“Once you vacation here, nothing else 'fits the bill'!!” 5 of 5 stars

Special Deal
Fiesta de Año Nuevo
Ranked #7 of 12 Hotels in West Bay
Bracebridge, ON. Canada
“Once you vacation here, nothing else 'fits the bill'!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2013

This review is going to be short & to the point!

The Mayan Princess only has 54 rooms but trust me when I say everything from the rooms, to the food, to the restaurants, to the bars, to the beach + everyone who works there, from the Manager on down - no other word can describe our two week vacation - EXCELLENT!
When our holiday was over, we were indeed sad to leave but will definitely go back
again & again!

Room Tip: I honestly do not think there is a bad room in this resort.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
Janeth T, Manager at Mayan Princess Beach & Dive Resort, responded to this review, September 25, 2013
Thank you so much for your great review! We appreciate it. It's great to know that we were able to meet your expectation and make this an amazing experience for you and your friends. Come back soon! It will be a great pleasure to have you as our guest again!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (133)
Seattle, Washington
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 25, 2013

Some say it has improved from last year, I can't imagine how horrible it may have been. Some friends and I decided to stay at the Mayan Princess in Roatan, the location is beautiful, the building is attractive, but that is about it. At the reception, the service begins to show it's true colors, the lack of managerial skills and untrained staff, will have you spinning your head as to why you are paying a 'five star' price for a 'two star service'. , had to drag our luggage without any of the staff sitting around 'having a great time of their own' not assisting. not even making eye contact in order not to be bothered with customer service. no name tags, conveniently so, as to not be recognized or mentioned by name in any uncompleted or ignored requests. not to mention the large cucaracha i found roaming on top of the clean bed...tried to call front desk, however the phone did not work, neither did the lights, the power was shut off. The food left much more to be desired, intead of cooking, they deep fry everything into a very dead crisp, thus ensuring no one will complain about any food not being cooked throroughly. We enjoyed the beach, however, we are never returning there. The beautiful beach being the main attraction is also available to other better managed resorts, we were told the Infinity bay next door takes exquisite care of its guests. That's were we will stay on our next visit.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
Thank you for taking the time to review us. We appreciate it. We truly value the opinions of our guest and we regret to hear that we did not meet your expectations. We have many guests who feel the direct opposite and have boasted of our accommodations, services, and variety in food.
On a brighter note, we’re happy to know how much you enjoyed the beach. Once again, thank you for your review. We hope to see you again in the future with a stay that will meet your expectations and wish you the very best. Have a nice day.
Greenwich, Connecticut
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 17, 2013

If you are going to dive this is the place for you. If you are going for the all-inclusive and want to eat, drink, lay on the beach an sleep than this is also the place for you. If no one in your family is diving and you want romantic dinners and shopping it may not be for you. Upon arriving you will be greeted with an ice cold glass of something like mango juice. Drink it! I didn't because was nervous about the ice. The rest of my family drank it and were fine and by day two I was having ice in my drinks and its totally fine. We brushed our teeth with bottled water and made ice with bottled water. Wasn't too sure about the water in the room. The room itself was great. We had a room with a cozy king bed, a living room, full kitchen, another little room with a queen bed and a large balcony overlooking the waterfall section of the pool. The beds were made every day with fresh towels, soaps and water. We didn't do all-inclusive as didn't want to have to eat there for all meals-maybe we should have as options are limited. We did enjoy Bananarama (a 2 minute walk down the beach) Nothing fancy but edible. While out be wary of ordering shrimp-we didn't feel it was fresh and was very small. We did take the water taxi to West End a few times (10 minute ride and about 3$ pp) Its cute. Very rustic. I recommend going early or later as its very hot walking around. Some restaurants, gift shops (nothing i wanted to buy) and little bodega type places with bananas water and random stuff. (I suggest bringing snacks from home for the room). No need to over-pack. Very casual there. Certainly no need for a long sleeve shirt. Bring books and cards. There is zip-lining, boat tours, diving and the hotel had kayaks you can take out for free. Was very nice. We also went out a couple of times on boat rides. One of the times we went snorkeling. Crystal clear water. Everything is expensive. Good to have small bills for tipping and boat rides were $30 pp. I read a lot about sand fleas and Mosquitos so brought tons of sprays. One can per family is sufficient. Mosquitos werent bad but if you sit in the sand you'll get little bites. They don't hurt and go away quickly-wasn't a big deal. The breakfast is very good at the hotel. Omelette station, fresh fruit, latte's, cereal, toast etc. Everyone there is very nice. It was a great place to relax. While on the beach you will be asked several times per hour if you'd like to buy things. Many from small children. If you forget your sunglasses no worries! A man will be there reminding you! It gets a bit much at times but they are trying to make $ like the rest of us. Do remember its a very poor Country. If you have room for extra pencils, shoes, clothes, notepads etc you can ask around as to who to give it to. They don't have a lot. My husband was diving every day so this was great for him. The beach was nice until about 1:00 when it gets too hot. Great time for a nap or zip-lining or boat ride. It gets dark there around 6-6:30. We didn't get any shots and were fine. Another family we met did get shots (or were taking pills for various diseases) and had stomach issues-we did not. Good to take probiotics though. Also read good to taker garlic pills as bugs don't like the taste. All in all was a great trip. Wouldn't want to go during busy time. If you're big into the party scene you'd like it when it's busy. Off-season was perfect for us. If you want a little store for water or snacks ask where 'the mall' is. It's at he entrance to the resort - a short walk down dirt road. Also a coffee shop there and cute store with dresses and jewelry. I had a great trip!

