“Beautiful resort, not so great weather!” 4 of 5 stars

Announcement
Book now!!
Ranked #2 of 11 hotels in West Bay
North Vancouver, Canada
“Beautiful resort, not so great weather!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 9, 2009

We stayed at the beautiful Infinity Bay resort from Jan. 21 to 25, 2009 in unit 1001 located right in front of the beach and it was lovely. It was a very spacious one bedroom and was more than we really needed as we were not going to cook. The weather was sunny for the first two days and then it started to rain. We were told that it was the tail end of the rainy season. Forecast was for rain every day for the next week. Needless to say, we checked out early and headed to sunny Acapulco for the rest of our vacation.

If you go later in the year, say February or March, you can be sure to get better weather. The snorkeling right in front of the resort is first rate. The Infinity Bay restaurant is their beach bar and a few tables set on the beach. Food is OK, nothing to write home about. There are lots of nice restaurants within walking distance. And don't miss going to the Bay Islands Beach Resort on Thursday for the pig barbeque and crab races. It's all to raise some monies for the local school. You'll have a fun time.

The only down thing about Infinity Bay is Cruise Ship days. They allow cruise ship passengers to use their facilities during the day. As we were having breakfast one morning at the beach, a group arrived and quickly commandeered three tables for the entire day and ordered drinks for the group. This was at 8:30 am. Needless to say our intended quiet breakfast on the beach was quite noisy. Think college frat party. The boozing went all day until they had to go back to the ship. The only saving grace is that the local waiters get to make some extra bucks. The average wage in Honduras is $10 a day.

The Bay islands are very beautiful and when it's raining, there's not a lot to do unless you go diving every day.

• Stayed January 2009, traveled as a couple

1,078 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (334)
Los Angeles
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 4, 2009

I would highly recommend Infinity Bay. But given the breadth of the Tripadvisor audience, some context is in order. We are 40 somethings generally looking for a bit of adventure mixed with reasonable comfort. Infinity Bay served the later in spades. The rooms are comfortable with all the necessary amenities. The beach is beautiful, the food is really good and the folks working at the resort are top notch (Carlos at the bar and Juan on tables – both super). The resort easily sits on the best spot on the island. No close second. So, if you want to catch up on some good books, meet nice people, snorkel on a great reef (right off shore), and make up for lost sleep – this might be your spot.

As to adventure – if you are a diver, then you will find it. If not, you probably won’t. Sure there are ziplines (“canopies”) and boating – both very fun, but you won’t feel like National Geographic is nipping at your heels. But R&R opportunities are abundant. If you want to experience new cultures, you won’t find it here (unless New Jersey, California and Texas would qualify as new cultures). West End is most likely what Ambergris Cay is Belize looked like 20 years ago.

Some random dining thoughts: Il Pomodoro right next door has awesome pizza and great Argentine wine. Reasonably priced – similar to the States. Island Pearl served me quite honestly the best steak (filet) I’ve eaten in recent memory. It wasn’t cheap - $250 or so for 2 people, but we did order 2 bottles of good wine. Mavis & Dixie’s in West End right by the water taxi dock – great food great price. Awesome burger. The Light House restaurant...nice people, but the food was marginal. Finally, if you get to The View restaurant mid-island in the daylight, you will have the best view on the island and a damn good lunch. Do go.

Oh yeah – the bugs. We heard horror stories so we brought a reasonable supply of deet. It was overkill. Off is probably all you need. The bugs were insignificant –unless you either (i) experience something quite different than what we experienced, or (ii) you are a cityfied wuss that freaks at the first sign of a mosquito.

We have quite a few more pictures at http://www.travelgrotto.com/roatan.htm If you have any questions feel free to ask. Happy travels.

