“Infinity Bay review” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #2 of 11 hotels in West Bay
Simi Valley, California
“Infinity Bay review”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 23, 2012

First off I have to say I have never written a review before but felt that Infinity Bay was worth my time. From our first call to reservation to our check out we felt very welcomed. Josha and Mauricio in reservations answered many questions from us before we decided to book. Their helpful attitudes made our decision very easy. Our two bedroom 2 Bath room was perfect for us and another couple. Very clean and well decorated with beautiful mahogany furniture. Did I say how nice everybody is in Roatan? The grounds were spotless and were beautifully landscaped. When the new reception building is finished that will put it over the top. The restaurant food was delicious along with having your toes in the sand made it very special. Again did I say how friendly everyone was? It is a beautiful walk along the beach to many other bars and restaurant. All had fabulous foods. As divers we found the water to be amazing. Filled with beautiful corals and fish. When we weren’t diving we spent time right in front of the hotel snorkeling. Again just beautiful and warm water. We want to thank everybody at Infinity Bay that made our vacation so special. We look forward to our next visit. Did I say how friendly everybody was????? Lori and Rick Simi Valley California

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends

1,039 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (318)
Candle Lake, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 21, 2012

September 21st, 2012

How does one define paradise? Blue skies? Crystal clear turquoise water? Warm gentle tropical breezes? Untouched coral reefs? At Infinity Bay Resort on the island of Roatan, Honduras you get all of this but so much more.

The resort is located on West Bay, the best beach on the island with the coral reef swimming distance for fantastic snorkeling.

My husband Forrest and I had the privilege of staying at Infinity Bay for January, February, and March 2012. The resort runs as smoothly as a well oiled machine due to the exemplary management skills of Rick Kolinsky.

Your first impression is set by the front office staff who accommodate any of your needs from locating a dentist or arranging a car rental. There is a library of books in the office based on “a take one, leave one principle.”

The condo units are cleaned, linens and towels changed on a regular schedule. The resort had it’s own water purification plant so water is drinkable from the tap. The fridges have ice makers so you never run out of ice for your tasty rum based beverages. If you encounter any maintenance issues the maintenance staff respond immediately.

The grounds are constantly being groomed and the buildings sprayed for any insects. The infinity pool is magnificent and carefully monitored for chlorine content and proper filtration. Beach towels are supplied daily and the beach loungers are in excellent condition. For those days when you don’t want to cook, there is a restaurant by the beach which serves wonderful meals, provides room service or will bring your meal to the beach or by the pool. To insure your safety there are security personal on duty twenty four hours a day.

After you visit Roatan and fall in love with Infinity Bay Resort many individuals want to own a place of their own. The sales staff for the condo units are a knowledgeable, personable group of individuals who will guide you effortlessly through the purchasing process.

Forrest and I have traveled extensively throughout the world and we can honestly say that of all the places we have been to, Infinity Bay Resort and the way it is run has left a lasting five star impression with us.

Yours truly,
Beverley and Forrest Fitzpatrick
Candle Lake, Saskatchewan

• Stayed January 2012, traveled as a couple
Comayagua, Honduras
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 15, 2012

We stayed three nights in condo 1809 and everything was pretty much perfect. The room was exactly as described and was spotless. Everything in the room worked, including the wireless internet. With probably one very minor exception, the Infinity Bay staff all had great attitudes and helped make our stay enjoyable. The pool was great, as is the bar and restaurant, and you cant beat this end of West Bay Beach. Management was accessible and helpful and went out of their way to make sure our stay was a good one. I'll be going back to the IB!

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Bowie, Maryland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 11, 2012

The room we stayed in was everything the photos showed. Very spacious, very upscale, at least per my standards. Pool is huge and wonderful and the grounds were very nice, located right on the beach.

Construction on the new spa and reception area is still ongoing as of early September 2012, despite claims on the website that it would be done by mid-2012. However, I wasn't planning on using the spa and the construction did not disrupt my stay in any way.

Food is good; a little pricey, perhaps, but that's probably to be expected.

The only caution I have is to beware of some of the excursions they offer. The prices they give are generally higher than those offered on the beach by locals or even by adjacent competing resorts. We did do the parasailing through Infinity Bay, and while it was enjoyable, Infinity Bay did not meet the specifications it describes. Our primary beef was that it said that trips are 1 hour and are limited to 6 people. On our boat, they allowed 8 people. While we fit fine, they did not extend the trip beyond an hour to make up for the time difference for each pair in the air, so essentially we were shorted our time - we only got about 5 minutes in the air.

