“Amazing Beach, Great Resort, Iffy service” 4 of 5 stars

Announcement
Book now!!
Ranked #3 of 12 Hotels in West Bay
Kitchener, Canada
“Amazing Beach, Great Resort, Iffy service”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 15, 2013

We stayed at IB from Christmas Eve until January 7th, 2012. We were on the ground floor in building 4, right beside the pool. Perfect spot for our 8 year old daughter as she loved the pool.

After considering VRBO and Sunwing, we found ended up going with Sunwing spending $100 less for each person and had everything included!

We opted out of the bus from the airport and went with AtYourService Concierge Service with Sue-Anne. Her driver picked us up from the airport (even from way behind the line at customs) with our bags and we were at the resort in under 30 minutes from hitting the tarmac! We even had Sue-Anne pick up some groceries for us - with a full kitchen in the room, it was a worthwhile service.

Then we got to the resort.

As we arrived first, we expected little Chaos in the lobby with 100 + people arriving. We were offered drinks, checked in and told that our room was not ready (to be expected on turnover days). However, our bags were left outside in the heat. Including our groceries. I pointed this out to Rick who had offered his card as the Resort GM. He offered to have someone take care of it - but after 45 minutes when I came to check on the status of our room, our bags remained outside unaccompanied. Very frustrating, the GM gave me his hand, card and assurance that it would all be taken care of, it wasn't.

The room was ready in a couple of hours, and it was great. Exactly like the pictures suggest. Our A/C worked so well we had to turn it down. Even right beside the pool, the noise was never an issue.

The Sofa bed was adequate, but definitely could use an overhaul. As we used the front patio door to access the suite from the pool, it was annoying that the blinds kept falling out of the guides. Compared to other places we have stayed, we are really nitpicking here.

The beach and reef are what make West Bay and this resort is one some of the easiest and best snorkeling water. Infact, when there are cruise ship days, the big snorkeling charter brings cruisewrs front of IB to snorkel. The water was mostly clear and calm (protected by the reef) even though we had some high wind and raining mornings. Although I didn't dive, the snorkeling is the best I have seen anywhere. If you are a strong swimmer, you can directly access 2-3km of reef within 30 feet of the beach at IB.

The buffet was very high quality. Having a restricted diet, I had some concerns and figured we would be using our kitchen more. Not at all! Although the food was repetitive after two weeks, there was always a large variety of lettuces, vegetables and I had grilled fish made to order if the buffet only had fried fish or no fish.

The service in the buffet was amazing! Lanny, Larry and Oscar always did a great job to ensure we had everything we needed. The staff went out of their way to ensure you had impeccable service.

If IB could transplant the success of the Buffet Staff to the Palapa Bar and Restaurant, they would do very well. Sadly, the service was horrendous. Even with the rail line 1-2 deep, you should never have to wait more then 15 minutes for a drink. Yet that happened even when it was not that busy at the bar. A couple of times we opted to go to the Banarama and pay for a beer/drink as it was much faster and beer is relatively cheap. I think the Sunwing'rs get second rate treatment at the bar, if you hide your bracelet and put some us $ in your hand you may have more success.

Although we heard mixed reviews about the service at the Palapa Bar, our experience was not good. 30 minutes just to be served menus. 90 minutes to get food, not the place to eat with a young child. The food was ok, but not worth the wait/ bad service.

What this place needs is a good food/beverage manager that can manage the flow and ensure service. There are plenty of places on the beach to get great service, drinks and food, even if you have the all-inclusive - get off the resort and live a little!

The resort is very clean, safe and most of the staff is very cordial and friendly. The apartment style rooms are the best I have ever seen at a Caribbean resort. The pool is great and the beach front is spectacular.

Although the service was hit and miss, it wouldn't stop us from returning to the resort and are planning on going back.

Wifi is spotty, some rooms have it some don't. The bar and lobby do have it. However, it seemed that every room has wired internet so bringing a router should provide wifi in your room.

The resort is the best located resort in West Bay, in front of the best section of beach/reef. It is does not have a disco or activity planners like an all inclusive. If you are looking for planned activities, beach parties and drinking contests... this is NOT the place for you.

If you are looking for a great beach, calm waters, reefs, North American standard accommodations and room amenities, a wonderful pool, high quality food and don't mind putting up with hit and miss service, then this IS the place for you.

