“Great spot - a bit rough around the edges, but great service” 4 of 5 stars

Offers & Announcements
Love@Infinitybay
Ranked #3 of 12 Hotels in West Bay
GA
“Great spot - a bit rough around the edges, but great service”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2013

Ok - It's not the Ritz or Four Seasons, but it is pretty well kept (by American standards) and the staff is very attentive. We rented directly from owners through VRBO #376330 - It was at the very end of the property (building 20), not much of a view, but the 1BR condo had high end furnishings, and a few minor maintenance issues which were immediately addressed after a call to the front office.

I would definitely recommend a 2nd level or above. Ground level is fine, but you get a lot of foot traffic walking by and I personally want a bit more privacy.

Swiss Marty was our man at the Palapas bar for breakfast and lunch. He also took us on a private island tour. I rented a car and he took us places we never would have found on our own. He is a great asset to the resort and always had a smile on his face. If you'd like a personal tour, I would recommend him as your guide!

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Rick2959, General Manager at Infinity Bay Spa and Beach Resort, responded to this review, April 27, 2013
Dear lowkey,

Thank for taking the time to share your experience at Infinity Bay. We glad that the staff addressed all your requests and concerns as we strive to deliver service with high standards. Marty is a great team member and Im glad you got to experience his outstanding customer service. He was thrilled that you mentioned his name.

Look forward to seeing you back at Infinity!
Rick K

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (349)
Chicago, Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 7, 2013

We loved our meals at the Infinity Bay, International Buffet Restaurant. The food was delicious, the service was great and the price was reasonable. The International Buffet at the Infinity Bay Resotr was a wonderful respite for enjoying a spectacular view and setting while having a wonderfully prepared meal. We quickly became friends with the kitchen and buffet staff who could not have been more helpful sorting out their Gluten Free options. That was a big plus for us.
I hope that they continue their current schedule so that when I return I will know in advance what night to expect their terrific BBQ buffet, currently on Sunday nights and their endless and well stocked salad bar. Don’t miss it.

Dear Jvasq,

Thank you for your feedback and your time to post it.

The restaurant and kitchen team were so happy to see your review and they all say hola and Mucho Gracious!

We will continue to work hard to deliver the high quality of product and service that you enjoyed while at Infinity Bay.

See you soon...don't forget!
Rick K
Welland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 7, 2013

My husband and I plus 3 other couples and their daughter spent a week here the end of January 2013. Upon arrival we were greeted by the Manager "Rick" who was very friendly shaking hands and letting us know if there was anything we wanted just to let him know. We have never had that personal welcome before and thought what a difference a smaller resort can make. We always try and book a 2nd floor suite as we both prefer the fresh ocean air than air conditioners but unfortunately our agent said the resort couldn't guarantee it. We did email the resort also but the answer was much the same. We were shown to our "ground floor" condo and when I first opened the door and took a breath I told my husband I can't stay here! I suffer from chemical sensitivies and allergies so this was extremely upsetting. The smell was definitely an insecticide as it was also on the bushes surrounding the patio. We opened all the windows and put all the fans on hoping it would get better. Two of our other couples were also on the ground floor but said the smell was not as strong and didn't affect them. I had a tour of our third couples room (with their daughter) a 2 bedroom on the 3rd floor and the sea breeze was wonderful - absolutely no chemical smell what-so-ever! After airing the room out for 8 hours there was no change so we asked the front desk if the could move us. They were able to give us a small room on the 2nd level for only one night. The next day we went back up to the desk and I asked to speak to Rick the Manager and they said he was not available. (I asked a total of 4 times to speak to the Manager and was told he was not available but that he knew the situation). So much for the welcoming speach!! They could not find us another room the second night so we had to stay there with all the windows open and fans running. (Not too pleased as anyone could have walked in). In hindsight I should have slept on the couch in the livingroom of our friend's 3rd level condo. The next morning I was so sick I immediately went to the front desk and Denise said she would check to see if any honeymooners wanted to switch rooms. I realize this is a small resort and that not all the units are rented out by the owners so this isn't an easy task to move someone. Finally on our third day at 3 o'clock Denise came through and took us to our "second floor" upgraded to a 2 bedroom suite. It was absolute heaven! We had a breeze from one end to the other end!! I did notice that the condo we moved out of was empty for two days and when I saw two men on the balcony I asked them how they liked it there. They said it was alot better than their previous one as there was a foul ordor which they said must have been a dead animal in the duct work. These things do happen even on vacation.
The resort itself is wonderful - the condos are fabulous nicely decorated and very clean. The buffet was really good. I would have liked to have more than one selection of dessert (lots of fruit though) but what they had was good.

