“Divine Family Vacation” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #3 of 12 Hotels in West Bay
Connecticut
“Divine Family Vacation”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 11, 2009

Spent a week with hubby and two kids (8 & 11) and we couldn't have asked for a better holiday. Despite the ongoing construction, we heard very little noise and most of the work was very well concealed behind fences. Now for the details...

Our two bedroom beachfront suite was very nice with fabulous terraces to enjoy the magnificent sunsets. I would recommend requesting a room in the 10 building which provides unobstructed views of the beach. Originally we had a room in the 1 building and despite it's beachfront location, we could hardly see the beach because of the palm trees and mostly looked out on the cruise ship beach with it's hundred of plastic white loungers or the rack with the hotel's kayaks. Yucky! If that's all that's availiable, I'd go for a room overlooking the beautiful pool. The rooms were nice, although a bit too much furniture for the space and a tv in the bedrooms would have been nice. But they are done up in style. And maid service was very prompt and efficient.

The common spaces were lovely. The pool was fantastic and the area had plenty of lounges and tables, although only the tables had umbrellas so it was hard to find a bit of shade during the heat of the day. The restaurant was very good and we ended up having lunch there most days. Plenty of selections to satisfy parents and kids too. The bar was great and my husband especially liked watching the tvs. The resort was very good at loaning out snorkeling equiment so we were able to outfit everyone without too much trouble and were allowed to hold on to the gear for the entire week. While housekeeping provides new beach towels daily, there's no towel hut anywhere so it's difficult to swap out wet or sandy towels unless you find a housekeeper and ask for fresh ones.

Now for the best part - the beach. We've been all over the world and the beach here is quite possibly one of the nicest we've ever seen. I would say it compare to the water in Tahiti. The reef is right off the beach so you can just swim out anytime. And the stretch off of Infinity is the best of the best! And as for sand fleas and flies, we weren't affected one bit. Not sure if it wasn't the season or the ongoing breezes, but we didn't even have too many mosquitos. The beach chairs were comfy and they all had umbrellas in addition to beautiful palm trees. There was even an attendant who came around periodically to brush the sand off the chairs! There is beach service but we only had a waiter come around once during the entire week. The bar is only feet away so it wasn't a big deal to wander over and order a drink.

While the resort resaurant was nice, I would recommend venturing out for some meals and sightseeing. Il Pomodoro and a steak house were right next door and were a nice change of scenery. We also took the water taxi to West End several times and had great meals at the Thai restaurant and Chili Peppers. The resort does have it's own water taxi that supposedly runs till 6pm, but we found that the driver usually went home way before then and you had to buy tickets at the bar first. Usually we just stood at the end of the dock and within minutes one of the local water taxis cruised by and picked us up. And you were able to pay the driver directly. My kids loved zip lining and the jungle tour with the monkeys. Our youngest was not to keen on snorkeling so we took the glass bottom boat ride and she loved it. And both our kids loved the dolphin encounter which I think is a must do. No need to rent a car here since the resort provides transportation when needed, the West End is a water taxi ride away and many things are located right on the beach as well. The only market was almost right next door to the resort in the "mall" so we didn't need a car for that either. The mall was a great find since in addition to the market, which made great sandwiches by the way, there was also a very nice coffee shop that we frequented for breakfast.

Although we loved the resort, there is one issue that kept this from being a home run - Cruise Ship day, or days. The cruise ship's beach is located right next to the Infinity Beach and once the ship comes in, the beach is overrun with cruisers. Most of them will decide that the Infintiy chair area is much nicer and decide to camp out right between the chaise lounges. The resort staff does make sure they don't use the chairs but do not stop them from spreading thier blankets and backpacks right between the chairs. They use the palm trees and resort fences to dry clothes and hang stuff on. They also overrun the tables in the restaurant and use them to store thier stuff. One day, we couldn't find a free table for over an hour while four tables sat empty with a bottle of water, sunscreen and one towel on them. The staff also freely allows them to use the showers and restroom facilities of the resort. Many of the cruisers come with a guide and it seems the resort staff and guides have an agreement that allows the cruisers to use the facilities. Big bummer. It's like spring break until the ship departs and the beach is empty once again. Hopefully, the management will address this issue and devise a system that will allow the hotel to profit from this influx of people while not diminishing the quality of the experience for folks who have paid to stay at the resort.