Room Tip: There is no Gym, buy for $5 you can use the gym at the Henry Morgan down the beach.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (340)
Tecumseh, Ontario, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 15, 2013

We just returned from Roatan after a 7 day visit with family and friends. Words cannot clearly express what a wonderful time we had. The staff at Infinity is bar none, the best we have ever experienced. The atmosphere and size of the complex made it a perfect fit! We are planning our next visit, but not soon enough...... cheers and thank you for a lifetime of memories.

Room Tip: all the rooms are beautiful, from the studio rooms to the 2 bedroom villas. clean, modern with all t...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
Chateauguay, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 15, 2013

This vacation was the greatest one my husband and I ever had, the service was great and the food was to die for and of course the beautiful beach was amazing, we are definitely going back and the staff was outstanding, oh and my husband loved the bottled beer.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Newmarket, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 14, 2013

Our family of four - daughter aged 12, son aged 8, my wife and I - stayed in a 2-BR condo from Dec. 17-24. The quality of the service was the finest we have ever experienced in the Caribbean. Everyone was friendly and reached out frequently to see what they could do to make our stay more enjoyable. The dining room staff were always pleasant, even when under pressure on those few occasions when everyone showed up at the same time. Top marks for the General Manager, Rick, who has done a superlative job in overseeing the training of the staff and ensuring that all problems are addressed promptly and pleasantly. As for the all-inclusive component, the main course selection was limited to 4-5 items (plus side-dishes) but the quality was consistently outstanding. The beach was fabulous. A few people apparently had problems with sand fly bites while we were there but regular use of oil-based, natural repellents will prevent that nuisance. Snorkeling was awesome and the dive staff at Infinity Bay were very thorough and helpful. Our condo unit was well-maintained. The pool was clean and there was never a problem finding a lounge chair. When we had a problem with our in-room safe, a repairman arrived and resolved the problem within minutes of our call. We strongly recommend the Sandblaster Dune Buggy excursion...a great way to experience fabulous views and to get a little muddy in the process. Victor Bodden's Monkey Business is also a worthwhile side-trip as you get to go inside the cages and interact with the spider monkeys and the parrots. If you're into partying and are seeking the type of entertainment typically found in most all-inclusive resorts, Infinity Bay may not be your best choice (although a nightclub is apparently being added in the near future). But for anyone seeking a relaxing, laid-back vacation with great food, great service and one of the best beaches you'll ever find, Infinity Bay should make anybody's Top Ten list. We will definitely be returning.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Leesburg, Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 14, 2013

Have been on 5 cruises so far to Eastern, Bahamas, and Western Caribbean and Roatan ranks as our best port because of the experience we had at this resort. I am not sure if the rooms are good enough for me recommend a stay here. From outside, it doesn't look like a luxury resort but the pool and the beach with great shore snorkeling is as good as it gets for a day of heavenly relaxation.

There are lot of water sport rides available right at the spot and we enjoyed Banana boat ride several times. Also, the snorkeling was more than decent and food was great for one meal. Lots of coconut trees provide shade to relax and locals offer massage for around $20/hour. Nothing like professionals but good enough to get you relaxed.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled with family
Boston
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 14, 2013

Don't get me wrong, the resort, pool, and beach are fantastic. Unfortunately, the hospitality and customer service were horrendous!
I believe the staff were kind and as helpful as they could be. But, other than that I think there's many issues with upper management and training. I go on vacation to relax, eat good food, and hopefully enjoy myself. We've been to many other hotels and I'd have to say these guys are the most inconsiderate I've ever seen.
It began the moment we landed in Roatan. Our son became terrible ill upon descent into Honduras. He was inconsolable. Trust me if you were there at the airport you'd remember us. Infinity Bay who promised they'd be there to transport us, never came or showed. We were left at the airport for 2 hrs with my son screaming and crying in pain.. After numerous calls and no help, we didn't know where to turn. Finally some random gentleman felt bad enough for us! Our son was very sick, and thankfully this person was kind of enough to help us. It was obvious they weren't coming! So what does management say when we arrive, nothing! Here's free breakfast at our overpriced buffet! And oh sorry but your room you payed for is not available. They quickly forget you spend $2000 a week for a room! How unprofessional to be constantly yessing you to death with no follow through. We had to call for linens for our sick child 3 times over a 2hr span. Only to be told 3 different times that it was coming! This was the same for any requests! From no washcloths ,no wi/fi, to our room change.
Well, 3 days later after getting the run around on our room which was suppose to be 2nd floor premium ocean, I confronted the "GM". Who then proceeded to Bs me about my room saying i never paid for that particular room and that it was considered OF. Then he says "oh yeah your the ones we left at the airport..."we'll setup a private ride back to the airport when your leaving." Once again, 3 days later which was the day before we left I physically had to flag Rick down. Just like with everything else, He totally forgot us again! This is supposedly the kind of service you should expect from Infinity Bay!! Well, Rick did come through, that private ride was in some random dudes broken down toyota ,with his 3yr old son in the font seat, and our luggage on top of him!! THANKS INFINITY BAY!