• Liked — Clean, great beach
  • Disliked — Cruise ship day h
  • Stayed December 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Big Island of Hawaii
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 1, 2009

My first ever visit to Roatan started off a little rocky. I flew from Hilo to Honolulu to Los Angeles to Miami to San Pedro Sula to Roatan (yeah, I know...). TACA (Take A Chance Airlines) emailed me in Los Angeles to advise that my afternoon flight from San Pedro Sula to Roatan the next day was canceled. They moved me to the morning flight, but my Miami flight didn't get in in time. I emailed back that I could stay overnight in San Pedro Sula and take the morning flight the next day, and they agreed. TACA then emailed me on landing in Miami that the morning flight the next day was now canceled and they put me on the afternoon flight. I was traveling for business and would have lost a whole day. I found SOSA Aerolineas and a travel agent on Utila who booked a flight on the original day, and I also booked a backup hotel room in San Pedro Sula, as well as looking into the ferry from La Ceiba to Roatan just in case. Throughout, the front office staff at infinity Bay was very helpful, changing my rental car arrangements and my room reservations as needed and on the fly, which was great.

And thank you iPhone for allowing me to do this from the airport in Miami and not have a meltdown!

Flew into San Pedro Sula from Miami with endless views of huge amounts of flooding. It seemed the entire valley floor surrounding the airport was underwater. It became clear why my travel plans were changed.

Ended up catching the SOSA flight and landed safely at about 4 pm, 3 hours before my original TACAs flight, so it worked out better.

Ok, Infinity Bay. First impression was questionable as you pull into the parking lot which sits on the road, and you're confronted with construction sights and sounds. There was not a lot of signage directing us to the working part of the resort. The office is in a converted studio unit. You walk literally underneath the construction with debris falling on the tin sheet over your head. Front office staff were very welcoming and friendly. My room was a studio, which was very well appointed and comfortable. Had a little fridge and wet bar and a nice bathroom. No view to speak of and no patio. For a single traveler, and with an entire island to explore I thought it was perfect. It didn't have any internet, though, which my travel agent said it would. I knew it wouldn't have WiFi, but it turns out no connection at all and i had a lot of work to do while there, so I moved to a one-bedroom. Again, beautifully appointed, this room was on the ground floor with a great patio, a large bedroom with plenty of storage and closet space, a huge bathroom, and a full kitchen complete with granite countertops and a breakfast bar with stools. There was a flat panel tv with satellite, and it was all very attractive and comfortable.

The resort is very much a work in progress, and it felt like they were trying to offer resort-style amenities at a condo property. There was no restaurant (along with the lobby, it will come in Phase II), but they did offer food at the bar (and free WiFi), although the quality of the food was just average. And the kitchen is in the basement adjacent to the bar/pool area. I'm sure it's new and beautiful, but it didn't fill me with confidence to watch food come up the stairs from the basement past the construction and exposed lumber with the food only partially or not covered. Service at the bar and throughout the property was excellent, though. Everyone greeted us by name if they could and were very friendly. Service could be slow, but I'm from Hawaii so slow service is a part of life.

Location was stunning. Crescent shaped white sand beach, dock with a water taxi service that was convenient and inexpensive, and a lot of staff around at all times to take care of you. There were not that many people there at the time, and we felt really special. Also, the bar seems to be a local hangout of sorts and we met all kinds of people who knew a lot about Roatan.

Did visit other properties while there and came away feeling like Infinity Bay was my fave. After a day of exploring, it was comforting to return to my new "home". It is unassuming, uncrowded, and unpretentious. Rooms are large and beautiful. Things will change once Phase II is complete as that will double the size of the property, but also add some amenities that are missing.

• Liked — Beautiful rooms and location
  • Disliked — still a work in progress
  • Stayed October 2008, traveled on business
USA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 1, 2009

Infinity Bay sits on it's own slice of West Bay Beach. It is brand new, Phase II still being under construction when I was there. Geared more to "owners" than to catering to guests looking for a full hotel/resort experience. Very easy to find, although the current parking lot sits right on the actual road and there is very little signage to help guide you into the working part of the resort. Rooms are spacious and attractive. One-bedrooms and up include a beautiful and fully equipped full kitchen, while the studios make do with a wetbar-type set up. Lots of storage in either as they really are condos, and nice ones at that.