Other than the parasailing issue, we had a great time. We would definitely recommend it and come back, though we would probably think twice about participating in events offered through the resort.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Rick2959, General Manager at Infinity Bay Spa and Beach Resort, responded to this review, September 13, 2012
Thank you very much for taking the time to share your experience. The entire staff is proud that you had a great vacation at Infinity Bay and we look forward to your return as you are now part of the family.
I’m sorry you had a problem with an activity but I can assure you that this incredibly rare. If anyone at the resort would have known of your dissatisfaction with the parasail you would have received a 100% refund. Next time you come back please accept an excursion on us!
Thanks again!

Rick Kolinsky
Canberra, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 9, 2012

We did not stay at this hotel so we did not see the accommodations. Rather, we spent the day at the resort relaxing by the pool side bar and swimming on the private beach. From what I saw of the local area, the Infinity is a stand-out resort. The pool area is very nicely maintained and guests can relax in their in comfort and style, or alternatively, there is a nice private beach right at the front of the Hotel. The beach/pool side bar is a great place to unwind with drinks and snacks - the view out on to the beach and seafront is very tranquil. Access to the resort facilities is well controlled by resort security staff. As we enjoyed our visit to the Resort very much - we would have been happy to have been able to spend more time there. A few days would have been lovely and relaxing.

Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Raleigh, North Carolina
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 5, 2012

Great vacation with the boys , we stayed at the three bedroom villa, great view from the balcony the boys smoking shisha and drinking hot tea looking at the water. People over in Roatan are nice and hospitable. the elevator wasn't working though and we were on the top floor, when we asked the front desk about fixing it twice and it didn't get fixed we know it will never be fixed.
The scuba diving was absolutely awesome can't wait to do do that again.

Room Tip: spend the xtra bucks and get the ocean front villa its worth it just for the seen from the balcony
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled with friends
Bay Area
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2012

I found out about Roatan randomly. It isn't as well-known as some of the vacation spots nearby--Costa Rica, DR, the Virgin Islands, etc. However, it is seriously SUCH an untapped treasure and Infinity Bay is probably the best place you could stay on the island--I am so happy that we found this place (thanks to Googling "good vacation spots for August" and Groupon for having the Infinity Bay deal) and I would love to go back one day and do it all again. We were there for 8 days, but could've happily stayed a month. Here's a breakdown of the trip...

The Resort Itself: B+
While Infinity Bay has some tiny kinks that it needs to work out before it can be considered 5 star (ie. we had to wait an hour to check-in, little amenities like toothbrushes and razors are not provided, wireless internet is patchy, water pressure in the shower is medium at best, the lock on our sliding door stayed broken even after we mentioned the door handle was falling off twice to the front desk) it also is run more like an intimate and private living experience as opposed to an impersonal chain hotel.

The staff was always super friendly and helpful, particularly at the reception desk. The room was thoroughly cleaned every day; we stayed in a 1-bedroom villa and found the accommodations very spacious and comfortable (full kitchen, comfortably furnished living room, lovely wooden carved furniture, ceiling fans as well as powerful AC, balcony with a decent view even though we were in building 18). The entire grounds are not too huge either, so even if you are in the furthest back building it literally will take you 3 minutes to get to the beach and the whole time you're walking through IB's lovely lawns and pool area, so it's seriously not a problem.

The Restaurant: A
La Palapa is the hotel restaurant and bar. It’s situated right between the infinity pool and the beach. Yes sometimes the service could be sort of slow, but to be honest, when you’re sitting next to the ocean with a light breeze, eating great food, and having well-priced cocktails you are NOT going to be in a rush. Something I read in someone else’s review was that you have to go in being prepared that Roatan in general runs on island, laid-back time, so don’t feel the need to rush things, just go with the flow. I think this was very helpful for me personally since I’m typically such a go-go-go type person. Anyways, overall I really liked the food at the restaurant and the vibe was always super friendly and cool.

If by chance you want a different taste however, there’s a sandwich shop down the road that’s like Subway called the Hungry Monkey, food at the nearby hotel/bars like Bananarama and Mayan Princess, and restaurants in West End or at other places on the island that could take a cab to.

Excursions: A++
When I was planning this vacation with my boyfriend I said I wanted waterfalls, ziplining, dolphins, and warm ocean with blue skies. Well 3 out of 4 aint bad. If you want waterfalls, go to Hawaii, if you want everything else, come here. (Also, we weren’t certified, but from what we heard from other people, diving in Roatan is pretty awesome.)

Doing all the cool things we did on the island would seriously not have been possible without Avi D’Souza, the hotel activities director. This guy knew what was going on at all times and was everywhere all at once—he knew what days would be good for certain activities, which places were best to book them with, what time shuttles would be coming and if they would be a little late, and who wanted to do what. I really don’t know how he could possibly keep track of everyone at the hotel, but I feel like he really knew every group well and took the time to be out at the restaurant every day getting to know the guests and their needs. You can also start planning your excursions with him before you get to Roatan through email (posted on Infinity Bay’s website), and he’ll be super prompt about writing back as well.