• Stayed April 2009, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (339)
NEW YORK
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 20, 2009

The resort is not done yet and I was very skeptical would I be listening to hammering all day. I never even heard a thing and it was hidden behind a fence. The rooms were spacious and very clean. I would get up at six to walk the beach and the staff was there every morning cleaning even grooming the sand. Infinity bay is the best place for a sunset cocktail also you must have a cheeseburger, it was a cheeseburger in paradise. I will go back looking forward to see it when it is done.

• Stayed April 2009, traveled with family
atlanta, georgia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 4, 2009

My fiancee and I just returned from Roatan and had a wonderful time. We stayed in a beachfront room on the second floor (1003). I would ask for that room number specifically when booking if you are looking for a 1 bedroom as the third floor rooms are only 3 bedrooms and the first floor's view is obstructed by palm trees. The rooms have full kitchens, two bathrooms, a large bedroom, living room, wrap around balcony, and two LCD tvs.

The resort has a large and friendly staff who are happy to help in any way. The infinity pool is large and very nice and looks just like it does on the website. The food at the restaurant is good - some of the best we had on the island. You may want to consider booking an all-inclusive trip for that reason. There is still construction going on, but it was not too distracting because we had a beachfront room. (The construction should be finished in the next 6-9 months). The water is wonderful, and there is plenty of coral and sea life in the reef feet from the hotel beach. We saw a sea turtle and very large fish on a swim right from the hotel. The beach chairs are very nice and free as are sea kayaks, snorkeling gear, and all the beach towels you can use. The resort also has its own boat which you can rent for half or all day snorkeling and/or fishing trips. Roatan is a great place that we hope to return to. We felt completely safe there the whole time. Be sure to try the Monkey LaLa which is a frozen drink specialty of the island.

alabama
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 4, 2009

My husband and I stayed at Infinity Bay for a week in a one bedroom 2 bath condo for a week. We were hesitant at first because of the construction so we asked for a room close to the beach and on the second floor. The room was great, very clean and spacious. We loved the marble in the bathrooms and the kitchen was well equipped. We wished the lighting in the condo was brighter and it would have nice to have had a tv in the bedroom, but those are minor points since we were not in the condo all that much. The internet worked just fine and when we called the front desk they were always eager to help with our requests. We had a little trouble booking the room so were hesitant about the service, but they did a good job. La Palapa was the only functioning restaurant, but it was good. The lunch ha god service and a good menu. The dinner was better. The prices were good and the service was excellent. Now every resort is judged by the beach, and the beach was incredible. The horizon view was to die for, the flattest most horizontal view you'll ever see... and the water was crystal clear. West bay is phenomenal and this is the best beach on wb. We would stay at Infinity bay again and I am sure we will when the construction will be finished.

Bonaire
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 22, 2009

First let me say that this is a beautiful, high-end property which sits on a gorgeous white sand beach. It is the quintessential Caribbean scene you often see in postcards – powdery white sand and calm, turquoise water fringed by fluttering coconut palms. Just add Corona, or in this case Salva Vida. Now, allow that image to leave a permanent imprint in your mind, because the “landscape” shifts in the blink of an eye. First comes the audible portion of the “shift”. It starts with some yellin’, hootin’, and maybe some hollerin’. Then comes the visible portion of the “shift” – the full scale invasion of your Caribbean dream. In an instant, tranquil West Bay beach becomes Honduran Disney thanks to the arrival of one, or maybe a pair of cruise ships to otherwise laid-back Roatan.

A few more details on Infinity Bay and Roatan:

Rooms
We stayed in a one bedroom deluxe unit which had two balconies. The unit has a spacious living room and bedroom, one full bath and one half bath. There is no bathtub in the unit, which would have been a nice touch. All appliances are very modern, as the units are new. The bed was uncomfortable, as were the couches in the living room. In general, I was pleased with the accommodation.

