“Henry Morgan” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Henry Morgan Resort

You added Henry Morgan Resort to your Saves list
Henry Morgan Resort
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   Carretera Pavimentada Ppal, West Bay Beach, West Bay, Honduras   |
Ranked #12 of 12 Hotels in West Bay
southwestern ontario
“Henry Morgan”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 20, 2014

The hotel was always clean and the staff very friendly. My biggest complaint was the smokers on the beach. You couldn't breathe beautiful ocean air for all the second hand smoke. It was horrible. I wish these people could see that their expiry date was closing in on the with all the smoke. You couldn't enjoy the outdoors for all the smoke.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (125)
  • Polish first
Digby, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 15, 2014

We have spent three successive vacations at the Henry Morgan Hotel and have chosen this as our permanent winter destination. This resort's best asset is the hotel Maitre de Jorge Servellon Martinez who makes you feel like family in the dining room. Jorge manages a staff of 20 and every one of them will go out of their way to ensure you enjoy your dining experience. They have the best smiles anywhere! There won't be any ice sculptures on the tables but the food is excellent and well prepared.

Beachfront at the Henry Morgan is fabulous. There are plenty of shady palm trees and always enough beach chairs. Beach staff are helpful too.

Most people visit Roatan to take advantage of the incredible snorkeling. It's the best snorkeling we've seen anywhere in the Caribbean - and it's accessible right off the beach. The water is usually always calm and clear.

This is not a four star hotel but exceptionally good value for the very modest price of accommodation. Highly recommended!
Valerie Wilson

• Stayed February 2014, traveled with family
Mississauga, Ontario, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 8, 2014

Came back from Henry Morgan on March 3rd from a week long vacations.Overall your vacations are what you make of them so if you expect 5 stars then pay for it ..and complain just for sake of it......I have no words of appreciation to Hotel Staff,starting from cleaning personnel to animation and kitchen.Only one thing I may complain is unfortunately visitors...yes us Canadian including......Why to leave cups and cigarette butts behind you every time you done for a beautiful day? When you come in the morning, the beach is raked for you and cleaned. Keep it this way, is this so hard ? Why wash your shoes and feet in the beautiful pool? (especially friends from Quebec,many times I had to make comment for those who used pool for that reason.....there two showers just before you enter the pool deck)...Cups and cups all over the lobby...why people make pictures of some missing things in the room...show something you leave behind...I picked up many times after others...just felt ashamed....Overall, thank you HM for being fantastic crew,shame for those who complained about food...home, you spend money and cook for yourself and nobody is assisting you with a great smile like George did ..so appreciate this. How about demanding an iron on vacation where formal clothes are not necessary...or coffee maker not being given int he rooms.... (believe it or not ) while coffee was served from 7:30 am in the restaurant...People, common sense and open mind will do miracles on your vacations.......Thank you Clara,Jenna, and the rest of animation crew for all your hard work and smiles....Will return to HM in a flash...

Room Tip: Rooms on the south corner are quieter.
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled with friends
Oshawa, Ontario, CANADA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 4, 2014

If you want the Royal York then stay at the Royal York. This all inclusive resort is listed as being a 3 1/2 star. It is clean and well kept. It is not a brand new place so don't expect it to look brand new. The food is fine. The Staff are excellent. The rooms are kept clean every day. Clean towels, lots of soap and shampoo, locking safe for those who are afraid of loosing the valuables that they decided to bring with them, wonderful pool and deck, great beach which is constantly being cared for (raked and cleaned). The resort was generally quiet. Looks like people come there to relax and not raise a ruckus. The were a couple of groups of people while we were there and they were all well behaved. Patrons are generally Canadian, French Canadian and Italian. Lots of staff speaking English. This is our third time there and have difficulty understanding the bad reviews. Some people can never be pleased. Excellent value, excellent snorkeling along the beach, This the first place we have ever repeated on our travels and expect to be back next year.

