“Wow...what a change” 5 of 5 stars

Save Saved
You added Henry Morgan Resort to your Saves list
Booking.com CheapCaribbean
Henry Morgan Resort
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   Carretera Pavimentada Ppal, West Bay Beach, West Bay, Honduras   |
Ranked #11 of 11 hotels in West Bay
“Wow...what a change”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 12, 2013 via mobile

WOW
This was our fifth stay at the Henry Morgan and all I can say is: what a good change!!
During the last two visits we realized that probably the property had some problem maybe because of the Economic Crisis worldwide but this time everything was perfect and even better than three years ago. A lot of good food, good wine, good service and a lot of improvement such as the deck connecting the pool and the beach (we spent there most of the time) and the beach Restaurant.
The staff? Always the BEST…all of them.
We are planning to join them again in September (some fishermen we meet told us that those are the best days of the year and there is also an important fishing tournament.

• Stayed January 2013

705 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (111)
  • Polish first
Toronto, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 11, 2013

My husband and I just returned from a great week at the Henry Morgan. As seasoned travellers, with more interest in local foods, sailing and diving than high end hotels and gourmet food we were pleased with the quality of the meals, activities, accommodations and service. As our Nolitour representative Diane put it best, Roatan is NOT Mexico or Dominican Republic. It's definitely more developed than it was 10 years ago when I was last on the island but the infrastructure and economic investment are still a work in progress. Arrive with an open mind and you'll have a great time.

We arrived with plans to dive and sail. Unfortunately we couldn't locate any sunfish to rent in West End or West Bay. We found lasers however in West End (beside Sundowners) for $20/day. There are also several catamarans that you can book for day sail but all of them are with a captain and crew and usually lots of people.

TGI, the onsite dive operation at Henry Morgan is well run, very professional with newish equipment and inexpensive packages. Divers are mostly hotel guests. Great for independent travellers or groups. I'd recommend doing some research before going as there are at least 10 other dive shops within walking distance but TGI has a great reputation and really amazing staff. Google TGI and Roatan Tourist info for details about the prices and dive sites but here are a couple of things that I didn't find while doing my research: TGI organizes 3 dives per day plus arranges night, shark and other speciality dives throughout the week. The dive shop is well organized with a locked area at night for guests to store/dry personal and/or rented equipment. There's a tank for cleaning equipment that is emptied daily and a large shaded area with tables and chairs. The boats hold about 20 people, are comfortable and easy to get onto from the beach. With Nolitours./Canjet you can also take a 20 KG gear bag so no need to leave your equipment at home. I was impressed with the entire team. A big thanks to Lindy, Denis, Arthur and Rudy.

I also spent a lot of time snorkeling. A quick 5 minute walk down the beach in front of Infinity Resort and I could enter the water to the left of the pier and snorkel out to the 1st or 2nd white ball and then head south (left) along the reef towards the wall at the end of the cove. Lots of marine life and a good healthy reef. I saw turtles, barracudas, eels, porcupine fist etc..No problems with the current. Bring your own gear as the resort doesn't provide "free" rentals.

Finding original, local art is challenging but not impossible. Most of the gift shops and beach kiosks sell the same south American paintings and masks found on other Caribbean islands. We were most impressed with Penelope's Island Emporium (www.penelopesislandemporium.com). Located at the West Bay Beach Mall, you can get to it by either the road that goes past Henry Morgan toward Bananaram Dive Shop (watch for the pink mall on your right) or from the beach take the sand path at Bananarama 100 yards and turn left onto the paved road and you'll find the pink mall on your left. Penny Leigh represents about 6 local artists, selling items such as hand painted tin fish, jewellery, wind chimes and women's hand woven purses. Ask for details about the artists. Each piece is very unique!

Additional suggestions:
- Walk along the beach to La Rocco or Bite on the Beach for a drink and meal.
- The food in the restaurant isn't labeled so if you have food allergies bring your epi pen and be careful.
- Take the water taxi or book the Henry Morgan shuttle ($5/person return) to the West End for a drink at Sundowners.
- Pack music and an alarm clock for your room
- If you don't mind stairs request a second floor room for higher ceilings, less noise and more privacy.
- Purchase wifi for $20/week when you arrive. It's only available in the lobby but the cappuccino bar is close by.
- Try the chicken, beef and bean burritos and hand cut fries at the beach bar
- At night the beach bar is transformed into the a la carte restaurant. Book 24 in advance at the front desk.
- When you arrive, ask for a registration form, complete and submit it and you'll immediately get your room key, safe lock, tv remote and towel cards.
- The airport is tiny, with almost no air conditioning, few shops and is very very slow in processing travelers. Arrive early, take a book and just be happy that it accepts international flights.
- Dining is fairly casual so save the dresses and high heels for another trip.

