“Wonderful Beach Vacation” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #3 of 12 Hotels in West Bay
Red Bank, NJ
“Wonderful Beach Vacation”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 5, 2013

We only had from Tuesday morning till Saturday morning to enjoy this beautiful resort. I will definitely be back and hopefully, for a two week stay!
We arrived on the 10:25 AM flight. There was a driver there to greet us and transport us to Infinity Bay.The property is located about 20 minutes from the airport at the West end of the island. The lobby is large and welcoming. The staff was warm and helpful and check in took only a minute or so. We quickly unpacked and changed and were swimming out to the reef before Noon. I can't say enough about this gorgeous reef which is located about 50 yards from the shoreline. It is so nice to be able to put the snorkeling gear on and just head on out to the reef. No lines or waiting for anything. You just go at your own speed. Our first visit to the reef lasted 2 1/2 hours. It was fascinating. We saw two barracuda, squid, all kinds of other fish. The video I took looks like I was swimming in someone's aquarium!
We worked up a good appetite so, we decided to walk the ten yards from the beach to the Palapa Bar and get some lunch & a drink. The food here was excellent. This is a great place to start your day with breakfast too. We paid in the $25 - $30 range for breakfast and lunch. There is an "All Inclusive" deal available but we opted for paying for our meals so we could explore other places. There is a little restaurant named Celeste about 100 yards down the road from the hotel on the opposite side. Excellent food and very nice owners. We also ate at the Thirsty Turtle one night. I had a Pepperoni Pizza and my wife had lobster. Both were very good. Wednesday night we went to West End and ate at The Lighthouse. We both had a lobster Dinner and a special Margarita. I made the mistake of adding a 20% tip to the bill without reviewing it. The owner came over to me to give me my change back but I told him that the service and food was excellent and the change was his. It wasn't till later on that evening that I realized that the tip had already been included in the bill. These guys thought I was real generous. I found this to be the practice in all the restaurants so, review your check carefully.During our stay we went on the Dolphin excursion and loved it. We also rented a car and driver and explored the whole island. We went to the East end and checked out several of the other resorts and confirmed that we had made the right choice with Infinity Bay.

When you get a cab, haggle about the rate. They will immediately come down to reality. I inquired about the rate to West End out in front of Infinity Bay and the driver told me $15. I told him nevermind and walked away. He immediately called out that he would take us for $10.
Our one bedroom condo was fine for two people. There was a little wear & tear showing but, I guess that can be attributed to the condo owners willingness to maintain the unit. The shower did not drain properly and filled up to almost overflow. This gave us an incentive to take quick showers. The sliding door to the front terrace was cracked when we arrived. We reported it to the front desk and they said someone would take are of it right away. It was still cracked when we left. When we arrived we were told that the microwave did not work and a replacement was due any minute. That was never replaced either. We had a TV in the bedroom and were very comfortable but, I would have liked a TV in the living room as well.

Overall, we loved our stay at Infinity Bay and are already planning a return trip. I highly recommend it.
Enjoy!

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (357)
Northern Ontario
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 5, 2013 via mobile

Just returned last night, had a great time with great friends,the resort is beautiful, rooms are amazing, staff are terrific. We were with Sunwing, and their "all inclusive", plan,,, this was an eye opener. The food was fabulous, you were always guaranteed chicken, fish, pork,,,and very very tasty, no complaints there, but and this is a Sunwing issue I think, the snacks that were supplied to the Sunwing guests were very very sparse, left out in the hot sun, and always running out. Anyone with a red arm band (indicationg AI) were given service last, no matter hw much we tipped, and this seemed to be under the direction of some very loud mouthed cigar smoking man that doted on the more elite group? The Sunwing rep was only there part time, not very informative, I have always heard horror stories about Sunwing, but really wanted to to to infinity bay, when we start vacation shopping next year, I will be making sure Sunwing won't be getting my money
The rooms are the resort are gorgeous, water is drinkable, air conditioning is great,snorkelling is terrific, water is warm and clear, there is no gift shop on the resort, but the mini mall is literally 5 min walk, and very safe walk, this is also where the ATM is located (none on the resort)
The spa is not open yet, and there doesn't seem to be a completion date, again, SUNWING should be informing their clients of this...
There are no activities during the day so if our looking for beach volleyball, pool volleyball, pool activities of any sort there are none, BUT if you are looking for a quiet, paradise on earth this is the place for you,,,
Would go back in a heart beat if SUNWING had nothing to do with it
If anyone wants more info feel free too email me,,,,
northern1@hotmail.com

Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
Midland, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 4, 2013

If you've been there, you'll get it. There's a guy who walks along the beach selling banana donuts, and his pitch is .... unique. A good memory of the resort.

This is a condo complex where Sunwing (maybe others?) use vacant condos in an all-inclusive plan. It's not perfect, but it works okay. The rooms are very nicely furnished, good quality furniture and appliances. Don't bother with the $3 per bottle bottled water in the room; just use the filtered water from the frig. The main buffet is quite limited in scope, but I never went hungry. Sometimes the food was unbelieveably good, other times it was quite okay; only once was breakfast a bit lacking. Still a passing grade to me.

The wait staff in the buffet were friendly and attentive. Couldn't ask for better. This was in sharp contrast to the bartenders at the beach bar who were almost invariably VERY slow and grudgingly friendly. (Two noteable exceptions: Josh and Ian) One bartender in Cuba can serve 50 drinks in the time it would take 5 of these guys to serve 10. Not impressed. Tipping seemed to have little effect.

The diving was great right in front of the resort. It was a bummer to see some (*&^%% from one of the cruise ships stomping the crap out of the reef, but they have guys in kayaks patrolling the shallows for just such things, and this particular buffoon was soon educated.

If you are interested in spearing lionfish, talk to Avi the resort activity coordinator. He's Canadian, a freediver, and hugely helpful, informative, and resourceful. He set us up with a driver for a private taxi tour of the island, which was a real education in the varied and colorful history of the island. I had wondered if all the English being spoken was just because the Americans had flooded the island, but found out it's because of the history of British colonialism and piracy. You'd never know you were in an officially spanish speaking country.

There is no spa, by the way......it's still under construction.

Room Tip: Less privacy on the first floor, and no view of anything at all on the first floor "B" roo...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Ontario
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 4, 2013

My husband and I just returned from Infinity Bay Spa and Resort. Okay, so there is NO spa. The complex is fairly new and is well kept. The units are nicely furnished and the bed was comfortable. We were on the first floor, so forget any privacy. We did ask to be moved but realized after 3 days to just let it go. It wouldn't have been a huge issue except for the fact that the blinds never closed properly or just simply malfunctioned. Nice kitchen, but we never intended to cook for ourselves. The units are owned privately and rented out, either privately or through Sunwing. The food was so hit and miss. One day I had the best chimichurri sauce I have ever tasted and then the last day there, all we had to choose from was egg soup (uncooked scrambled eggs). The liquor was lousy unless you paid $6 per drink. If you wanted the a la carte it was American style food on the beach. If you just wanted a light mid-day snack... too bad, you had to pay for it. So, if you are looking for true all inclusive, this is not it.
The beach is very nice but very busy. Many vendors trying to hawk their wares. It reminded me a little of Puerta Plata in the DR. The buildings are all really close to the water and really crammed beside each other. Shade is almost impossible to find with all the building that has gone on in recent years. The snorkeling is phenomenal literally right off the beach. So much live coral and sea life. The cruise ships come in and the place is like people soup. Everyone wants to snorkel and we saw tons of people standing on the coral and breaking it up. It was a really sad sight to see. The problem is that this treasure is going to be dead in no time with the abuse.
We took a private island tour and at $65pp it was just okay. We would have been better off renting our own vehicle. It was nice to have a guide and give us a little background.
There are small restaurants and shops behind the resort that are worth looking at and I would highly recommend dinner at Vintages beside Bananarama.
I travel a lot but don't see myself going back any time soon.

