“Don't let the size scare you away!” 4 of 5 stars

You added Paradise Beach Hotel to your Saves list
4.0 of 5 Resort   |   West Bay Beach, West Bay IB3100, Honduras   |
Ranked #9 of 12 Hotels in West Bay
Lindsay, Ontario,Canada
“Don't let the size scare you away!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 14, 2013

We were a little unsure of what we would get at this little place in Roatan but were very pleased with the over-all experiense. It was like a readers digest version of all inclusive resorts. We have stayed in many larger and grander (fancy decor) resorts but this one had a intimate feel that we loved. We met many other guests who were great to talk to. The rooms were very clean, food was plentiful and very tasty! although not a large buffet we never went hungry and never had a dish presented that was unedible. They made something different each day and did not repeat much. The beach is busy but there was quiet places on the resort to get away from the "boat people" and venders. If the beach bar was busy it was only a one minute walk to the bar at the buffet restaurant. Anything you wanted was a one minute walk away. The best part of this experience was the water and the fish we saw just off the beach! Snorkeling was fabulous! No need to take expensive tours as it is all there just off the beach. Please dont stand on the coral, many of the cruise ship people are uneducated about the dont touch policy in the ocean. I would stay here again for sure. The manager by the way is getting in better wine which should be there now. All the staff tried very hard to make our stay a pleasant experience.!

Room Tip: The rooms that face the beach are the best we had the second floor 1105 and we had a huge balcony wi...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
Juan Pablo G, Public Relations Manager at Paradise Beach Hotel, responded to this review, March 16, 2013
Dear Lindsay,

Thank you for your review and comments. We are very pleased that you enjoyed your stay and as you quite rightly pointed out, we are importing better wine, so that the customer may benefit from an even better experience.

So pleased to read that you enjoyed our location and the fact that we are within a Marine Reserve. The crystal clear water, wildlife and the beach are second to none and although we try and educate all our visitors on the notion of preservation, we are always pleased when we read of those that have understood the message.

We look forward to your next visit, so that you may continue to explore our Island.

Best Regards,

Paradise Beach Hotel.
Roatan Swiss Hotels

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (46)
tara,ontario
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 3, 2013

I would like to start by saying we have traveled for years, and stayed at resorts that were 3 - 5 stars. This little resort is every bit a 3.5 only because it has some limitations. I would rate it a 4.5 star on it's efforts and staff. The resort was perfect for what we were looking for, we did our research before we went and I suggest everyone do the same. If you go on any trip with unreal expectations then you will be dissappointed, if you go with an open mind and attitude to have a good time you will!. Our room was on the top floor, 1109 and we loved it, always spotless, and spelled clean every day. The good service never ended, the staff work from 6-10 every day, but I never had one staff member be rude or not smile. They are wonderful people, and are very proud of their country, as they should be. The Island is beautiful, go and see it, explore and see what you went to see. If you have gone to be waited on hand and foot, go to Mexico to your 5 star and be a princess for the week.! The only complaint we had all week, was that when the boats come , they take over the beach. The bar gets busy, and they buy their drinks, it appears that the all inclusive people are not noticed during the times that ship customers are on the beach. Our suggestions would be to have one bar only for All Inclusive, as we did get frustrated waiting for the bar tender to look our way to order a drink. The food is good, limited but very nice, no complaints about the quality of the menue. We will most likely return in the future.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
Juan Pablo G, Public Relations Manager at Paradise Beach Hotel, responded to this review, March 10, 2013
Dear Tara,

We are pleased that you enjoyed your stay at our gorgeous resort and made the most of the natural beauty around you. We look forward to a return visit.

Thank you for your recommendation regarding the bar and cruise ship visitors. We are trying to find ways to accommodate everyone as comfortable as possible.

Best Regards,

Toronto, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 1, 2013

Awesome value for the money spectacular beach very clean staff was very friendly only really ate breakfast and a couple lunches but was amazing dive shop second to none right on the hotels property nice little plaza with a great coffee shop excellent new beach bar with live music some night all in all a great experience the only problem i have is the showers suck but hey its not like home

Room Tip: choose a room in the actually hotel not in the little builldings it seems newer
Dear Guest,

Great to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us and although you did not take advantage of our 3 restaurants we are nevertheless pleased that your stay with awesome.