Our ground level one bedroom had a beautiful flat panel tv with satellite, full kitchen with great full-size appliances and granite countertops. We had a view of the pool area, which is very attractive, and we had a very roomy patio with furniture. Our bedroom was on the ground level walkway affording little privacy unless the blinds were drawn. Very comfortable and complete and we were very pleasantly surprised and happy with it. Bathroom was very roomy with great water pressure (a must!). Aircon was extremely effective. Only issue was with the WiFi that was supposed to be included in every one bedroom, but not in ours. They could not figure out why or what was wrong so we never used it, but they do supply a cable in every room to connect to the in-room ethernet jack.

Resort boasts reverse osmosis for water purification, but still includes a 5 gallon bottle of water in a dispenser in every room for drinking which was a really nice touch. Resort also boasts back up generator in case of power outages (which happened twice when we were there), and top flight sewage treatment. they have also been very particular about water runoff polluting the Bay, and were very proud during my visit that there was no runoff in front of the resort before or during my stay when rain was torrential, flooding most of mainland Honduras. they were especially proud of the clarity of the water in front of the resort as this is a major issue island wide and is killing the reef, apparently.

Beautiful little strip of beach in front the resort with it's own pier and water taxi service which runs to West End. Very fun and inexpensive way to get back and forth between West Bay and West End.

Front office staff was very friendly, professional and courteous. My travel was a disaster as I was trying to fly in between white outs and flooding rain storms. Front office staff assisted in changing my rental car reservations and plans and adjusted my room dates accordingly and without complaint. Really made me feel welcome and part of the "family" before I even arrived.

Entire staff, actually, was very friendly and courteous. Everyone greeted me and staff made a point to learn my name and preferences. Especially at the Palapa Bar, which is a great ex-pay hangout. We met a lot of people there and had some very insightful and educational conversations. It was the only place on property to eat, which we did a few times and the food was ok. they just started "room service", which I was glad for, but turned out to be a little strange as the food comes from the basement kitchen (same as the food at the bar) delivered by a guy in jeans, a Member's Only jacket, and backwards baseball cap. Glad for the service, but the professionalism was not up to par. We also made a mistake on ordering the food thinking that we'd try to split a seafood platter "Infinity special" rather then the usual sandwich or burger we'd had at the bar. Food was mostly inedible and we should have stuck with what we knew would be good rather than expecting it to be different under the guise of "room service".

In general, though, we were very pleased. And we fell in love with Roatan.

The walk past the construction towards the open part of the resort is extremely dangerous as huge chunks of concrete and building materials rain down on the thin sheet of tin roofing covering the walkway. Several pieces crashed through the cover landing just steps in front of me.

• Liked — Staff friendliness, room appointments and full kitchen, beach location and water taxi service
  • Disliked — Dining options on property, some bugs in service and amenities
  • Stayed October 2008, traveled on business
New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 31, 2008

