“Awesome beach getaway...spectacular” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #3 of 12 Hotels in West Bay
Miami, FL
“Awesome beach getaway...spectacular”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2009

I recently travelled to Roatan as a result of much research and positive reviews from the many on TripAdvisor. I travelled with my wife (5 months pregnant) and 6 year old son and stayed from July 12-19. I had to make sure I was travelling somewhere accomadating and secure. My selection could have not been for a better place!!!

The resort has all the amenities you could ask for with a well equipped kitchen, clean bathroom, and roomy bedroom. It is the best resort on West Bay hands down. The island suffers from power losses, but the resort has a magnificent system to ensure you stay comfortable. The beds they supply are very firm and may take some time to get used to. After a day of activities the bed is perfect for a good nights rest.

Although we initially encountered a bit of a roach problem on the first rental, once brought to their attention they helped locate us to another room. This was not as smooth as I would have expected, since they wanted to lay down foggers while we were staying in the room. We had to explain our situation with my wife being pregnant and with not more of an issue they located us to another room. This leads me to the issue of service at the resort. Many of the staff really try, especially the staff at the palapa. The issue tends to be the front office, where they tend to be very calous with your requests. I believe this is not that big of an issue, but there definitely is a need to train them in how to better serve their guests. We worked around the few issues that we encountered and with patience persevered.

The resort has the finest beach out in front and the beach staff gladly help with any needs or help you need with umbrellas/chairs. The snorkeling out front is awesome. The beach tends to take on cruise ship passengers on Wednesday and Friday. The crowd on Wednesday is heavier, so plan around them. I enjoy people watching, so it was fine with the family and the resort does a good job keeping the cruisers off the property so as not to interfere with your stay.

The food at the resort is very good. Try the lobster, which suprisingly is provided with a large portion. Their cheeseburgers are very good as well, and moderately priced. Their breakfast was simple and priced at $6.50, which is normal. I did not find the prices to be exorbitant. We also ate at Celeste down the beach and a block over. Her grouper baladas were excellent and priced very reasonable ($7). We also ate at Il Pomodoro (pizza) and loved it. You may want to try them on Monday, when they offer 2 for 1 pizzas. We tried Bites on the Beach and thought it was okay, maybe I had the wrong plate. The Argentinian Grill in West End was very good and priced very well. Infinity Bay provides a water taxi (their own boat), which is very comfortable and will even pick you up late at West End. The ride costs $3 per person and they do not charge for young children. I also located a local named Ronald that took our family snorkeling. If interested please PM me and I can provide you his contact information. He works with small groups and guides you to great locations to snorkel with the family. We were able to see the dolphin show from the water as well right outside of Anthony's Key.

I dove with Bananarama during my stay and loved this operation. I left a seperate review for them, but they are a well regarded operation in West Bay.

Overall a wonderful resort and beach for the family. Can not recommend them enough. The resort continues to grow with the expansion of a restaurant, gym, and conference center. So this is a place you can keep coming back to, as I definitely will. The island is also very special with a very good down to earth feel.

I hope this review was informative and makes you not want to think twice about heading down to Infinity Bay for a relaxing vacation, like I just did.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (345)
Houston, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 18, 2009

My wife and I traveled here with our 2 teenaged sons and our 1 year old daughter. The resort was very beautiful and had something for everyone. The beach water in front of the resort is very calm, which was perfect for the baby to play in without large waves knocking her down. The VERY LARGE pool had a deeper section for swimming and quite a large shallow part that our 1 year old could walk around in without the water level rising above her chest (she loved being able to move about on her own).

The snorkeling was amazing, and very easy to do every day as the reef starts about 30 yards offshore and has amazing coral formations and a wide variety of sea life (we saw sea turtles, lobsters, sea slugs and a wide variety of fish including flounder, grouper, Barracuda, Parrot fish and many other colorful varieties). This reef consists of numerous channels and drops and is broken up by a couple of sand bars (often in 30-40 foot deep waters) between 2-3 sections of corral reef as you go farther off shore. About 80-100 yards offshore, there is a long corral wall that drops straight down from about 40 feet to about 120 feet and then slopes gradually to even greater depths (there were a lot of scuba divers going out right from the beach). This was perfect for the boys as they could go right out whenever they wanted to without hopping on a boat and paying to snorkel.

We also spent time at nearby Gumbalimba park (Zip lining, playing with the monkeys and Macaws, watching all sorts of Iguanas and Monkey La La's). The park is a 15 min walk from the resort or a 2-3 minute taxi boat ride and taxi boats were always available at the dock.