We are very proud of our beach and that we are located within a Marine Reserve, which not only makes our beach second to none, but the crystal clear water, marine life and the amazing snorkelling that can be enjoyed just meters from our beach bar makes it even better.

We look forward to your next visit, so that we can delight you with our restaurants.

See you soon,

Roatan Swiss Hotels
Washington DC, District of Columbia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 23, 2013

I think this property has the potential to be an all around decent resort. Noting that the staff were very friendly, polite and helpful when needed, and my room was very clean. Most of the staff I encountered seemed to be very hard workers and anxious to please guests. And, the price was decent for what I received. However, there are a few items that could have turned my entire experience into a nightmare had I not practice one of my favorite mantras..."Relax & Release"!

First, my experience started at the airport when I attempted to get the shuttle to the hotel. An airport employee called the hotel to inquire about the shuttle for my sister & I only to be told that our rate did not include shuttle service, after having called in advance to verify shuttle availability. We were forced to take a taxi which cost $30USD; The upside is, two other travelers were going to the same property, in a taxi, after having been told the same thing, and we were able to carpool and split the taxi cost. Upon check-in the desk agent stated that shuttle service was for guest who were staying 7plus days (my stay was 5). Then the clerk proceeded to tell the other travelers that their stay did include shuttle service, but they didn't call far enough in advance to request the service. While the property did not reimburse me for the taxi ride and shuttle confusion, they did offer me FREE breakfast during my entire stay!

Second, the room had a stale/musty odor which quickly dissipated once I turned on the A/C and opened the balcony. Once the air was circulating, I closed the balcony door and didn't have a problem with room odor anymore during my visit. SUGGESTION: I know that the property is concerned with conserving energy. Though, I would suggest getting the room completely ready for visitors, to include turning on the A/C. First impressions last a while and the room odor was not pleasant.

Third, I was familiar with the power going out on the island. However, it slipped my mind during check-in. The staff did not offer any flashlights for emergency use. The power went out twice while on the island, and I visited another property with a generator during the outage.

Next, the walls seem thin as my neighbors were extremely loud and I could hear loads on noise next door.

Then, after the power outage my A/C made LOUD noises ALL night and my refrigerator leaked all over the floor. Now, to be fair here, I want to say that these incidents went unreported until check-out only because I stayed out of the property long periods of time and when I returned to the room, I simply wanted to sleep. I didn't want to be bother by repair men in the middle of the night/early morning.

Now the kicker, I ate lunch at the bar, on property, one day. Huge mistake! I ordered a basic pizza; it was so bland and the crust was entirely too thin for adequately hold the sauce and toppings. But, that was not the most annoying thing...my sister and I asked for two plates, in order to share. We proceeded to watch the server grab two dirty plates, which we saw removed from tables, and RINSE them off for us...yes, rinse NOT WASH!!! We immediately asked another server to wash us clean plates using soap, which he did and aggressively washed the plates! Needless to say, we didn't finish the pizza and we didn't eat at the property anymore during our stay. It was disappointing.

Finally, I like to end on a positive note! Check-out was a breeze and there were no billing mistakes. he staff, again, were pleasant and warm. We were provided a shuttle to the airport, but for $5USD/pp - not bad! The shuttle driver was courteous as expected!

Room Tip: All off the rooms that I saw seemed similar. I'd simply suggest calling ahead to ask that the A...
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your very detailed review on our property and I would very much like to invite you again to visit us so that you can see how we have taken you notes to heart and made a number of modifications.

I am sure you might not be aware of this, but Roatan works on Diesel Generators and since we try and be environmentally aware, we try and consume as little power as possible and leave a small a carbon footprint as possible. It is for this reason that we do not switch on equipment in advance to our guest's arrival. Furthermore, we encourage our guest to turn off equipment as they leave their room to help with take care of our environment.

You are correct that flash lights are not offered to guests as we have invested on a back up generator for those events. We are surprised that you did not choose to stay with us and enjoy our generator and the comfort of your room during the outage.

What a shame that you did not report your issues to our front desk, as you would have been pleasantly surprised by the level of efficiency and quality of repair that our Maintenance Crew would have done. They realize that our guest are there to enjoy, relax and forget about the everyday concerns, which is why they take care of the problems quickly and as hassle free as possible. Always making sure that our guest enjoy their stay to the utmost.