Room Tip: Upper floors are more private and less bugs. Also, closer to the water has less road noise.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Vittoria, Ontario
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 4, 2013

We stayed at Infinity Bay the week of February 18 to February 25th. E-mailed the resort before our trip and asked a couple of questions and got a response back from Denise and she offered our 3 couples a free upgrade to a beach front 3 bedroom villa, which was amazing - almost 2600 square feet with our own rooms and bathrooms and beautiful kitchen, etc. Thanks Denise we truly enjoyed our stay in that Villa. The snorkeling was amazing right off the beach...went everyday. The food was amazing at the buffet and also at the beach bar. The beach was beautiful and the people extremely friendly. Went into West End on Friday by boat taxi and felt completely safe and talked to many of the locals in town and alot of people who had moved there from Canada or the United States and had businesses there. The drinks were really good also, expecially the monkey la la and the beer was great.
We met Rick the manager and he always asked if everything was okay and was more than willing to help with anything if he could. We also met Tommy a Sales Manager there and he was really nice also and told us some good things to do and was always there with a smile and hello.
I can`t really say anything negative about the place except for they are working out a few perks such as a little slow room cleaning.....but after all it is island life.....get there fast and take it slow.....that`s what it`s all about.
I would definitely go back to Roatan and Infinity Bay!

Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Ridgewood, New Jersey
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 3, 2013

we stayed there from Feb. 17 to Feb. 22. Loved the hotel, the beach, the island and the people. Nice restaurants nearby. Loved the snorkeling experience right off the beach at the hotel. Don't need to go with the Acqua Center which promised to take you on a boat and snorkel somewhere else. It was not worth it. Will definitely go back to Roatan.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
Bothell, Washington, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 2, 2013

My wife and I had the most incredible destination wedding at Infinity Bay Resort in late January. The events coordinator, Grace, took care of every last detail and ensured we had a fantastic beach wedding. She was actively engaged with us for months helping to coordinate and plan every last detail and ensured that it all was perfect on our special day.

All of the staff at Infinity Bay were friendly and made us feel like family. Oscar and Josue did a fantastic job with the food and catering services for our ceremony, we couldn't be happier with how everything turned out. Our wedding guests were blown away by the spectacular performances of the band (Kristopher) and the fire show (Paul) and the Garifunas.

If you want to have an amazing beach wedding experience with excellent value, this is the place to do it. The West Bay Beach is fantastic, I have traveled all around Asia and Europe and Central America and this is by far the most impressive white sand beach with LIVING coral only 100 feet away from shore! In fact, I was snorkeling with my wife only hours before the ceremony while Grace took care of all the details in the morning.

The pool is top notch, and the swim-up Palapa Bar can make you any drink or food dish you like. Oscar runs a great bar, and the kitchen is happy to prepare any dish for you and will even grill up some fresh-caught whole snapper (island style of course!). The Resort is not all-inclusive unless you are booked through a specific Canadian tour company (Sun Wings).

This is just fine, since there are many great restaurants all along the beach or in nearby West End, which is just a short boat ride away. IB is the best property on West Bay beach right now, and the rooms are American standard condos with granite tops and appliances. It's like being at home! We preferred to enjoy our time on the balcony overlooking the beach. We made a trip to the grocery store in Coxen Hole, and stocked up on the necessities (wine, beer, snacks). I suggest you stop by the grocery store and stock up before you arrive to the Resort, as it can be pretty pricey to buy grocery items once you are at West Bay.

I would suggest you pay the extra money to get a room facing pool or beach and with a balcony with a view. The closer to the beach, the cooler it will be, so keep that in mind if you are booking during hotter season.

There are a few minor areas that IB could improve. I think that the front desk folks do get overloaded at times when there are many guests checking-in or out. Most of the time they are helpful, but sometimes get confused on the billing or room reservations, and we had to work with them to make adjustments to our room and bill a couple of times. It was resolved without issue in a friendly way, so not too much of an issue in the end. I would suggest you make sure to have all of your booking confirmed via email and call ahead to confirm before arrival.

We WILL return to IB and are planning next Christmas already!

Room Tip: Get rooms that face the pool or the beach. If hotter season, try to get rooms closer to beach, as t...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Infinity Bay Spa and Beach Resort? Share your experiences!