Welland, Ontario Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 2, 2014

This resort is rustic indeed....like going up north to a cottage....and wonderful because it isn't the large marble covered resorts I am used to going to. There are no beach view rooms at this resort. It was clean and the staff were amazing. They work hard every day...12 hours plus its crazy. The room was clean, had no hot water shortage, showering was like being power washed, pressure was fantastic. The washrooms are in need of updating but mine was not horrible. The maid staff kept our room sparkling clean. I loved the hardwood floors, and hammocks on the porches. The food was good, not a lot of variety BUT this is not a five star resort in the Dominican or Mexico. I always found something to eat that tasted great to me. The entertainment staff did its best to include all the guests in the festivities on the beach. Dance lessons, walking tours, volleyball, bacchii ball, daily drink testing, water aerobics the list goes on and on. The venders on the beach were not invasive they just walked along and if you were interested you stopped them, if not interested you said no thank you and they kept on their way. Crab races and fire show were amazing and a lot of fun. We zip lined on this trip and it was great value and loads of fun... $50.00 each for a cab ride and the zip lining along with a tour of the island...thought that was pretty reasonable. Weather was fantastic, rain on the day we arrived but otherwise clear and sunny and hot! Recommend taking water taxi to West End for 3.00 per person you cant beat it, its a short boat ride and you get a great view of the shore along the way. Snorkeling was awesome as well, free if you bring your own gear, you can do it right off the beach and its amazing. Lots of fish to see and the water is so clear you can stand it and see the fish. Beautiful. The beach is wonderful and we paid for our week to spend it on the beach, we spent the week resting and enjoying the water, sand and cold drinks... I am looking forward to going to Roatan again next year and hopefully it will be for two weeks. I will choose Henry Morgan Resort again as it is the relaxing and laid back place I was expecting. I did not order room service so I can not comment on that, nor did I use the spa services so again I can not comment on that.

Goderich, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 26, 2014

I will begin by saying that we have stayed here before and knew exactly what we were getting. I was a bit troubled by some of the reviews I read through January and thought that the hotel must have changed hands. It hadn't and we were as happy here this year as we were in 2011.

Nolitours carries this resort now rather than Sunwing, whom we travelled with in 2011.

No complaints with the air service really. We were missing one small bag upon our return but it contained non-essential items, and they will deliver it too our door. This can happen on any flight so I can't complain.

Check in at Pearson was smooth and stress free. A glass of wine was served on the flight down and back along with your typical airline fare. No complaints, we ate it and survived.

Arrival in Roatan, easy peasy. Bags were unloaded swiftly. Our was one of the last to spin around but it arrived no worries.

We were met by HM staff at the airport along with a Nolitour rep. We were guided to our bus and our luggage was loaded on a truck. Again no problem.

At the hotel we were greeted by front desk staff who arranged our room. Some rooms were not available, ours being one. Since we had been there before we wandered down to where our room was and found it to be ready. I went back out and advised the front desk that several rooms were ready. She called the head of housekeeping and confirmed this so we were given our keys. Several other received their keys at this time too. This was not too big a deal, please remember they do not communicate via computer like NA hotels do. Everything is a little more primitive than what we are used to here but remember where you are. Sadly it was pouring rain on our arrival so I am sure it dampened some guest's spirits. We changed and went right out to the beach, rain or not we didn't care. At least it was not snow. The rain eased a bit through the afternoon, showered again later in the evening but the skies cleared on Tuesday and we had a great week weather wise.

The room. Extremely clean and well kept by the housekeeping staff. I tipped them $2 per day US. I hope it was enough! My husband commented on how clean it smelled in the room after coming back from the beach. We dragged a ton of sand in each evening and the next day it was like we had not been to the beach. The bathrooms are dated there is no doubt. However everything worked and the gal who is writing this review showers outside in SW Ontario from May till October by choice so you can tell I am not fussy. Again the bathroom was spotlessly clean. The beds were made and decorated each day with lovely flowers and towels shaped into animals. They only give you one towel each. I like an extra for my hair so I got one off the cart and simply hung it to dry and reused it all week. I do that at home so why wouldn't I do it here?

The food: Fabulous! I did not peel a potato, stuff a chicken, wash and tear up lettuce, chop vegetables or bake a cake for 7 days. We ate everything every meal. Did not get sick and enjoyed each meal just fine. I sometimes wonder what people eat at home. I am a pretty good cook and have served many fabulous meals to lots of people. I found no problems with anything nor did my husband and we didn't have to wash a dish all week! Awesome! The wine was drinkable, not fancy but it worked. We drink wine at home with dinner every night. We do not buy expensive wine for our every day wine so this stuff worked for us. Last time here I bought a couple of bottles in town for my room but this time I simply got the bar tender to fill up a glass each night when I left the beach and I took it back to my room to enjoy while getting ready for dinner. I grabbed a wine glass from the dining room, kept it in my room and washed it out each night. No problem!