As with the maintenance, it is a shame that you did not report the issues you had with our beach bar to our restaurant. Action would have been taken and you would have had a completely different experience.

Once again, I do hope you will return to our wonderful island and enjoy the beauty that our beach has to offer, while diving in our Marine Reserve. We look forward to your next visit, so that you can see how much we have improved.

Hoping to see you soon,

Ancaster, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 23, 2013

The staff at this resort were all very friendly and helpful. The room and all the facilities around the hotel were clean and well looked after and the gardens are well kept.
The food at the buffet is tasty and generally of a good standard, although we found some dishes to be extremely salty (such as the re-fried beans at breakfast). Breakfast was probably the best meal of the day, with lots of delicious fresh fruit, french toast, eggs and good coffee. If you don't like the look of the dishes being offered, you can ask for an omelette or toast and they will make it for you. Generally, the buffet selection is not large, but it is acceptable and nobody seemed to go hungry, this is better than seeing food go to waste as happens at some larger resorts. If there are no coffee cups in sight, look in the cupboards underneath to find your own fresh supplies, as the staff have trouble keeping up with demand sometimes.
All-inclusive allows you to have one a la carte meal per week. This means you can choose between a pizza restaurant or the beach bar. The pizzas are good, large and easily enough for two to share. There is an extra charge of $5 if you choose the lobster dinner at the beach bar as your a la carte, which is probably worth it because it looked really good. However, i didn't understand why there was this extra charge, as there are more expensive meals on offer which you can have without the extra fee.
The beach bar can be busy and noisy, but is a great place to spend the evening with friends. It was especially full for hockey night in Canada, when the TV showed the game. It also shows soccer from all over the world. Some drinks are not included in the all-inclusive deal, so be careful when ordering or you'll get a shock. It is not clear on the menu which items have an extra cost, so ask the staff when ordering.
The cruise ships seem to call in at West Bay on Tuesdays, Wednesdays, Thursdays and Saturdays, so the beach can get crowded and the snorkeling areas overrun by people. We arranged to go on excursions those days, so it wasn't a big problems for us.
The diving shop at the resort is truly excellent and very helpful, even if you only want to snorkel. The snorkeling is really excellent. I'd say it is among the best beach snorkeling in the world and I've been to many places. Go early in the morning, Go before breakfast, to see the best things.

However, we had several (small) problems during our stay.
(1) The toilet in our room didn't flush properly, and the handle broke on the second day.
(2) There was such low water pressure that the shower was barely dripping water and actually stopped completely sometimes. We reported these problems to the hotel staff, and they were very responsive. They tried to fix it, but there was a broken pump somewhere and it took 2 days to get everything working. As the hotel was completely full they could not offer us a different room. The staff had trouble understanding why we were complaining, and had to use a waitress to help with translation. The duty manageress spoke no English.
(3) there are only 15 hairdryers in the hotel to share between 50+ rooms, so, grab one when you check in or they will all be gone. This may seem a minor thing to many people, but if it makes you unhappy about the photos of your vacation, it becomes very irritating. Take your own hairdryer if you have one.
(4) The food in the buffet is not always easily identified and the labeling is not clear. It would also be preferable to keep meat, seafood and vegetables separate so that if guests don't like something, they can choose. For example, why put pieces of ham into the vegetable dishes, chicken into the salad leaves and shrimp into the rice? If you are unable to eat these things for dietary, allergic or religious reasons or just don't like them, the choice becomes very limited as the buffet selection is small.
(5) they have special meal nights. Unfortunately, they don't inform you what they all are or when they happen. We were at the resort for valentines day, and booked our a la carte meal for that evening. We were not told that there was a special meal provided for everybody, so we felt like our special meal was wasted because everybody got it anyway. However, when we explained this to the hotel, they agreed to allow us an extra a la carte meal.
(5) the wine selection is limited and poor quality, so don't bother with it because the cocktails and local beers are good anyway.
(6) the check-in process is very slow at the hotel.
(7) the airport in Roatan is also very slow, with long lines for everything and limited facilities while it is being redeveloped.
(8) Some of the (Sunwing) excursions were not well explained to us.
i.e. do not expect a "quiet day out" if you go to French Cay, as you will be blasted by loud 1970's rock music most of the day. Also, the snorkeling at French Cay is not included in the cost, but is available for an extra $10 which includes the equipment and boat out to the reef. The food is good, though.
(9) There are not enough staff at the resort. Those who are there seem to work really hard and do their best to help, but can be swamped when the hotel is busy.
(10) Don't drink the local water! You are provided only 2 bottles of water in the fridge, and you have to fill these up yourself during your stay. There are pure water coolers at each of the bars, so remember to keep your bottles. Don't throw them away. They have no recycling facilities on Roatan.