Resort
Infinity Bay is a condominium resort consisting of two main buildings, a large central free-form infinity pool, and a beachfront bar and restaurant. The resort sits directly on West Bay beach and all units are a short walk to the sand/water. Many of the units have already been sold, but there are still some units available for sale. I was pleasantly surprised to find no sales pitch by the management. We met several of the owners, who are typically onsite at the pool, beach or restaurant. They were all extremely friendly and interesting people. The spa and formal restaurant are not yet open. There is construction in the back of the resort, but we really didn’t hear it during the day. They take great care not to let the construction interfere with the guests’ enjoyment of the resort.

Restaurant
Infinity Bay has a beachfront restaurant – La Palapa. It is open air style, with a few tables scattered on the sand. There is also a bar with several TVs for watching sports. The lunch and dinner food is good. I particularly enjoyed the curry shrimp and coconut shrimp, while my husband liked the fish sandwich. I was not particularly impressed with the breakfasts, and found their “typical” breakfast to be on the heavy side. The monkey la-la is an island drink that is a must try – kind of reminded me of the Virgin Island “Painkiller”.

The management here has built a great team of employees. The bar, restaurant and beach staff are pleasant, friendly, polite and professional. Garry, Ivan, Freddie, Rommel, Marlon and Emmanuel all went the extra mile to make our stay pleasant. The owners are typically on-site, but they don’t announce themselves as such unless you ask or otherwise take the time to chat them up. They are a friendly bunch and have some interesting stories. They take great pride in their construction efforts, and with good reason.

Beach/Snorkel/Diving
As I mentioned above, West Bay beach is stunning and Infinity Bay sits smack dab on the most impressive spot. So bright is the contrast between the azure water and white sand that it almost hurts the eyes. The best snorkeling on West Bay beach is directly in front of, and to the left of, Infinity Bay. The reef is very close to shore. The water is extremely calm with excellent visibility. My husband dove with Bananarama and loved the diving on Roatan, as well as the dive shop expertly run by Mal and Sophia. If you like snorkeling, I will tell you how to find my favorite spot. From the Infinity Bay pool, head out of the left side beach entrance from La Palapa. Look for two mooring lines straight out on the reef. Head straight for those buoys and you will come across a few very large coral heads sitting in about 30 feet of water. You must go past the first shallow coral heads and then past another sandy bottom to find this spot.

Restaurants in Roatan
We tried several restaurants on West Bay Beach and West End. I particularly enjoyed the Argentine Steakhouse in West End, and Bite on the Beach in West Bay. Bananarama also has a nice breakfast and lunch. Bite on the Beach is a particularly cool waterfront spot, where you will find three large resident eels and an octopus in the shallows. They were there to put on a show both nights we were there. My favorite dishes were the peanut sate shrimp and pasta with fresh pesto. Vintage Pearl at Bananarama was also nice, but more of an upscale experience. No shirt, No shoes, No Problem sums up most of the restaurants in West Bay – no need to bring any dressy clothes or shoes. One pair of flip flops was enough footwear for the entire trip, and even they didn’t get much use.

The Invasion
I touched on The Invasion above, so you already know what I am referring to. You will immediately notice a drastic change in West Bay Beach on cruise ship days, of which there were three during our stay. Directly beside Infinity Bay, hundreds of white chairs are lined up on the beach in rows about three inches apart. Music is pumped out of a sound system, for the entire beach to hear. Cruise shippers are then shuttled to West Bay beach in droves. Suddenly, you find yourself surrounded and your otherwise empty beach so crowded that you can barely walk from your chair to the beach without stepping on several Carnival towels. Lunchtime rolls around and you are hungry, you decide to head up to a table at Infinity’s restaurant for a bite. After combing the 12 or so tables for a spot, you realize that they are all taken - by cruise shippers who aren’t staying at the resort. So they must be ordering lunch, right? Nope, they are sitting there eating food they have brought in from the ship. I’m not sure how the coral on this beach has survived the onslaught of fins since many of the cruise ship snorkelers I saw were standing on it while feeding bread to the fish. This is the scene that lasts for hours until they leave as quickly as they arrive. I believe that the same thing happens at Bananarama on cruise ship days. I have posted some photos of the cruise ship days so you don’t have to take my word for it.