I did fill out a questionaire at the resort and was hoping Rick would have at least replied to it but it sounds like he only replies to reviews if it is online as my girlfriend got a reply to her review.

I would definitely go again only if it was above ground.

I would have sent this review much sooner but unfortunately I have had pneumonia.

Sue

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
Rick2959, General Manager at Infinity Bay Spa and Beach Resort, responded to this review, April 7, 2013
Hello Sue and thank you for taking the time to submit a review,

I can honestly tell you that this is the first time Im hearing of your issues. I will meet with my front office team to find out why the line of communication failed and make sure that doesn't happen again. My availability is typically 24 hours a day. I can assure you if I would have known of your situation it would have been resolved right away! Hospitality is our passion and our goal is for everyone no matter what their tastes are to have a wonderful experience. All the Sunwing evaluations are read by our team and our coordinator responds to all of them.
We will investigate what chemical smell you are referring to as this is the first time we have heard of an issue like this.
Please accept our apologies and Im very happy you enjoyed the balance of your vacation.

Rick Kolinsky
Eugene, Oregon
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 6, 2013

We were very much looking forward to staying here after hearing/reading many good things about Infinity Bay. Upon arriving into our room there was a foul smell. Ended up being rotting food in the garbage disposal that did not work. This made foul water back up into the dishwasher. Maintenance did come fix in a timely manner. However that was just the beginning to other issues. One bathroom sink was very slow draining, one shower never provided warm water, a foul smell came from the washing machine area that was locked up because only the unit owners can use. Every time we closed the vertical blinds sections would drop off. We inquired to check out two times with the front desk staff and were told no problem, we could check out and be refunded since we paid in full. When we packed up and went to check out to move to another location a third person told us that we would not be refunded do to the policy of that time of year. Spoke with the General Manager the next day and he would not accommodate us whatsoever. The resort was fully booked and no other rooms available. Will not recommend this resort.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
You stayed at the resort during Easter week which is the busiest week of the year. You prepaid for your vacation and in the middle of the week you requested to check-out to go somewhere else in which we could not get an explanation why. We have a policy of no refunds especially during periods like Easter which is typical at any resort on the island. when. We are always flexible with our guests if there is an emergency or something unusual arrises. None of the issues mentioned were discussed prior to your departure and we would done anything possible to accommodate you.
Again, thank you and we hope you reconsider coming back!

Rick Kolinsky
Vancouver, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 5, 2013

We just got back one week ago from a two week vacation at Infinity Bay. It was everything we had hoped for and more. We had read many of the reviews before going down so we were expecting it to be a great place to stay, and I was worried it wouldn't live up to its description, which we've had happen before. Well, we needn't have worried at all. The hotel is lovely, though not quite finished yet. (There is no spa completed at this time). The grounds are well kept and groomed and the rooms are large and clean and modern.

The beach is absolutely lovely, with clean white sand, (all seaweed is raked off continuously), and the reef is just a couple of minutes swim right out front of the hotel. The snorkeling was amazing and we couldn't believe the amount and variety of fish that we saw while there. My husband also did several dives and the Infinity Bay Divers (Robert, Andreas, and Gullianne) were very helpful and professional.