I repeat some of the tips given by other reviewers:
- Take bug spray with you and use it. We did and were fine. Others had plenty of bites.
- There are no face cloths provided. Take some with you.
- Take a hairdryer with you (North American plug)
- Take flashlights (there was a power cut during our stay).
- Internet access is not included, but costs $5 per hour, $10 for 24 hours, or $50 per week, however, the WiFi service is patchy at times.
- There is no "Duty Free" shopping near the resort, but prices in Eldon's supermarket in Coxen Hole are very low and this is the place to buy rum and coffee beans.
- Other shops are a short walk from the resort if you want souvenirs, but the selection is very limited. Prices seem lower when you are out on excursions, because you can haggle and the items seem to be the same.

Overall, we'd say this is a good resort, but you have to remember it only has 3 stars. If you are here for the beach or the diving and snorkeling, you won't be disappointed. Don't expect luxury, though.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your throughout review and we look forward to your next visit, so that you can experience the numerous changes that have been implemented since you left. As I am sure you will see from later reviews, we have taken stock your comments with regards to the wine and food description as well as the themed nights.

Our staff have continued to improve and grow as the weeks and months have gone by and that is the reason that I am confident that on your next visit you will be impressed with the changes.

We read every review as they come and although we have taken a while to reply, thank you for pointing out the hair-dryer situation.

Until your next visit, so that you can continue to enjoy our gorgeous crystal clear water,

4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 20, 2013 via mobile

We just got back from Roatan Paradise Beach Hotel. The resort is well maintained with excellent friendly staff everywhere. The room we had was modern with a nice large balcony. The food was just OK but was ample with a good variety.

We went with a large group. One evening to a reserved diner together the one waiter serving did his best but was overwhelmed with evident poor support from his kitchen...over two hours to get all the meals. This was the only disappointing service during the week.

I highly recommend the Westbay Divers for scuba diving which is located within the resort. Malcolm, the owner and his staff went well beyond the call of duty providing our group (all certified divers) with an exceptional diving experience for the week. They operate a very professional, safe and flexible dive service. If you are planning to dive in Roatan, West Bay Area check them out.

Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
Dear Guest,

We are very pleased that you enjoyed your stay at Paradise and we have taken note with regards to our service at the restaurant. We are also very pleased that you enjoyed the service provided by our Dive Centre and we look forward to your next trip.

West Bay is located within a Marine Reserve which make our waters crystal clear and the diving second to none. As you point out, Diving at Roatan is awesome and we are always happy to see others value it as much as we do.

See you next visit,

Cobourg, Ontario
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 16, 2013

Just back from a week at Paradise Beach. We have done many all-inclusives in the Caribbean and to echo some other reviews you will not find more friendly, helpful staff at any resort anywhere. Without exception from the groundskeepers to maids, bartenders, servers, you are always greeted with a friendly smile.
It is a small resort which has it's good and bad points.....all depends on what you are looking for. For our group it was perfect. Clean rooms, right at the beach with a handy beach bar. No 1/2 mile walks to get to things. Fast help from staff if you have any issues. Never a problem getting beach chairs even on busy cruise days.
Pools are small-bigger one is right beside dining room. Smaller one is nice to cool off in in a pretty coutyard. Buffet is small and typical for an all-inclusive. We have been to large resorts like Moon Palace in Mexico with huge buffets, but at the end of the day we are still eating the same foods and avoiding the same foods so it was fine.
We would stay here again.

Room Tip: Top floor coutyard- room 109 awesome.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends

Been to Paradise Beach Hotel? Share your experiences!