As beautiful as this resort is, as friendly as the staff and owners are, even despite the spectacular sunsets, I don’t think I would return to West Bay solely because of the cruise ship crowds. Roatan is building a new cruise ship terminal to accommodate even more ships, so I doubt that this issue will improve. It’s very unfortunate because otherwise this resort is 5-star!

Houston
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 7, 2009

There are not enought great things to say about this resort and this island!! To start with the resort is beautiful and truly the best beach front of any other local. The staff is phenomenal! They all go above and beyond! the resort is still under construction, but as a guest you never hear any noise or see the crew unless you go out to the front parking lot. The rooms are well furnished, comfortable beds, nice towels, flat screens and satelite tv. They have the most extensive water purification system that allows for drinkable water from all the taps! They also have a huge gennerator, so that the frequent power outages on the island are virtually seamless.

This island has the best water in the carribean! Magnificant sunrise/sunsets and great food all over the island!

I litterally cried when we left....we will be back soon!

Lake Bluff, IL
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 3, 2009

We spent the first week of our (adult) family vacation on Utila, another smaller Bay Island. We were miserable. Don't go there unless your primary interest is diving, in which case you will enjoy it. Or if you love sand fleas, it's paradise. We then did some research and picked what seemed to be the most expensive hotel on Roatan. For $465 a night we got a third floor luxury condo with three bedrooms, three baths, four balconies with views of the ocean and and beautiful pool. Our condo had a full kitchen (with dishes, cutlery, but only one sharp knife; if you plan to cook, bring your own.) granite tops. The entire unit had marble floors. Full dining room and living room with cable/flat screen-type tv. We were ecstatic when we saw the swim-up bar. Even though we rarely used it, it was comforting to have it nearby.

The location on the beach was perfect, at the end adjacent to a protected area which made for great snorkeling. We'd snorkeled on Utila but were plagued with sea lice, invisibile creatures which sting like mini jellyfish. Only had some insignificant experiences here. The snorkeling was great, beach beautiful and uncrowded. Only saw one sunbather who forgot to read the memo on no nude sunbathing. Had no incidents with cruise ships and were told by the staff that they were forbidden from using the chairs at the hotel. There were always plenty of chairs available.

The second phase of the resort is still under construction but we felt well insulated from the work and it didn't bother us at all. The "spa" part of Infinity Bay Resort and Spa is in the second phase along with a four-star restaurant and is supposed to be completed by next year.

There is no restaurant other than food served at tables on the beach or room service. $20 for a two pound lobster tail is a bargain, however, and we didn't mind. We lucked into The Vintage Pearl restaurant which is walking distance down the beach. My 33-year old son agreed with another reviewer that he had the best steak he'd ever eaten. (It came from the US.) $250 for five adults included one bottle of wine, one drink and two beers. The service was excellent, atmosphere was island perfection. We loved it. Amazingly on Saturday night at 7 PM there were only four tables being served. We were seated immediately and had wonderful service.

We took a taxi to Coxen Hole to grocery shop. It's about a 20 minute drive each way and the driver waited while we shopped for about half an hour. We'd negotiated a $15 trip but gave him $20 for the wait. Well worth the trip. Bought wonderful Chilean wine for about $10 a bottle that beat the heck out of the (also Chilean) wine we'd been charged $20 a bottle for on Utila.

Definitely take the water taxi to see West End. There's nothing you can buy there that you can't find at World Market, but it's a throwback, very third worldish but charming. I don't think anybody goes to Roatan for the shopping.

Only downside to Infinity Bay: internet was sporadic, and if my kids hadn't been there to put it right every day I would have given up on it. We lost water 2-3 times including for two hours before our departure. We were on the third floor, and my husband is somewhat handicapped so that when the elevator went out, which happened 2-3 times, he was stuck in the room or at the pool. The hotel made an adjustment on our bill for the inconveniences. The staff couldn't have been friendlier or more cooperative.

• Stayed February 2009, traveled with family

Been to Infinity Bay Spa and Beach Resort? Share your experiences!