our hotels. We have identified a number of improvements we can make to the business, and we are working very hard to achieve these changes as quickly as possible.

I am sorry you were disappointed by the lack of the stones pictures however these were a personal collection from the previous owners and due to the personal attachment with the pictures have chosen to take them with them.

I would like to appoligise for the issue you have had with housekeeping and this is something I have addressed with the housekeeping manager and the team.

Brisbane
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 18, 2012

This would be my 3rd stay at the Albany and I can honestly say each stay has been a pleasure. I usually stay in the Mansion Suites which are gorgeous. They are extremely spacious with a comfortable bed - and my favourite a fireplace (for show) & a chandelier! I have stayed in other rooms and all have been clean, cosy and perfect for what I need - I have even brought my dog with me on one occasion as they are Pet Friendly! The staff are extremely friendly and very helpful when it comes to general info or recommendations. Quirky rooms, great rates and friendly staff - what more could you ask for?

Room Tip: Always handy to call the hotel directly, the staff are very knowledgeable and can assist with choosi...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
Ivan Z, General Manager at The Albany, responded to this review, September 19, 2012
Dear AdventureGirl713,

It is always a pleasure to hear that our guests have enjoyed their stay at the Albany. We are thrilled to hear that you stay with us on your trips to Melbourne and are satisfied with the facilties we offer here.

We look forward to welcoming your friendly faceb back on your next trip down to Melbourne as we always enjoy welcoming back our loyal guests.

Ivan Zulficar
Melbourne
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 15, 2012

I have stayed at this hotel many times over the past 6 years and have always found it comfortable, convenient and excellent value for money. I recently stayed for a three week period and loved the friendly staff and how much they helped make the stay what we wanted. It is in a quiet area and very close to the CBD by tram, taxi or even walking. It has a somewhat "historic" or "period" theme to it and that mtaches the more sedate neighbourhood. Great place to recover from the party the night before. The rooms were comfy and the atmosphere is like a family. Will be back!

• Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
Ivan Z, Front Office Manager at The Albany, responded to this review, September 19, 2012
Dear Mike W,

We would like to thank you for your feedback on your recent and past stays at the Albany. We are thrilled to hear that your experience has been pleasurable, warming and enjoyable as those are the things the team strive to achieve. Service is our number one goal and we always take pleasure in ensuring the guest stay is satisfying as their experience has exceeded beyond their expectations.

We love seeing familiar faces and are looking forward to welcoming you back to your ‘Home away from Home’.

Angelica
Montreal
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 5, 2012

I have stayed at a few 8 hotels properties and this is certainly is a quirky place. Don't expect 5 star however it is a clean fun place and staff are great. The area is in a quiet street with a short walk to chaple st which has amazing shopping!!

• Stayed August 2012
Dear Stylish69,

We thank you for your feedback from your stay at the Albany and are glad you had a pleasurable experience. The 8 Hotels collection was drawn to the incredible character and individual style and personality of the Albany and are currently working on ways to improve this property.

We are happy to hear of loyal guests staying at our different properties and are always opened armed to familiar faces. Should you be travelling to Melbourne again in the future, please do not hesitate to contact us directly. Both myself and the team love to look after our return guests. Similarly, if you are looking to travel to other locations throughout Australia, Bali or Paris and would like me to make enquiries at our sister properties on your behalf, I will be more than happy to do so.

Ivan Zulficar

Been to The Albany? Share your experiences!