Anyways, he set us up with the dolphin encounter and snorkel at Anthony’s Key. (An IB shuttle driver will take you there AND bring you back for no extra charge—although I have to say, please tip these guys. They’re so nice and so reliable, have some lempira on you so you can show your appreciation for them.) Best experience we had on the island. The encounter is cute, but the snorkel is AWESOME, and we lucked out so it was just my bf and I in there with about 20 dolphins including two newborns swimming about. SUCH an incredible time.

Avi also suggested ziplining at South Shore. While Gumbalimba Park has more animals and is better suited for families, South Shore has some animals as well and allows you to do cool tricks on your zipline. We didn’t do Gumbalimba, so I can’t say anything more about it, but the guys at South Shore were fun, it was safe, and we had some awesome views of the ocean while doing some decently high-speed and very high-up lines. Also, it’s all cable, no ropes, so don’t worry about that.

Finally, we did the half day sail which luckily did end up going out because the charters depend on having enough people as well as good wind for the day. Avi kept us updated on whether or not it would happen, and was able to schedule us in the day he found out that it was in fact taking place. We went on a large catamaran called the Stray Cat. It had an open bar, lunch and fruit skewers, a fun crew, made 2 snorkel stops out from the coast, lasted about 4 hours, and overall we were SO glad we did it.

Again, I have to mention that we wouldn’t have been able to do all the great stuff we did without Avi making all of our reservations with the outside vendors, planning shuttles, and giving us all the 411 on the details of the excursions. We can’t thank him enough for all the ways in which he made our trip so fantastic!

The Beach: A++++
This is IB’s selling point. Not only do they have an awesome, warm infinity pool that looks out at the ocean, but they are right on the beach, and the BEST part of the beach. My boyfriend and I took walks down the West Bay coast every day or night and the sand by IB is the cleanest and softest by far, the water the clearest, and accessibility to the reef is AWESOME. Infinity Bay provides towels and lounge chairs and even rents out snorkel gear, so you could literally be on that beach all day long and not get bored. There’s awesome reef only 5 minutes out (swimming) and there is SO much to see—all kinds of fish, all kinds of coral (including some awesome brain coral), sea turtles if you’re lucky and go to the right spots, and all kinds of plant life. The water is crystal clear and it’s just so much fun to be in that ocean every day.

Local Culture: B
The only reason this isn’t an A is because you have to take the water taxi or a cab to get somewhere to do non-beach stuff. Luckily our Groupon covered water taxi rides for the whole week we were there, but it does stop running at 9:30pm so the nights that we partied in West End were usually $20 cab rides back to the hotel.

West End has the cool bars and some good places to eat. Protip: Get the Ravioli Aragosta (lobster ravioli) at Splash Inn and your tastebuds and tummy will thank you for the REST OF YOUR LIFE. I’m not exaggerating. Seriously. Great price too.

For souvenirs for family and friends we went up to Coxen Hole (the store was called Yaba Ding Ding) and the little shop down the street from Infinity Bay—I think it’s called Penny’s? If you’re looking for some pretty, cheap, hand-crafted bracelets or scarves sold on the side of the road like in India, however, you probably won’t find ‘em in Roatan. The only people who buy that stuff is tourists so they know they can charge you an arm and a leg, thus buyer beware. Just take your family home some sand in a bottle or a picture of you enjoying yourself.

The People: A+
I’m putting this separate from culture because it really deserves its own grade. Everyone we met—be they hotel staff, islanders, ex-pats who now live on the island, shuttle drivers, waiters, or other tourists out in West End—were great. Luckily Avi introduced us to some people on the island as well, but honestly everyone has this sense of camaraderie in Roatan. It isn’t a big place, so a lot of people know each other, the vibe all over the island is chill and laid back, and people just have a good time.

The Weather/Bugs: A
Sun, humid, hot. Go in the ocean or pool and have a drink, you’re all good. We were there from August 16th-23rd and had not one day of rain or t-storms like Accuweather thought we would. Sun went down at about 6:30 every day. Every night however we got to watch this awesome light show, lightening over Belize or somewhere on the mainland off in the distance, but never had to hear thunder.

Also, here are FOUR THINGS THAT WILL SAVE YOU: 1. Sunblock that’s at least SPF 50 (my boyfriend is half English so he basically burns under very bright lamps, had him block 2 or 3 times a day and he didn’t burn once while we were in Roatan) 2. Separate sunblock for your face (put it in on once or twice a day as well) 3. Insect repellant that’s at least 40% deet (you can get this at a sporting goods store like REI) and 4. Anti-itch cream for the sandflies that’ll get you at night. Put this on immediately and DON’T scratch, and your little welts should be gone by the next day.

Well that’s everything. Hope this helped, hope you go to Roatan, and hope you have as wonderful of a time as we did!

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Infinity Bay Spa and Beach Resort? Share your experiences!