Enjoy!

Room Tip: Rooms on the second floor are quieter.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
toronto
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 6, 2013

We just returned from a 7 day vacation through New Years. Overall the resort is very beautiful. Decor is very attractive. Lovely outdoor seating too for a nice evening chat. Rooms are quite cute. Beds are comfortable. All the rooms are reached via a covered walkway so there is no fear of getting wet during the random rainstorms.

The beach is great. The resorts' section itself is fairly short, but, the overall beach, which contains many different restaurants, other hotels, is quite long. Unlike Cancun, the feel is very quaint and almost 'Key West' like. The snorkling (located to far left of resort) on the beach (easy walk), was amazing. Better than the Mayan. Great coral formations and lots of colourful fish. The water was surprisingly warm for December. The weather was also very warm. It was humid at times. Rain every so often but not for a long period of time. The boat traffic can be a bit busy, but, its manageable.

The resort service was excellent and it was clean. The biggest opportunity for the resort is to upgrade its quality of food and drinks. The food was OK... never really bad.. but I had one too many nights of chicken with boney pieces. Breakfast was fairly standard. The evening entertainment was OK. At least they had some live music each night, which livened things up. I would suggest that if the food is a concern, that you price the resort vs. the others in the area. If its sufficiently lower priced, I would recommend it just given the physical location/rooms etc. There are enough restaurants to choose for dinner if the buffet looks unintersting. We never used them but they all looked fun and well visited. Note; only 1 of 4 of us got any tummy problems. Net; overall I'd say food is safe- just eat smartly. Also.. its not well advertised, but, there is an option to one al la carte meal. You preorder so not true a la carte. Its arranged at front desk.

If you visit Roatan suggest bringing a bunch of US $'s. You can get away with this currency. Bring lots of $1 bills for tips. The service was always friendly and proactive. Much better than Mexico or Jamaica. We did not resent the tips. The island is very poor but proud- nice to help them out.

Also; if you come to Roatan- BRING FLASHLIGHTS- lots of random power outages & its DARK! at night.

Re trips-- we didnt do an organized one. We used the water taxi to WestEnd. Not a ton to see there but worth it. Don't take hotel shuttle. Too complicated. We used onsite dive shop (TGI) for a snorkle trip. You can negotiate pricing. Although.. you get what you pay for. They didnt warn us that the water was rough. Scarey ride to the snorkle locations & murky conditions.

We will be back- perhaps not to this resort, but, its an option pending what we decide re meals.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Toronto, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 29, 2012

Henry Morgan is a nice and laid back resort... the pool and beach area beautiful and are under-represented in the online pictures I found before arrival. The food is better than any of the other island destinations I have travelled to. The staff are genuinely nice... with extra special mentions for the dining room manager, "animation team" and TGI Dive instructors.

However...

The power has gone out a few times since we got here yesterday... a routine occurance to do with island life we were told. Which is fine. Having grew up in outside a city I can deal with this with a candle or solar led light for our room because it's a safety hazzard trying to navigate a strange room at night... they have these in the dining area but there are none in the rooms. I am glad I'm not travelling with children.

And...

I can't sleep so figured I'd get a head start on everyone finally have a shower... but there is no water AGAIN. I realize when there is no power there is no water. But at the moment there is power and I was told they also have problems with their water pumps. Yesterday a lady come to the desk in a towel yelling in a foreign language at the poor desk clerk about it happening so many times. So I thought I'd go to the lobby and let them know to get it fixed in time for breakfast. It was the middle of the night right when I came down (3:30am) and there was no one at the desk to advise of the water issue. I tried using the the lobby phone to call the swithboardand let it ring for about 10 minutes and no one was here to answer. Very poor. I have been using the lobby internet and it's 5:00am now and just heard someone else calling the swithboard... no one is answering. Very poor. With no sleep, if I don't get a shower tomorrow I am afraid I'm going to be the next crazy tourist yelling at the desk staff.