The Beach: Best I have ever been on in the Caribbean. We have travelled to at least 8 different islands including Mexico over the years. The Cruisers (as the locals call them) do make it busy but the Henry Morgan is on the far end of the beach away from them so it was no problem. Local people sell their goods up and down the beach and if you are not interested you simply say 'no thank you' and they move along. You would get that in Jamaica or Dominican, I found anyway.

The Reef: OMG unbelievable! We snorkelled at least twice every day. It is steps off the beach a short walk to your left facing the sea. We saw squid, lion fish, barracuda to name a few.

The Dive Team: TGI Divers. Lindy, Joan (John), Carol, Guilia (Julia), Michael. These young people made my trip. I was certified to SCUBA dive in 1979 and only have a few dives recorded. I have trouble with my ears and basically was a loser in terms of SCUBA diving. I am old now and these guys were similar age to my kids. I wanted so bad to do this. I went to see Carol and Joan and told them my story. They are from Spain and so we had some trouble with communication but they really speak pretty good English and we were able to communicate fairly well. I thought over my decision to dive and the next day I decided I was going to do it. Joan and Michael set me up with a video to watch and then did a refresher with me in the pool. I was pretty nervous as I had not done this for a long time. Pool was no sweat. Joan and I went from the pool to the shore and did an amazing shore dive. A lovely gentleman from Italy joined us. I felt very safe and very at ease in the water. My ears bothered me a bit but Joan was very patient and we took our time going down. I can't thank these young people enough for allowing me to check something off my bucket list! Michael shared some information about a resort in Spain that I would love to visit some day. I will be looking you kids up if I decide to go. We went out on the dive boat twice during our stay. Our first trip was guided by Guilia and Carol who took us snorkelling to some pretty fantastic spots. Safety again was their priority and they accounted for everyone on the boat and we had an amazing experience. Our last day we went out with Lindy and Guilia as our guides. Lindy is a local guy and boy did he know the reef. Every nock and cranny. He dove down, pointed stuff out, surfaced, and explained what we were seeing. The green Moray Eel was the highlight on this trip along with the turtles and squid. Thank you to Lindy, Carol, Joan, Guilia and Michael. You guys are awesome!!!!!!

The activities team: I would be remiss to forget this group of young people. Spencer took us for a great walk one morning where he pointed out flora and fauna of the island. He is a wonderful young man. Spencer joined us for dinner on our last night and we where honoured he chose us to dine with. I do not know all of the names of this team but let me say they were all fabulous. We enjoyed watching a beach volley ball game each evening at sunset and they set up a big screen TV in the lobby each day so people could watch the Olympics. I went out to the beach very early on Sunday morning and passed one of these great guys setting up for the Canada Gold Medal Hockey game. Awesome and thank you!

OK so that is the truth as I see it. Make your own decision. Part of me wants to say it is a bad place so that it doesn't become too popular. I would be lying though. My husband and I will be booking for 2 weeks next year. Same place same time.... Gracias to the wonderful people of Roatan.

Room Tip: Umm they probably won't be able to honour your request. I hear the second floor is better but w...
Thorndale, Canada
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 26, 2014

To start with the food sucked. There was next to no selection for the main courses and other than the pasta bar most of it was only ever lukewarm. The salad bar was pretty non-existent. It consisted of a bowl of lettuce, and some shredded carrots and the cold beets that were left over from the night before plus they only had thousand island or oil and vinegar for salad dressing.

The resort is run down and in need of a major overhaul or wrecking ball. As for the bar it very limited, there was one night where they ran out of dark rum with a half hour to go and they close at 10:30.

As mentioned in other reviews the hot water is sketchy at best. We had a little longer than six minutes of hot water most days but not enough for two showers, one back to back. As well the shower head was all clogged up so we got little pressure as well.

The staff is friendly and take pride in their work but they really don't have much to work with.

Room Tip: If you want a good room go to a different resort
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple

Been to Henry Morgan Resort? Share your experiences!