Room Tip: We were on the second floor above the check-in area. Loved it. Some other rooms may have looked nice...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
McAllen, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 15, 2013

My husband and I stayed at the Mayan Princess from August 5 - August 9, 2013. We were a bit unsure as this was our first trip to Roatan. This however was the best experience ever and we are definitely going back. From the prompt pick up at the airport, which was included in our All Inclusive package, to greetings at the front desk, early check-in because our room was ready, I can't say enough about this great place. Our room was very clean and recently renovated, over looking the tropical pool area. The amazing clear blue waters were steps away from our room. I also took the time to write many staff members that made our stay amazingly enjoyable and made us feel very welcomed and gave us that person attention. Edwin at the front desk, started it off with our prompt and speedy check in. Alex, Glenda, Lani, Darwin, Danny & Paola were amazing staff members at the bar that gave us amazing service, fast service, and were calling us by name by the second day. That we very much appreciated and it made us feel very valued as guests. Karen, a waitress that worked at the fine restaurant Luna Maya, waited on us 3 nights and she was amazing, friendly, and very courteous. Now the chef at Luna Maya, Magenta, I cannot say enough about this amazingly talented and gifted young lady. I am a vegetarian, ordering ala carte didn't leave me much option but to order a plate of side dishes. I told Karen to just order just that for me. She later returned with a beautiful creation by the chef. Roasted yellow bell pepper stuffed with rice atop grilled asparagus. the chef did not have to do that for me, but she did. We again returned the next evening for dinner and she again surprised me with a mixed vegetable entree with pureed sweet potatoes and beets. Mmmmm, it was delicious. THANK YOU Chef Magenta for taking your job above and beyond what is expected of you!!!! Don't get me wrong, my husband enjoyed delicious lobster, juicy steaks, and other carnivorous dishes just as amazing!! These are the experiences we bring home and talk about. They make us want to go back!! Even the gift shop employee, Janeth, was a conversationalist and very friendly. We actually sat there with her for about 30mins just talking before we headed out to the airport for our departure. I can't forget about the amazing beach and water. this was a perfect place for our snorkeling being that the reef was just feet away from our hotel...Amazing!!!! HATS OFF to the Mayan Princess for truly making this vacation so memorable, accommodating, and relaxing for my husband and me. Just one more person, Juan the Gen Manager or Manager, not sure, he also took time from his busy day to talk to us by the bar about 5 minutes. We talked about how satisfied we were and praised his staff. I thnk it is important to let Administration hear positive feedback, not just complaints.This is truly a great resort all around!!!! Thank you for our great experience. We will be back!!!
Yvette & Jaime Garza

Room Tip: It's quiet Mon-Thurs...parties begin on Friday. Who can complain, it's paradise!!!!
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Kitchener, Ontario
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 15, 2013

We went with a large group for a wedding and had a wonderful vacation. The resort is very small and intimate and I really enjoyed being just steps away from everyone and everything. The rooms are very big (more room then you even need) and clean. The grounds and pool were very nice and well kept. The beach was beautiful, lots of cute bars along the beach. It was nice to hang out inside or outside of the beach club. Snorkeling area was just had short walk from the hotel and was great. Food was very good. The buffet had a good selection at all meals. The staff at the resort was very friendly and tentative, overall great service. The hotel is very quiet, which I enjoyed, they only had night entertainment a few times during our week there (karaoke, a musician, and fire dancers). The island itself was beautiful and green. We took a taxi to their shopping area and another day we went on a snorkeling tour to Little French Island which was fantastic.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
Houston, TX
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 5, 2013