They need to get 24 hour staff together and take care of their serious water supply issues. Definitely not happy right now. Hoping the staff make up for this by week's end.

Room Tip: get a room on the second floor near the end of a building so you won't hear people walk past you...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
Hamilton
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 28, 2012

Wow.. Roatan is fantastic destination. The snorkelling is amazing and off the beach. For divers I'm sure it's paradise. The Hotel is clean, the staff is excellent, the location is perfect, there was nightly entertainment. Drinks were average and meals were average, you are not going to starve.
Safe, clean and family friendly.
The beds are hard, take DEET. Go to the Island Doctor on the beach, speak to Umberto for $15.00 p/p for an amazing time at Blue Lagoon and a wonderful tour of the island coast. (Snorkelling x2 is included in this price 2 hr trip, we managed a sunset into ours) Hotel prices and some tours are way too pricey.
I would return in a heartbeat... Travelled Dec 20-27 2012
I want to keep this place a secret..... (Newer fancier hotels are being built on the same beach)
Cruise days are a bit of nuisance, but necessary I suppose. Prices on the beach are great, 3 beers for $5.00 US if you want to venture outside the AI (All Inclusives) Visit the Beachcomber it has been around for 10 yrs and Lennie is great.

Room Tip: We stayed in Room 133 (hard beds) but others did not have the same issue. Clean and excellent staff...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Montreal, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 23, 2012

Just returned from Henry Morgan with a group of 16 people, the hotel is very clean and well maintained, the lighting is supposed to come from the sun outside however it rained for 4 days so the lighting in my opinion in the lobby needs to be improved....

The staff, animation team and Nolitours agent were all fantastic and very very eager to please their guests, they even arranged an A la carte dinner for us one night!!

The rooms are bright, clean and come with a small fridge and a hair dryer very basic but really what else do you need in Roatan??

The beach is beautiful crystal blue water, though when we were there the water was rough and choppy but on the few calmer days it was fabulous!

The food, well it is an all inclusive buffet, it covers the basics and varies from day to day but it was acceptable and exactly what I expected as I read up on it prior to leaving.

Roatan - great little island that has not been over taken by huge big tourist resorts, people are friendly and nice and very accomodating.

All in all the place was exactly as I expected, some people may be a little disappointed with the food but a few nights we went out to one of the local restaurants served fresh seafood and prices are very resonable priced (there are quite a few right down the beach)

We will definitely return for another visit but will make sure it's a little later during the year so there is a slighter chance of rain.

Room Tip: Be sure to check out what you are getting before booking so you are not disappointed.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
Carlsbad
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 19, 2012

My husband and I purchased a sixteen night stay at Henry Morgan through cheapcarribean.com. When we arrived, we were given our own private villa, because we had previously let the front desk know that we were celebrating our honeymoon. Our villa was beautiful, and the hotel staff greeted us with a very warm welcome.
The resort itself is an older resort (it is in need of a little TLC), but it is very quaint, comfortable, and safe. The pool is beautiful. The inside bar area has a few pool tables, a stage for the nightly live music and performances, and brightly colored couches. The outdoor bar area sits right on the beach, and sometimes, dinner is served out there.
All meals are served buffet style, but there are lots of choices. The food options usually include pasta, vegetables, beef, pork, or chicken, fish, rice, potatoes, fresh fruit, salads, and breads. The desserts are amazing! There were a few nights that we wanted a change of pace though, so we walked next door to The Argentinian Grill, where we had the best crab that I have ever tasted.
The beach in West Bay is AMAZING! The water is absolutely beautiful - crystal clear blue and warm. We played in the pool and in the ocean all day, every day. We couldn't get enough of it. The snorkeling and diving are some of the best in the world. There are sand fleas and mosquitos though, so take bug spray with 30% Deet in it for your feet, calves, and elbows. Get some Avon Skin So Soft Bug Repellent for the rest of your body. Wear it EVERY day.
The highlight of Henry Morgan is definitely the staff. They go out of their way to make you feel welcome. There is live music every night, so we spent every evening dancing with the staff to "Mr. Texas." We really felt like we were leaving our family and friends when we departed. We still miss them, and we can hardly wait to return!
There are fancier resorts in West Bay, but if you enjoy local flavor and a very welcoming environment, you will appreciate Henry Morgan. We plan to return to Henry Morgan again and again!

Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Henry Morgan Resort? Share your experiences!