West Bay is very laid back and does not have a big party scene, although the resort bar is open until 11 each night and there are several other resort bars all along the beach in West Bay, often with live music. If you want to party it up, West End is a short taxi ride or a 5 min taxi boat ride away and has many night clubs and bars that stay open until 2 or 3 am.

The resort itself is very beautiful, and is always kept clean and manicured. The rooms are nice and the 2 bedroom we stayed in had 2 balconies with views of the pool and ocean. The cleaning staff was EXCELLENT and often did more cleaning than we expected (for example throwing our dirty clothes in our room's washing machine for us). The rest of the staff were very friendly and the bar restaurant staff were fairly expedient (keep in mind that Roatan is on "Island Time" as is much of the Caribbean, and what some people consider slow service is often just the way things run on the island). Drinks and meals were pretty cheap in comparison to some places we've gone in the Caribbean. Beer was $2.25 ($1.50 during happy hour), many rum drinks were $3 and some of the fancier drinks were $6-$7. You could eat a large lobster dinner for $25 and most other entrees ranged from $8-$17.

One thing to keep in mind is that Wed and Fri are cruise ship days and the beach can get quite crowded (they arrive about noon and leave about 4). It wasn't too inconvenient though because the resort asks guests to wear an arm band and does not allow cruisers to use the pool or their beach chairs. It didn't really bother us too much, except that it was a little difficult to find a spot at lunch. If the seating area is full when you want to eat I would simply recommend eating at one of the little restaurants off the beach that didn't seem crowded at all (1 or 2 min walk from the resort).

Overall we really enjoyed our trip to Infinity Bay and would love to come back and stay here again.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled with family
Austin, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 12, 2009

I stayed there for a week in May and it was a great adventure. Its was during the slow season so a little slow around the beaches but still a great time. The diving is highly recommended. You won't regret it. Do your online at home and just dive once you get there. The Infinity Bay is a great place. The infinity pool and pool bar are perfect. A+ all around.

Stayed May 2009, traveled with friends
Atlanta, Georgia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 21, 2009

Roatan, Honduras June 6-20, 2009

Accomodations:
Infinity Bay condos. This is a beautiful condominium resort sitting on the best part of West Bay Beach. It has a HUGE pool but the temperature of the ocean is much more refreshing than the pool at this time of year. The pool feels like bath water! The condos are beautiful inside with a full kitchen, stainless steel appliances (including a fridge with filtered water and ice in the door)! The bedroom of the 1-bedroom unit has a HUGE king size bed. It is pretty firm but we slept great on it! The couch in the living area also makes out into a bed. There is no dining table in the 1 bedroom and we kind of miss that but there are 3 bar stools up at the counter and a nice table out on the balcony. The bathroom has a nice open, tile shower. There is a washer and dryer so you can pack even lighter! There is a nice TV in the living area and wireless (once in a while) or a wired connection for your computer. The beach next to Infinity Bay is where the people off the cruise ship come for the day and it can get a bit more crowded on the days the boats are in but nothing that caused us any trouble. On Friday, the boat was in early but everyone was off the beach by noon. We were diving on the other day the boat was in, I think it was Wednesday. The resort does a good job of keeping the beach chairs resort amenities for resort guests only and if you have any trouble just let one of the staff know. It was kind of fun having the extra people around for a bit - just more people watching.

The reef (Tabyana) just in front of the resort is PERFECT for snorkeling and very large so you can spend days exploring it! On the days we didn't dive, we would snorkel and loved this as well. They do not rent tanks for shore diving on the reef but usually there is at least one boat with divers somewhere out there! If you don't have your own snokeling equipment, you can rent it all over West Bay beach.

Don't try to order room service if it is raining :) We found this to be pretty funny but we called in to order 2 burgers for dinner since it was raining and were told that they didn't have umbrellas and couldn't offer room service in the rain??? So, we walked in the rain to Il Pomodoro and the pizza special!!! Cheaper than burgers at the resort and better AND it was a fun walk but we got a few extra sand flea bites!