We enjoyed our stay at the Mayan Princess. The beach was beautiful, right in the middle of the West Bay coast. It took about 5-7 minutes to walk to either end. You can walk right out and start snorkeling anywhere on the beach, but starting at the end provided the best and safest option (out of the way of boats).
The resort staff was very friendly and helpful when asked. There was very little service while on the beach, but the resort beach front is small in width and the closest bar was a short walk so overall it was fine. I'm used to having more wait-staff on the beach offering to bring drinks. I found the mixed drinks to be very weak even when asked for extra, so in this regard it was ok that we had the all inclusive package. If I was paying out of pocket every time I would have complained. But, the bartenders were very sweet and tried every personalized drink rendition we asked for.
The food overall was very good. There was a few items we were thrilled with, but that is to be expected anywhere you go. We ordered lobster every night and most nights it was grilled too long so just make sure to ask them to cook it less when you order it. We enjoyed the fish options every night as well. The fish & conch soup was delightful. I personally loved that grilled vegetables were available every lunch & dinner, and a couple of times at breakfast. The omelet station was a nice option as well and breakfast did vary day to day so it was a nice mix of options. The service during our meals was very good, and again they were all so nice.
The room: this would be my negative portion to the review. It was decent enough, but not very nice by my standards. We had the beach front villa, 2nd floor. It was very spacious, but very outdated. There's some particular items that needed a good cleaning or replacing, I chose to overlook these vs complain and make the best of it. The room had a small kitchen with plenty of appliances but one drinking glass - random. Our fridge was stocked the day we arrived because I called down to request water, beer, diet soda - vs. a couple of random local sodas. After that, it wasn't stocked again. To spare detail, just make sure to keep asking for it if it's not done. I'm not sure where the disconnect was as everyone seems very nice & helpful, but as a feedback to the resort - make sure the refrigerators are stocked appropriately, esp. if there are certain requests.
The bed was very comfortable, and the a/c worked great. I slept fabulously the whole stay. Our balcony was very large and shaded so it was nice in the evenings to sit out there to continue our chats after the resort bar closed.
I think the pool was pretty, but had no appeal for us to get in it. I know there isn't much the resort can do to change that now, but an infinity pool, a swim up bar, or at least to be able to see the ocean from the pool would have made it more enticing. Other than a couple of children one day, I didn't see anyone at the pool.
Overall I wouldn't be opposed to go back, it was an enjoyable stay. I think the resort can make a nice place into a spectacular place very easily and really boost their business. There's much potential there.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Chicago
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2013

My wife and I recently returned from the Mayan Princess. We stayed there about 9 days, and I went on a number of dives.

First off, the staff was excellent. They all work very hard and are friendly and attentive. The food was great. The chef made certain that there were healthy choices, salads, fruit, grilled fish, so if a person wanted to eat healthy meals they certainly could.

The rooms were clean and maintained. The dive shop was great and the dives were reasonably priced.

So I would very much recommend this resort but there are a few concerns that you might wish to add when searching for a vacation spot. These concerns in no way should reflect poorly upon all the good points that I made earlier, but I wish I knew about this before we stayed at the resort.

There is horrifying pounding music ( something like what you would find in a disco in Berlin) from the bar facing the beach. This goes on morning, noon and night. My wife and I complained about the music and the volume and they would change it, but I know of none of the guests that liked the music, especially in that setting. I asked for music that would reflect the culture of the region and country.

They completely forgot about picking us up from the airport and we waited at least an extra 45 minutes ( with other couples) after all the other passengers were picked up by the other resorts. They also forgot our wakeup call for our early morning flight, but fortunately I woke up early that morning.

Finally, over the weekends they have a family special and dozens of families descend on the resort. Picture lots of screaming kids all day long ( sometimes nights as well). The kids have absolutely no supervision, nether do the parents apparently. One Saturday night my wife and I had a glass of white wine, salad, beautiful sunset, grilled fish, but three kids standing 5 feet away screaming at the tops of their lungs in a attempt to bring the dead to life. They climb over the furniture, walls, etc, throw food, not a pleasant way to enjoy a room costing $330 a night.

Perhaps an adult only stint would help this resort if they wished to change the balance of things.

EWS

Room Tip: Unless you disco dance in your sleep request a room far from the bar.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Janeth T, Manager at Mayan Princess Beach & Dive Resort, responded to this review, September 17, 2013
Thank you so much for taking the time to review us. We appreciate it. It seems you had a good time at the resort. Providing excellent customer service is very important to us and it is always our pleasure to serve. Please accept our apologies for the inconvenience caused during your stay. Our goal is always to ensure that we are providing the best in both service and quality. Your feedback helps with our improvement process. I will be sure to share your review with our General Manager and staff. We hope to see you again and meet your expectations in the future. Have a lovely day.

Been to Mayan Princess Beach & Dive Resort? Share your experiences!