We went with SunWing and did the All Inclusive although we had a suite and could cook if we wanted to as well. Personally, other than a couple of mornings where we just had a couple of pieces of toast and tea in our room before going to the beach, we looked forward to going to the buffet for each meal. No, there is not dozens upon dozens of choices. What they have done is much better than that as far as we were concerned. They have a different theme each night, ie., Honduran, Mexican, Italian, Seafood, etc., and they choose three or four main dishes, three or four side dishes,with salads and a desert in the theme of the night. BUT they have perfected each dish that they make so that each choice is delicious. We always left feeling full and enjoyed everything we tried. (We are still talking about their Tres Leche Cake too ;)..very good).

The staff were ALL helpful, from the girl who cleaned our room each day, (we had no problems getting towels at all), to the restaurant staff who were invariably cheerful and made meals fun, to the staff at the beach bar/restaurant. I want to make a note here too re the complaints some people have posted about the preference of the staff to the SunWing people over the Timeshare people or vice versa. Because we had read this on a few reviews we conciously watched for anything like that and we saw no favouritism in service whether it was AI or Timeshare, OR whether you tipped or didn't tip. I think, like anywhere, I'm sure it has happened at some point, but honestly I think it would be the exception not the rule). We at least, over two full weeks, saw nothing to complain about in this regard at all.

We'd like to specially mention: Angela in the bar upstairs, unbelievably hard working and invariably cheerful (we loved her), Darlon "O'brian" you were so much fun, Luis keep smiling :), Jerry and Marlon such great servers, Eldon, you have a voice like an angel and we enjoyed listening to you from our balcony one lunch time, and all the cooks were great but a special thank you to Heinz for always welcoming us with a smile (and for cutting me little choice pieces of meat). At the beach bar Ivan and Alex fought over us in a friendly fashion every lunch time that we went there and SwissMarty thankyou for sharing your story with us. From Kristy at the front desk when we arrived to each and everyone of you thank you for making us feel "at home" and relaxed in such a lovely setting.

Our best day in Roatan was spent with a tourguide named Nolla (Info@islandtourofroatan.com). We arranged for Nola through Sophie/Avi at the front desk. Both of them are very helpful and informative and you can place your trust in what they tell you. It was US$65 for an airconditioned car to take us whereever we wanted to go for the day. We opted for the Iguana Farm, the town of Punta Gorda (awesome seafood platter lunch), the mangrove boat ride (amazing and fun), and were driven through many of the smaller towns. Nolla was incredibly knowledgeable about the history of each place and the island in general as well as knowing all the native herbs and cures that the islanders use. By the time we made it "home" we felt that we had a much better understanding of life there which for us is one of reasons we travel.

My husband wants to make sure I recommend their beer too. They have three kinds and all of them are good. If you like Corona their "Port Royal" is as good, and he liked the "Barena". The house wine served at dinner is pretty good too.

I also would like to say to all the people that complain about the beach being busy on the days that the cruise ships are in...it's not just on Roatan, its like that everywhere in the Carribean. And try as I can I don't understand how this is the fault of Infinity Bay or any other individual hotel. Yes, to be honest the foot traffic up the beach did get a little busier but not terribly so and it made for some really interesting people watching anyway. :) Besides if you like the pool you won't even notice them and they don't use the chairs at the beach at any rate either.''

As another side note the local people selling things like cigars/hammocks/tshirts/necklaces etc do walk up and down the beach but do not in any way harrass you. Yes, they ask if you catch their eye but you say no thanks and they smile and move on. Not ONCE were we bothered.

For sure buy a donut from the Banana donut man. I still just close my eyes to hear his singsong voice saying "banana donuts" as he walks up and down the beach...(.his wife makes them fresh every day).

All in all it was a terrific vacation and we fully intend on coming back. Originally we thought we'd go back again next month but due to my husband hurting his back it looks like we are now having to wait until next spring again. It is something to be looked forward to!

Also, and last but not least, we did finally meet Rick the manager and he was as nice and courteous as everyone says. And yes you can see him regularly down at the beach restaurant working away on his laptop....so if you do manage to work really hard at it and find a complaint....you don't have to look far to get help... :)

Thank you to everyone!