This review is written while my head is in NYC and my heart is in Roatan, but I will try to be as objective as possible.
Our stay on the island got off to a rocky start when it took 2 hours-( you read correctly) to get through customs. Obviously the resort had nothing to do with this and our driver waited patiently for all guests to make it through. The trip from the airport to Infinity took about 20 minutes.
One arrives at the portion of the resort which is a construction site. Guests are taken a short distance under a protected walkway to the office which is temporarily housed in one of the units. The staff was friendly and efficient but provided absolutely no information about the island, activities or dining options. It would have been very helpful if all guests received a map of West Bay and West Beach along with sample menus, the name and telephone # of restaurants, attractions etc. Guests should also be supplied with emergency contacts.
We stayed in a two bedroom oceanview unit. The ocean was only visible from a corner of the living room and edge of balcony.The interior was amazing!!!Marble tile and mahogany wood detailing. The large refrigerator and fully equipped kitchen were a plus . The internet service was not connected however the resort had a resourceful IT expert who jerryrigged a conection from another unit. The beds and other furnishings were luxurious. The housekeepers kept us well supplied with toiletries and made sure all the sand we brought from the beach was removed.
The restaurant/bar currently has a limited menu, and there are plans to add many items. Breakfast was a great deal-for $4.50 you could get a Tipico-eggs, tortillas, cheese, bacon or sausage and black beans. The kitchen made banana pancakes for our daughter (only plain ones were on the menu) and a fruit plate for those watching their food consumption. All came with good strong coffee or Juice. The staff at the bar was amiable helpful and friendly without being overbearing.
The beach is absolutely incredible. White sand rims the most perfect turquoise water imagineable. There was great snokeling just offshore, comfy beachchairs, and breathtaking sunsets. That being said there were also very hungry sand fleas who feasted on my husband. Natural repellant did not seem to work for him and wearing Deet all day in the heat ( and it was in the 90's) was not a viable option. My daughter and I were bitten but not to an extreme. One of the best services offered by the resort is water taxi which runs until 9:30 p.m. at $3.00 per person each way. It was wonderful sailing though the water under the stars with the breeze cooling us!!!!
The two biggest downsides to this property are the ongoing construction (which should be over by Feb.) and the cruiseship visitors. We were well aware that there was ongoing construction when we booked (rates are discounted because of this) and were prepared. Work starts between 6:30 and 7:00 everyday including Sat. and Sun. and ends at sundown. Some work goes on quietly during the evening hours. I have never seen people labor so hard!!!!!! The noise did not bother us as we are early risers however if in doubt ask for a room near the ocean.
The cruise visitors are a more problematic issue. During off season ships dock two days a week and passengers can opt for excursions which include packages at a couple of the resorts on West Bay or at "Tabiana" beach. Tabiana is the property next to Infinity. Literally hundreds of white plastic beach chairs are lined up in rows facing the water. "Guides" in kayaks "chum" the reef with bread enticing the fish to specific spots where cruisers snorkel, stand on the reef and yell at their friends onshore. This cannot be healthy for the ecosystem.
Vendors troll the area adjacent to Tabiana urging visitors to buy jewelry, dvd's, replica rolex watches or sunglasses. Massage and hairbraiding are also offered. Since the vendors are not allowed on Tabiana property, they and their customers congregate in front of Infinity. To be fair, many rely on the income cruisers provide. It would be great if there was a specific portion of the Infinity property designated for vendors.
Checkout was smooth, there were no problems, the bill was correct. All in all our stay was very pleasant and I would recommend this property.

• Liked — beautiful rooms and beach
  • Disliked — lack of information provided at check in, proximity to Tabiana on cruise days
  • Stayed August 2008, traveled with family
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
San Salvador
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 10, 2008

My family and I just got back from a 5 day vacation to Roatan and stayed at the Infinity Bay Resort. I am going to try to get into detail on the experience that we had there.

1- They picked us at the airport on time. Big airconditioned van. The trip took about 20 minutes to the Hotel.
2- The reception is in a temporary office. But, check in was no problem. They told us about the construction going on next door but our room was towards the ocean and barely noticed it or even hear it.
3- We stayed at a Ocean View Room Deluxe. It was perfect for my family ( 2 adults , 2 small boys) It is divided into a bedroom with a king size bed and ample closet space, a living room with a queen size sofa and a 32 inch flat screen TV with cable and a fully equiped kitchen. The bathroom is nice size,all marble tops. Shower very big with perfect water pressure and enough hot water. AC worked perfect.
4- The hotel itself is absolutely beautiful. The pool is huge. They have a beach front bar. On the beach, you have lounge chairs which are exclusive for hotel guests. This, you will find necessary on the days when cruise ship passangers fill the beach in front of the hotel
5- Our first day, we had lunch beachside and the food is your basic fare of hotdogs, hamburgers, chicken fingers, etc. Nothing to write home about. There was a serious fly problem but that could just be from the weather. All in all not bad.
6- Everyday, we would take a 10 minute water taxi ride to West end. 3 dollars per person one way. They take you there, and then they will pick you up at the time you tell them. The hotel has its own water taxi which is very convenient. I definetely recommend you eating in West End, seeing that there is nothing other than hotel food in West Bay.
7- The service of this hotel is the only downside that I can see. For what you pay for it, you’re expecting more.
8- All in all, this is by far the best hotel in West Bay with the best beach in Roatan.