Meals:
The Palapa Bar at Infinity Bay serves breakfast, lunch and dinner out under the palm trees (or you can have room service) and everything we've ordered has been wonderful, however, we are cooking our own meals in a lot well as meals can get quite expensive and we are here for 2 weeks. The first day we had lunch at the Palapa Bar, shrimp spaghetti and a fish sandwich plus chips and salsa, 3 coronas and one pina colada and it was $45!! We had lunch another day and both had the cheddar cheese burger and diet cokes and it was about $20 and VERY good burgers! There is a small deli/restaurant/market, Mangiamo, that you can walk to just behind the resort to get some basic supplies and save yourself some money for drinks and meals if you want. The basic mixed drinks at the bar are $5 but they are really good and a nice, large size (or make them in your condo for about 1/2 that or less with liquor and mixers from the store)! Beers are $3.50 for imports and you can buy them for about $1 each at the store (Corona)! We've enjoyed buying fresh vegetables and fruit in West End and making all kinds of things to eat with sandwiches, chips and pastas. We have found some items are cheaper in West End (liquor) and that is the only place you can get the fresh veggies and fruit off the trucks (unless you catch a truck that comes to Mangiamo - we never saw it). You can eat in West End cheaper than in West Bay but the water taxi is $2.50 - $3 per person each way or a regular taxi is $10 each way.

We ate at a small shack in the middle of West End between dives and enjoyed Baleadas (grilled flour tortillas with your choice of filling - beans, cheese, chicken or beef) for about $1.50 each - 2 is plenty.

We enjoyed lunch at The Lighthouse Restaurant in West End, the shrimp basket and the fish and chips were excellent. We had all that, plus beans and tortillas for an appetizer and 4 teas for about $30. We also enjoyed lunch at a new mexican restaurant called Blue Oceanic I believe, very near the Baptist church in West End. We both had pork chimichangas and a diet coke and it was about $12.

Back at West Bay, we had dinner one night at Bite on the Beach, on the end end of West Bay nearest West End. The calamari was very good! I had shrimp in a peanut sauce that was good but not what I expected - VERY peanut buttery! It came with rice and veggies. Steve had spicy grilled lobster, served with mashed potatoes and veggies. We only had water to drink and it was about $40 and a beautiful view of the sunset. They are closed on Sunday and Monday!

IL Pomodoro in West Bay is really good and they have some great specials almost everyday of the week! It is actually an italian restaurant but on Saturday we had fajitas for 2 (chicken and beef) special, 2 Monkey lalas (a really yummy drink) and a diet coke and it was $22 with tax and tip included! We even had plenty to bring back for a lunch! It is located a couple of blocks back from the beach, near Paradise Beach resort - maybe a 3 or 4 minute walk from Infinity Bay. There is another little market back there where you can get some basic supplies for eating and drinking! We ate dinner here on Monday night as well! Had the buy 1 get 1 pizza special and it was AWESOME and was plenty to bring back for another meal! It was $20 for 2 pizzas and 2 cokes. We had the Hawaiian and the one with just tomatoes and garlic oil and they were both excellent! We had 2 for 1 pasta on Thursday night. We both had the seafood pasta with red sauce. The red sauce is sweeter than we prefer but the seafood was very good and the pasta cooked perfectly. We both at and had waters for $20 - you can't beat the specials here. Overall, our favorite meal there was the pizza so if you can only eat there one night, go on Monday night for the 2 for 1 pizzas!

Thai Island in West End, just north of the water taxi pier was a great dinner! We ordered the summer rolls and they were AWESOME!!! I had pad thai with shrimp, a big plate and VERY good! Hubby had sweet and sour chicken, really good but not the thick sweet and sour sauce we are used to at home! He had 2 beers and I had a coke and it was $45. If you are hungry for some Thai food, I would recommend this one!

In West End there is a great spot for a cool treat called Cream of the Trop! It is a little hard to see but it is behind Rocket's Hamburgers in a really neat little shop. There is a nice little pool (just for decor) outside the shops but it looks really tropical! Anyway, we had fruit crepes with gelato and it was to die for!! They are $4 each and soooooo worth it! You can pick the fruit in your crepe and the flavor of gelato you prefer.

The Noodle Shack in West End (just across from Foster's Bar and Grill) was an excellent noodle craving fix! You choose your pasta, meat and sauce - asian style choices. We chose the udon noodles, shrimp and the ginger sesame sauce. It was very yummy!!! We asked for medium spice and it was very spicy, our noses were running but the flavor was awesome! It is a bit pricey but you get a good portion of food. It was $22 with 2 sodas and the 2 noodle bowls.

Diving:
We dove with West End Divers again. A great dive operation but you do have to get yourself there by water taxi or taxi each day. If you dive more than 4 days, the dives are $30 and if you dive that much, they will also include gear rental if you do not own your own gear. They will store your gear at the shop and have it set up on the boat when you arrive for your dives. They take out small groups - 6 or less usually and have a schedule on the board of the planned dive sites. They will also try to accomodate any special site requests you have. We are not picky and just love seeing everything we can but if they took us to the same spot everyday, it wouldn't make a difference to us!