Room Tip: Don't pay for oceanfront unless you wanna stare at Palm trees
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
Rick2959, General Manager at Infinity Bay Spa and Beach Resort, responded to this review, January 15, 2013
Dear Wesco

With all due respect in response to you and the content of your review,

To all the readers of this review its very important everyone knows, at Infinity Bay we have a passion for hospitality and we don't just work it...we live it!

Soon as I was informed about your situation I went looking for you to discuss your situation to ensure you were having a good time and everything was resolved.....you did-not confront me, I found you. Your room had been upgraded to a beachfront unit, given free breakfast at our buffet and we offered private transportation back to the airport. In addition we offered you several other options as well. You were very happy and appreciative and everything seemed fine. Every time i saw you around the resort I asked how everything was going and you always responded great and thank you very much....we even offered to bring in a doctor at our expense for your sick child - which i strongly suggested you do as I was worried about their wellbeing.

We are all truly sorry you did enjoy our services at Infinity Bay but if we would have known before your posting it would have been addressed.

Happy New Year

Rick Kolinsky
GM and VP, Infinity Bay Resort
Toronto
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 14, 2013

We spent a week at IB, as part of the first Sunwing group out of Toronto. Prior to traveling, I emailed about upgrading to a 2-bedroom (which wasn't an option on the Sunwing site at the time). They responded after a few days saying they didn't have our reservation yet (they don't get the list from Sunwing until two weeks out?). I emailed again, closer to our departure, and never heard back. Asked again at check-in. No response. Husband asked again and was told to ask again the next day because the hotel as "full". After a day there, seeing many dark rooms, we knew this was obviously not the case. So either there's no process to upgrade, they couldn't be bothered, or Sunwing is assigned specific rooms. (Many of them were at the back of the property, some looking over the construction site). In any case, they/Sunwing need to readjust.

Otherwise, check-in was fast, we were entertained by the beat of Garifuna musicians and served fruit punch. The new lobby was still a work in progress, but is spacious and nicely decorated. It was interesting to watch the final touches (new furniture, art) falling into place over the week.

Our room was what we expected from pictures. Nice kitchen with all the amenities, separate bedroom and balcony overlooking the garden. Bed was ok (hard IMO, but realize that's personal preference). There was a musty smell that went away after a day of open windows. The safe was locked, but that was fixed quickly by a nice maintenance guy. The housekeeper did a great job cleaning around all our stuff.

It rained a LOT our first five days. No one's fault except my own - knew it was rainy season when we booked. (FYI, was told March-July were best months). The bugs were out in full force, so bring repellent. When the sun finally came out, it was spectacular. Like others have said, the grounds are lovely. Gardeners work their tails off. The pool is also great and well-suited for kids with a good size shallow area. The beach is about a kilometer long and steps from amazing (best I've ever experienced) snorkeling. The water was wavy at first, but when it calmed, it was like a swimming pool. The vendors on the beach are persistent. IB's beach is small, the loungers are packed tightly. It's the perfect spot for snorkeling, not so much if you want to relax. More space around the pool.

Thought the front desk and beach bar service could be better. Hit or miss depending on who you got. Both could take lessons from the restaurant staff, who were exceptional.

A couple of highlights.. Avi hooked us up with a guide named Marco who took us on an island tour. He was fantastic, friendly, full of Roatan history and interesting stories. If you want to get to know the island, I highly recommend Marco.

The best thing about IB was our experience at the new restaurant. It's not like those huge AI places (thank goodness) with mass quantities of ho-hum food. Food was fresh, healthy and they will jump over hot coals to give you what you want - so make sure to tell them. Husband said "wish there was yogurt". The next day, there it was. For those traveling with children, they go out of their way to deliver. Lany, Alex and the crew threw a birthday dinner for our daughter that we will remember for a long time. They were the sunshine on a rainy vacation.

Overall I'd say go, experience Roatan and IB for its many upsides and bring your bug spray, a flashlight (power goes out a few times a day) and maybe rain gear. It is beautiful, people are great and it's a bargain. For now.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family

Been to Infinity Bay Spa and Beach Resort? Share your experiences!