• Liked — The whole room. Kitchen. Incredible location on the best beach
  • Disliked — The service.
  • Stayed August 2008, traveled with family
Newport Beach, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 27, 2008

MY TRAVEL STYLE: If possible, I try to stay away from business and strongly prefer resorts that resemble the Four Seasons, Aman, and Oberoi but try to find similar properties at lower cost. I seek out the “wow” experiences and I encourage you to view hotels I have stayed at and their respective reviews (by clicking on my name).

LOCATION: Excellent. Beachfront. You can walk from one end of West Bay to the other in about 15 minutes.

BEST WAY TO GET THERE: Fly here, the boat from La Ceiba is a terrible experience. 30 minute taxi from the airport, this hotel will pay for airport pickup/dropoff.

TYPE OF ROOM:

1 Bedroom

BED/SHEETS/PILLOW: Bed is very comfortable with luxurious linens. The pillow is not down and a bit too thick for me.

LIGHTING: Tons of lighting in bedroom, bathroom, living area, and kitchen.

BATHROOM/SHOWER: Beautiful. Shower has medium pressure and can get hot if desired.

TOILETRIES: Good. ProTerra brand.

CLEANLINESS: Hotel was completed in December 2007 and everything is very new and very clean.

A/C: Quickly and quietly gets the room cool.

CLOSET SPACE: Big. Enough for 2 people to unpack all items.

STYLE OF ROOM: Beautiful. Travertine stone flooring and granite counter tops. 1 bedroom is huge.

QUIET/MORNING LIGHT: Room was quiet except for the construction currently at the resort. Most but not all morning light would be blocked by the blinds.

FOOD: There is no restaurant on the property yet. There are bar snacks available at the pool.

TV/INTERNET: Flat screen TV is the appropriate size for the living room with many channels in English. There is no TV in the bedroom only the living room. Internet is currently wired only and very fast. Internet plug is awkwardly in the kitchen. Wireless should be working by the time you stay here.

SERVICE: Staff is very friendly but don’t expect too much help or excellent service. Housekeeping didn’t come one day and then after I placed a call the housekeeper provided subpar service.

COMMON AREA: The pool is really beautiful and the nicest in all of West Bay. The lounge chairs are plastic and on the cheap side. There are no umbrellas by the pool (except in the middle of tables) so if you want to avoid the sun there it’s not going to happen. Palm trees, plants, and flowers throughout. There are 6 umbrellas out by the beach which is not going to be enough when the hotel is at full capacity. I also feel that the umbrellas don’t block all of the sun as I was burnt after 2 days and almost never left the shade of the umbrella. There is no lobby so if you want a place to enjoy a drink it’s going to be at the pool, beach or in your room. The Check-in counter is currently in a 1 bedroom suite that has been converted into their office.

SUMMARY: The hotel is by far the best on the beach but it definitely has some issues. If there was other hotels in the same league, I would only give this hotel 4 stars, but since it still is by far the best hotel, it get’s 5. West Bay has the best beach but almost no nightlife. If you want nightlife stay in West End which has an ok at best town an no beach. As a result of the construction, it is best to be as close to the beach (and therefore away from the construction) as possible.

• Liked — Huge, beautiful rooms & pool
  • Disliked — Service is lacking, there is no lobby, no umbrellas for loungers by pool
  • Stayed July 2008, traveled solo
    • 2 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

Been to Infinity Bay Spa and Beach Resort? Share your experiences!