Room Tip: We were in room 1606. It was on the 3rd floor, two thirds of the way up the side closer to the main...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Vancouver, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 4, 2013

My family and myself chose this resort because it is right in front of West Bay Beach which is the main reason for our choice. And also, they have a solid back up generator that quickly switches over when we lose power. This is a convenience not easy to come by. The room we were in could use some upgrade and looks a bit tired as I understand the room was part of Phase 1 built some 5.5 years ago. From what I have seen, they are still finishing up their main building thus you will see some roof tiles in the parking lot. The staff were very friendly and accommodating, always ready with a smile. Will come back definitely!

Room Tip: Stay in the Phase 2 buildings which are newer and quieter. And try to avoid ground level rooms.
Hamilton, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 4, 2013

We visited Infinity Bay during Semana Santa (March 25-April 1/13). We did not realize when we booked that it was during the island's busiest times. I admit we were nervous and did not know what to expect. We flew out of Toronto, and it was the first time flying during a week day. We also paid a bit more and got the "Elite Plus" package through Sunwing. Money well spent. It got us priority check in (no lines to wait in to check our luggage), extra leg room on the flight, and extra baggage allowance. It was a short bus ride from the airport to the resort. Check in was SLOW, we had to form a very long line that extended out the door of the lobby. Luckily one of the wait staff came over with a nice fruity drink for us, and there was a table with some snacks there waiting for us as well. Our room was not ready yet upon arrival (which we expected, as we got there before noon). We changed into our bathing suits and headed to the bar and made the best of it. Our hotel room was beautiful (2 bathrooms, a full kitchen, king size bed, and a lovely view of the pool from the second floor). Here is the part with my only real complaints:

1) Housekeeping. Our bed was made everyday. Floors were washed. Towels were replaced if we left them on the floor (which is great for conservation/sustainability). That's about it as far as cleaning went. We never did get our toiletries replaced at all. I went a day or two without a facecloth (which I use everyday). Coffee wasn't replaced daily either. And, the "small" details were not looked after. E.g. In other resorts, we have always had towel "animals" or heart shapes and flowers in places like the bed or bathroom. There were no bells and whistles like that. They did not clean off counters, left dirty dishes by the bed, etc. Yes I know we are totally capeable of cleaning up after ourselves. BUT...it's part of vacation, isn't it?

2) We requested the "honeymoon" package, which was to include a bottle of wine and fruit in the room upon arrival. After 4 days, asking the desk TWICE, going to the Sunwing Rep and being assured it would be delivered, it did not come. It wasn't until our friend went to speak to the manager (Rick) that it finally got delivered. Rick came through for us beautifully, there was wine, champagne, cheese and fruit in our room within the hour. I didn't want to make a big deal of it, and we were just going to forget about it. Our friend was adamant that we shouldn't let it go, and that it was the principle of it. Thanks Rick :)

The food was unbelieveable. Hot, fresh, and delicious. Wonderful omlettes made to order. They do not have the wide variety that the larger resorts have, but the food they do have is of much better quality.

The wait staff work their tails off for you. Always happy to see you, always friendly, and were prompt with their service. That applies to the bartenders as well. It was very busy at times (due to Semana Santa) but they never kept you waiting long.

Grounds were kept clean, beautiful flowers and trees, always lots of beach chairs to choose from. A few people would go down in the morning and "save" chairs (there are signs posted up that after 45 min the towel will be moved). This didn't seem to be a big issue though.

Snorkelling was unbelieveable. Who knew there was so much beauty beneath the water. We know not to touch the coral or remove anything. But there were a few idiots that were out there climbing on it, standing on it, breaking off pieces of the plants, etc. That's difficult to watch. I did see someone out there on a kayak and her job (I believe) is to monitor this type of thing. Thank goodness for that.

We took a trip to the West End via water taxi. Glad we went. Some lovely shopping and interesting places to visit and eat.

Overall, it's a wonderful place to visit. If we do go back, we probably won't go during Semana Santa, although the people watching was quite interesting :)

Room Tip: Up on a higher floor. By the pool is nice for the view.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Infinity Bay Spa and Beach Resort? Share your experiences!