The downside of Roatan if there is one! The sand flea bites!! You don't see them and you don't feel the bites but you see the red spots that turn into red itchy bumps and they DO itch!!! Some people just get covered with them and some don't get bit, it just depends on your flavor I guess! I have lots of bites and hubby has only a couple so I guess I'm the preferred flavor of the week! I tried using some repellent but it doesn't seem to make a difference. There are a few flies and I've seen a couple of mosquitos but it's the things I don't see that are making me itch! Deet and Coconut Oil is supposed to help and supposedly that is what the locals use. Also we hear the cactus juice helps. We didn't find this out until too late but I would be happy to try it! If you get bit, the Ice with aloe seems to help calm the itching, along with some benedryl and hydrocortisone cream. Try to prevent rather than treat though!!!

Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 9, 2009

The whole place is awesome. The swimming pool, the room, the beach, the awesome snorkeling within a few steps from your room. Everything riight at your fingertips. We snorkeled, dove, kayaked, rode horses, danced to Reggae music and had wonderful food. Most beautiful place on the Island and it is a beautiful Island. We were on a senior trip . This place has something for everyone . It is huge. All ages will love it
Cona

• Stayed June 2009, traveled on business
new york
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 4, 2009

while the beach is absolutely beautiful and isolated, we will not stay there again based on the issues we faced below:
1) when we first arrived we were told our room wasn't ready while the other guests' rooms were available
2) the sheets were not changed on a daily basis and more than once we found bug blood on the sheets
3) there was no hair dryer in the room and when we asked for one, it took over an hour to come; we didn't try to use it until 2 days later and it didn't work so we called the front desk - the woman told my fiance that if you ruin it you have to pay for it -
4) the telephone lines were down and we wanted to rent a car but the front desk person didnt want to use her cell phone to call the rental car company because management wouldn't reimburse her for the minutes used. her solution was to have us take the shuttle to the aiport--which would have taken all day.
5) on our last day, the water didn't work so we were unable to brush our teeth, shower, use the restroom, etc. we had a 12 hour journey to our final destination and we were miserable because we were not able to do the basic neccessities
6) the staff was rude, not helpful and often times stared at us

we even addressed these issues management and didn't receive a response! also, the spa isn't built yet and there is no hotel lobby - the staff was working from a hotel room!

• Stayed May 2009, traveled as a couple
indy
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 31, 2009

The beach on West Bay is the finest beach in Roatan. There is pristine white sand, with abundant coral right off the beach which is great for snorkeling. The reef wall is a short swim away.

The beach has been sprayed for insects. We had no problems with No-see-ums, a common problem for Roatan in remote areas. Our room was well maintained, clean and the service staff was friendly.

Internet access was provided, although we did not use it.

The pool side restaurant / bar served good food, had great service and occasional live music. We were told by other visitors that this was the best restaurant on West Bay. The staff was service oriented, yet friendly and personable. We felt like good friends with the staff by the end of our stay.

Office personel were unable to deal with travelers checks. Do not use them. Use American dollars or credit cards instead.

The office personel were a bit disorganized.

We survived the earthquake of 2009! It was a once in a lifetime event for native residents - they had never felt such a powerful event in their lifetime, and they were genuinely concerned about the guests well being. (As well as their own families!)

Our assessment is that Infinity Bay is clearly the best full service resort in West Bay. (Remember, West Bay is at the tip of the Island - West End is "near" the end of the island.)

West Bay is quite quiet. West End has more restaurants and shops. We had dinner in West End a few times.

Recommendations ...
By all means, do an Island Tour with Hank Hynds [--]. You can arrange this via the rosort office.

We also did a sunset horseback ride with Shirkie Bodden [--]. It was a great experience. Shirkie allowed us more freedom with our horses than you will get in US trailrides. We had a lot of fun. Apply insect repellent just in case.

The Iguana Farm was a nice distraction. We took great pictures. It is for a good cause. 45 minute drive each way. 30 minute visit.

Restaurants: Gios in French Harbour (King Crab is their specialty). We were also pleased with Lighthouse in West Bay!

Dive Shop: We dove with Bananarama and we were very satisfied. It was very close to Infinity Bay, and the staff was excellent. We did a refresher course for $50 which was very beneficial. We were very satisfied with the experienced / knowlegeable dive masters and dive times. We did not try other dive shops.

In closing ...
Please Please Please
While snorkeling and diving, be careful not to contact the coral or marine life. Roatan is one of the few places left in the world with such natural splendor. Roatan welcomes tourism, but we all need to make protection of this beautiful reef a priority.

• Stayed May 2009, traveled as a couple

Been to Infinity Bay Spa and Beach Resort? Share your experiences!